• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Another branding poem

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jinglebob

Reaction score
Are we sick of this subject yet? Seems I've written quite a few about calvin' and branding.

Sensations

The rough feel of a hard twist rope
the scratchy prickle of a horsehair mecate
the sun warmed leather underneath my butt
on a smooth muscled colt who's a little bit snotty

the voice that calls out a friendly greeting
as I unload my horse in the neighbors yard
the far off rumble of approaching trailers
the slap of the hooves as they hit ground thats hard

the warm aroma that comes from my partner
who stands and abides at his teather
as I snug up cincha's both front and back
I savor the smell of horse and leather

the sight of the crew that I ride with
as we gather the reluctant prey
the drifting of the clouds in the soft spring breeze
the cavorting of unknowing calves as they play

the cries and yips of the riders
like coyotes chasing cattle through the gate
the gruff bawling and raspy bellers that the cows make
trying to find their calves in a confusion that we create

the dancing flames of the branding fire
the bite of coffee the wives bring
the scent of wood and manure and old corral dust
these are some of the sensations of my spring

How absolutely appropriate for today.....just set off about 8-10 riders to gather 350 head and then the REAL fun begins...a dozen kiddos in the yard, all playing and ropin (each other), the barbecue warming with the food for later, the branding iron is getting hot, the calves are bawlin and the horse trailers are still rolling in!!! What a day!!! :D :D :D

Another good one from JB, I will never tire of the subject of calves and branding, don't worry about that. Ranchwife, are you sure you have time to be on the computer this morning? You better get to work :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
SW, ranchwife has probably been up since 2AM cooking .

actually, started the 32 pounds worth of beef roast simmering at 1 a.m. and really looking good about now....falling apart nicely and awaiting the secret bbq sauce....got the homemade potato and macaroni salad already chillin and the brownies are done...the beer is on ice....the hay bales are ready to use as chairs and the "hair is burnin" :lol: :wink:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Hope all goes great and you have a super day with friends and family..

quite a cool breeze out there, but NO SNOW!! :D so, yes, it is turning to be a good day....at last count, had 23 folks out there helpin including a couple of youngster trying their hands at wrestlin'.....got a few young ladies out there vaccinating and tagging!!! God....ya gotta love this time of year!!! Hope you are healing up okay.....busted ribs are absolutely NO FUN and they take forever to heal up....keep the ibuprofen handy and if all else fails, wrap those ribs tightly and it WILL ease the pain!!!!

I hope your branding went well and everyone is in one piece, ranchwife. Today would not be a fun day to brand around here. We have whiteout snow flurries every so often, and it is dang windy and cold. 33F. This is our third day of the cold and who knows how many of the wind. Two mornings ago I had 15F. The wind dies off with the day at least. We need more moisture soon, as the cold and wind has sure raised cane with our grass situation. Welcome to May tomorrow. Maybe it will be better.

Jake, our situation is the same as yours. Had those white-out snow flurries all morning. A friend of our branded today, and by golly, they got 'er done!!! Not enough moisture to get the hair wet, but sure a miserable day.

I want to do a poem about him branding in a snowstorm. Maybe someone will see fit to help me. I wanted it to be one of those lyrics, or what do you call a poem that has 5 verses and they don't all rhyme?

I have this much:

There's this Norwegian rancher we know~
Who insisted on branding in snow
His help really fussed;
In fact, even cussed

and I need help with the last line. Or change the last three, even.

Thanks for the help! I'm sure this will turn out better than I could do on my own!

It is called a limerick.

'Cause cowboyin's a hard row to hoe.

or

'Cause their ropes were too stiff to throw.

or

Don't you know it's cold out here. Hello?

or

And threatened to tell the AFL-CIO.

or

When's dinner? They desire to know.

or

Oofta. Must we go on with the show?

or

Santa, this ain't the North Pole, don't you know. Ho ho.

Can you tell :) time's hangin' kinda slow? :)

The poems are great and very approiate for this time of year! We branded another group today and will finish the last group this up coming week. It is great ot see some out on grass,but it is rather cool for this time of year in central KS.Have had around freezing for a couple morning and more in the forecast-don't know if it hunt the headed wheat or not. It was a perfect day for branding cool near 55 and a bit breexy-so much easier on cattle and people when it is not so warm.
Hoping Ranchwifes crew got along well-sounds like lots of food and fun following the work!! Much needed I am sure!

Thanks, Soapweed! Now I just have to choose one.

Gosh, you came up with so many...I couldn't get just one!!

I plan to have some fun with this~like it will make the paper!!!! On second thought,l paybacks are horrible with this guy. He can top anything you do to him. Maybe I'll just print it out and scatter it around to everyone.

At any rate, THANKS!

Dang! Ol' Soap's been a hidin' another of his talents! :shock: :lol:

I got another one on this subject from a slightly different angle. I'll get it posted one of these days.

Been a might hectic here the past couple of days.

My loving wife shared her cold with me a week ago and they dang thing is still hangin' in there.

Had 3 loads of heifers come in yesterday morning. First 2 loads got here at 5 am. and the other truck drove off into the median just east of Kadoka. Asked for SH but nobody wanted to visit about him. Wonder if them fellers got a grudge or what! LOL

Buried the pot clear to the bottom of the trailer and we had to go back and get the cattle off from it. Didn't tip it over and nothin' hurt but pride and the truckers checkbook! Said he was gonn'a have to pay for repair of the median. Hiway patrolman was a local down there and a good feller. Cattle ran of the stuck pot and up a portable corral chute/alley and right on to the other truck. I just love good cattle!

Got back about noon and unloaded and ate and then spayed the heifers and got done about 5.

Neighbor who branded today called last night and told me to wait an hour to come as he wasn't starting untill 8. Cool! I'll sleep in. Woke up at 5:30, an hour before the alarm went off! So much for extra sleep.

First time I ever branded spring calves in a blizzard, but it didn't amount to much. Got them done about 1:30 and ate and came home to check for new babies and got a new calf, but no colts. Tried to kick my cold and rest, but it didn't work.

Was a great day and got to throw a few good loops, but some dang fool bought me a throw rope instead of a ketch rope, so my re-buildin' arm got a work out! I kind'a wonder if i could swing a rope if the wind wasn't blowin'!

Had a few near wrecks that worked out all right and two colts learned about draggin' calves and nordforks and done real good.

This next week and a half are filled up with brandin's and recievin' cattle. I just love spring! Wish winter would quit and let spring show up with warm rains and sunny skies! :lol:

Anybody out there who wants to help build new fence, just come spend a few weeks. Got a couple of miles to build. Push everything in with the loader, so you don't even have to dig post holes or tamp them. I just love sandy country! :lol:

Rode my new saddle the last two days and my butt was smilin' the whole time.! :shock: :lol:

Time for a hot bath and bed. Night all and hope your days are as good as mine have been the past few days!

JB, the report was the branding here went well~blizzard and all. They did 250 head in a couple of hours. The only ones that got cold was the ropers. And they had a few throw ropes as well. Pretty hard to control your rope in a stiff breeze. My husband said his young horse really didn't want to face into that stuff!! But he did good, as well, and learned to drag a few calves in opposing conditions. He is a really cute little bugger, and we like him, but he has a few things to get ironed out yet. Nothing that a few wet saddleblankets won't take care of.

We delivered some bulls to a rough stock rodeo school yesterday east of Pierre. Drove in snow squalls all the way down. It was so darn cold, but the kids kept getting on horses. "My goodness youth and tough still go hand in hand."

Latest posts