• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Angus pedigree question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BRG

Reaction score
For all you Angus guys, can someone tell me about this pedigree? Good, bad, in between:

http://search.redangus.org/animal/UAN:13336744

Thanks,
BRG

OK, here goes.
036-con: not structurally correct and hard-doing cattle
pro: good carcass

Top Gun and Winchester-the saying went years ago, not
to invest in any Angus cattle that correlated "BANG" in their
name. It was good advice.

Lucy's Boy-con: bad attitude and I think bad bags

Way back you have Power Play: good cattle, "Mr. Clean Genes".
And it appears a progeny of 054 which GDAR 054 was one of
my favorite Angus lines. I think Cedar Hills bought him (John
Hamilton) and he put them on the map. But I'm sure you know
to be more concerned about the breeding which is up close to the individual you are considering.

Me, I wouldn't be interested in this pedigree. Too many holes,
IMO. :D

Hope this helps!

Well I'm not a New Design fan...I do have several cows that have quite a bit of Indreland breeding- and they are really nice moderate framed easy keeper nice uddered maternal type cows... Altho this cow doesn't appear to be- much of their cattle they are raising today are pretty heavily linebred...

Most their cattle ultrasound really good for marbeling which may go along with the locker grass fed beef sales program they operate...

Indrelands have a good program- raise good moderate framed cows on just a forage feeding program and the only negative I have with their program is they have followed Sinclairs example and used/are using a lot of breeding to EXT and his sons...And that worries me on docility- altho some of those I've had with EXT 2-3 or more generations back have been plain old pets...
They have a sale coming up at their ranch north of Big Timber on Dec 10th..

One thing I noticed in their catalog was they put the average weights of their cows:
2 yr olds: 997
3 yr olds: 974
4 yr olds and older: 1159

So you are talking truly moderate cattle..These numbers fit pretty close to the cows from their program I have...

Faster horses hit 036 dead on just missied the poor udders part. He was a bull IMHO set the Angus breed back in terms of cowherd function.

I've studied and used alot of different lines over the last 20 years and have to agree with Faster Horses on the New Design 036 lines. Very good from a carcass standpoint, but probably would not want to bulid a bunch of range cows off of him. But you should always consider the outlier factor. I'm using a bull heavily from Jorgensen's that has a Mohnen Modern Design mother, and I cringed :? when I saw his pedigree for the first time, but when I saw his mother she was nearly perfect made :???: , and his daughters are the same way, so just because it's a pedigree that isn't perfect in your mind, I would suggest letting your eyes make a decision on the cow. The bottom side of that pedigree is pretty maternal oriented, so she may be a good one. Hope the advice helps.

Faster horses said:
OK, here goes.
036-con: not structurally correct and hard-doing cattle
pro: good carcass

Top Gun and Winchester-the saying went years ago, not
to invest in any Angus cattle that correlated "BANG" in their
name. It was good advice.

Lucy's Boy-con: bad attitude and I think bad bags

Way back you have Power Play: good cattle, "Mr. Clean Genes".
And it appears a progeny of 054 which GDAR 054 was one of
my favorite Angus lines. I think Cedar Hills bought him (John
Hamilton) and he put them on the map. But I'm sure you know
to be more concerned about the breeding which is up close to the individual you are considering.

Me, I wouldn't be interested in this pedigree. Too many holes,
IMO. :D

Hope this helps!

:agree:

Latest posts