• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Another Day Feeding...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WyomingRancher

Reaction score
I thought I'd post some pictures of feeding and the snow before the ground blizzard starts in tomorrow :D .

Cows literally "coming out of the woodwork" to head down to the feed ground.
Fall2008108.jpg

Trailing down the hill... I don't mind going down it, but if the snow gets softer, I have to scratch my way back up, and I don't like it :shock: ! At 10 degrees this morning, there wasn't much risk of it getting too slushy :D .
Fall2008113.jpg

Out of the way ladies!
Fall2008115.jpg

The lazy way to remove the hay core from the spinner if it doesn't completely spin off... at least I found a good use for this boulder stuck in the meadow :wink: .
Fall2008117.jpg

I don't know what the phenomenom is, but as soon as I cull a crippled cow from the herd, another one immediately takes her place :roll:.
Fall2008118.jpg

Fall2008122.jpg

Still lightly snowing a little this morning.
Fall2008125.jpg

Fall2008126.jpg

When I got back home, I took all the dogs for a hike... three border collies cooped-up in a house makes for crazy dogs and a crazy person :D .
Fall2008129.jpg

We hiked out to see the heifer calves.
Fall2008131.jpg

I plan to swap pastures with the heifers and cows soon, and the "buffet bar" will be disapearing. I filled the feeders this week hoping the heifers would locate there during the storm and upcoming ground blizzard. Their pasture has very limited shelter... we'll see if it works... if not I may be out collecting heifers this weekend :D .
Fall2008132.jpg

Hey, Wyoming rancher, they look just like our cattle, (mostly black, a few red and a couple gray) only ours have babies at their side....they are GelbviehAngus cross, aren't they? Your heifers look just like ours :nod:

Are you a member of National Gelbvieh Association? With the membership you get their Gelbvieh World Magazine. This month our cattle are on the front cover, and more pics and blurb about is in the middle :)

Great set of pictures. thanks. The cows don't seem to mind their "white coats"! It is still too mild here for happy cows outside. The snow falls on them and melts - makes for humpy backed cows at times.

Hanta Yo said:
Hey, Wyoming rancher, they look just like our cattle, (mostly black, a few red and a couple gray) only ours have babies at their side....they are GelbviehAngus cross, aren't they? Your heifers look just like ours :nod:

Are you a member of National Gelbvieh Association? With the membership you get their Gelbvieh World Magazine. This month our cattle are on the front cover, and more pics and blurb about is in the middle :)

Yep, you got the breeding right :wink: . I used to get the magazine, but since our bull breeder quit raising bulls, I no longer receive it. Congrats on being the featured article! :D I tried to read it online, but couldn't figure out how to enlarge the print.

Do you know of any Balancer breeders raising bulls at elevation, and papping them?

Our high was 19 around noon, 16 most of the day. We pregged 210 head for the neighbor. I forgot my camera, but it would have been under several layers enywho. Nice day for a horseback ride. The vet was taking a long time to preg one, and Chet, who was pushing horseback, hollers out, "what are you doing? Warming your hands?" The vet is a sport, and affirms that is precisely what is happening. Chet then asks, "are your ears cold?" The vet says he likes 'em cold!

Looks like your grass is getting pretty well covered up. Your cows are lucky that you have a good supply of hay. They look well cared for. You are a good steward of the land and cattle.

Glad to hear about the Gelbviehs.I have been raising them for a few years.Using Gelbvieh bulls for 12 or 13 years. Try to A.I. as many cows as I (we) can.We also try to do the same for the heifers. We have several A.I. sired cows already on the farm. KCF Landmark,Free Agent,Freedom
,Carolina Fortune,and a couple of SPUR beretta 703G daughters. We are using a Carolina Fortune son as our cleanup/herd bull.Love the disposition of these cattle. I (we) have a couple of Balancer bulls and heifers. We have been using Rito 6I6 for our balancer calves. They get hear easy and grow off well. We have bulls and heifers for sale but I dont think at 1400ft. elevation they would fit into your program. But if we were in the same neck of the woods I would try to help anyway I could.

Our farm Prefix to search the gelbvieh data is TTTF.

Blkbuckaroo said:
Those pics put a chill in me.It's 20 degress here and clear,cold enough for now.Things look in good shape there.

Me too,Im gonna hafta find my thick long handles now,dang cold aint good for nuthin..............good luck

PS those cattle sure look to be in good shape,you done a good job tendin em.

WyomingRancher said:
Hanta Yo said:

Yep, you got the breeding right :wink: . I used to get the magazine, but since our bull breeder quit raising bulls, I no longer receive it. Congrats on being the featured article! :D I tried to read it online, but couldn't figure out how to enlarge the print.

Do you know of any Balancer breeders raising bulls at elevation, and papping them?

Hey, I'll check that out for you. We are only at 3500 ft here, what's your elevation? We are in the process of AI'ing cows, we AI'd heifers just before Thanksgiving. We use balancers on the cattle who are 50/50 themseves, Angus on those who are more Gelbvieh and Gelbvieh on those who are more Angus. :D

kevin said:
Glad to hear about the Gelbviehs.I have been raising them for a few years.Using Gelbvieh bulls for 12 or 13 years. Try to A.I. as many cows as I (we) can.We also try to do the same for the heifers. We have several A.I. sired cows already on the farm. KCF Landmark,Free Agent,Freedom
,Carolina Fortune,and a couple of SPUR beretta 703G daughters. We are using a Carolina Fortune son as our cleanup/herd bull.Love the disposition of these cattle. I (we) have a couple of Balancer bulls and heifers. We have been using Rito 6I6 for our balancer calves. They get hear easy and grow off well. We have bulls and heifers for sale but I dont think at 1400ft. elevation they would fit into your program. But if we were in the same neck of the woods I would try to help anyway I could.

Our farm Prefix to search the gelbvieh data is TTTF.

Interesting... most of my Balancer bulls are half brothers out of either Freedom or Extra 150D from Flying Y Cattle out of Laramie, WY. I LOVE the calving ease and dispositions of these cattle as well :D . I joked to Flying Y that they should sell Freedom bulls with a warning label since these babies came so early :D . I'll have to look your cattle up, thanks for the prefix.

Hanta Yo said:
Hey, I'll check that out for you. We are only at 3500 ft here, what's your elevation? We are in the process of AI'ing cows, we AI'd heifers just before Thanksgiving. We use balancers on the cattle who are 50/50 themseves, Angus on those who are more Gelbvieh and Gelbvieh on those who are more Angus.

Thanks for any help! I run 7500-8000+ feet year-around :D .

I LOVE the calving ease and dispositions of these cattle as well . I joked to Flying Y that they should sell Freedom bulls with a warning label since these babies came so early

We've found low birthweight bulls meant early calves, one year we bred for heifers to start Sept 1, they were all born by then :shock: so now we expect our first ones to come the middle of August.

I had to go to my folks house this morning so I checked out the cover of Gelbvieh world mag. I liked the remark of last 3 miles of muddy and slick roads. We just have a small herd.I work 2nd shift full time so we just run thru our cattle all times of the day,always somebody different looking @them and so we just gather on weekends and do different projects.

I went to an A.I. class and have been doing some of it but my brother is the proficent one so if i run into problems he finishes it for me.The easy disposition is always great too. with 3 kids sometimes in the truck and looking after cattle it really helps to have easy cattle.plus it is easier to sell cattle off the farm when they are calm.

Latest posts