• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Another day of play with hay

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Apairofpoocheswithporcupineproblems.jpg

A pair of pooches with porcupine problems
Yearlingheifers-1.jpg

Yearling heifers
Cormorants.jpg

Cormorants
Pelicans.jpg

Pelicans right nearby
KosmoKidtryingtokountkows.jpg

Kosmo Kid trying to kount kows
Samekiddifferentjob.jpg

Same kid, different job
Pullingtherake.jpg

Pulling the rake
Therake.jpg

The rake
PeachBlossomandhermowingmachine.jpg

Peach Blossom and her mowing machine
Twoninefootbars.jpg

Two nine-foot bars
Myweaponofchoice.jpg

My weapon of choice
Listeningtotapesasshemerrilymows.jpg

Listening to tapes as she merrily mows
Andawayshegoes.jpg

And away she goes
Themeadow.jpg

The meadow
Lookingtheotherway-1.jpg

Looking the other direction
Sameviewfrombackaways.jpg

Same view from back a ways

Well we can tell who's boss! :wink: :) The guy that's got the fancy tractor with all the bells and whistles, I'm sure! (Just bugging ya, Soapweed.)

Shelly said:
Well we can tell who's boss! :wink: :) The guy that's got the fancy tractor with all the bells and whistles, I'm sure! (Just bugging ya, Soapweed.)

The baler bells and whistles used to work, but they about drove me batty. :? They are now disabled, and life is much more fun. :) As long as the AC and radio work, things are fine. :wink:

Good lookin hay crew,lookin at the picture of the heifers,I can see why it is called sand hills,amazing yall can get that much grass growin on it,we have some sand ground that is not productive at all....................good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Good lookin hay crew,lookin at the picture of the heifers,I can see why it is called sand hills,amazing yall can get that much grass growin on it,we have some sand ground that is not productive at all....................good luck

So do we. Some of our country is pretty good, and some of it is hardly worth paying the taxes on. If it didn't "fit in" and "square up" the ranch so well, and look so good on the map, some of it would not be worth owning. :wink:

I'm jealous Soap. We have yet to turn a wheel up here :( Another inch of rain last night, and more for Monday.

On the plus side, it rained so hard last night that my equipment is nice and clean. Just like a pressure washer.

Rod

From looking at the pictures it appears we have a similar rake to yours. This year we have went to cutting our hay with a haybine. In a few places where constant turns are a must a sickle bar is still used. The thing we are all noticing is how much cleaner of a field we leave behind when raking behind the haybine. When we used the sickle bar all the time scatter raking was done. Do you guys scatter rake?

CattleArmy said:
From looking at the pictures it appears we have a similar rake to yours. This year we have went to cutting our hay with a haybine. In a few places where constant turns are a must a sickle bar is still used. The thing we are all noticing is how much cleaner of a field we leave behind when raking behind the haybine. When we used the sickle bar all the time scatter raking was done. Do you guys scatter rake?

No. We used to scatter rake with a dump rake, but it didn't seem like we accumulated enough extra hay for it to be worth the effort. Another problem with doing it, is that there are always dump rake teeth breaking off and falling out on the field. Those broken teeth are not at all compatible with either hay balers in the summertime or hay processors in the wintertime. They make a heck of a banging noise while going through, and something usually gets wrecked. :? :(

I'll tell you the secret to baling behind straight bar mowers, which I learned quite a few years ago from Joe Westover. You run the V-rake around and around the field in the same direction that the mower tractor went. On a square or rectangular shaped land, when you get done raking it around in a big spiral, then you make an "X" across the finished raking so that the corners get raked also. If this is done correctly, there are very few scatterings of hay that occur.

rm livestock said:
WHAT ARE YOU HAYING WITH A 40-20 OR MAYBE A 40-10?

A 4020 pulls the mowing machine, and a 2840 is the rake tractor.

cowpony said:
:clap: kosmo kid is taented :clap:

Soapweed, we're tired of pictures of you and that ol' mule- we want one of you standing like Kosmo counting the herd :!: :!: :!: :wink: :p
<roar> <roar> that's the roar of the crowd you're hearing

nr said:
cowpony said:
:clap: kosmo kid is taented :clap:

Soapweed, we're tired of pictures of you and that ol' mule- we want one of you standing like Kosmo counting the herd :!: :!: :!: :wink: :p
<roar> <roar> that's the roar of the crowd you're hearing

But I might poke myself on those long sharp ears as I fall down. :? :)

No more trees than you guys have got, where on earth did them dogs find a porkie? Did you have to import him?

I went out to get a battery cable off from an older wrecked pickup the other day and when I raised the hood, there was a racoon under the hood next to the air filter. He just stayed there with his head somewhat down and acted kind of weird, so I got my gun and sent him to racoon heaven.

My ears still hurt. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soapweed-

If you take a pair of Diagonal Pliers (Dikes) and cut those Porky spines in half BEFORE YOU PULL THEM OUT, it goes MUCH easier!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soapweed-

If you take a pair of Diagonal Pliers (Dikes) and cut those Porky spines in half BEFORE YOU PULL THEM OUT, it goes MUCH easier!

DOC HARRIS

Thanks for the tip. We will try that method next time (which I hope is a long time in the future :wink: ) One dog had a lot of quills clear down in her throat, so Peach Blossom (thanks, Doc, for giving her a dignified name :) ) took that dog to the vet.

Jinglebob said:
No more trees than you guys have got, where on earth did them dogs find a porkie? Did you have to import him?

I went out to get a battery cable off from an older wrecked pickup the other day and when I raised the hood, there was a racoon under the hood next to the air filter. He just stayed there with his head somewhat down and acted kind of weird, so I got my gun and sent him to racoon heaven.

A fella up the road had a good coon story at the coffee shop a few weeks ago. Seems they left the little door open for a few days on the roof of one of their steel granaries. A very explorative coon climbed the ladder on the bin and got into the almost-full bin of corn.

Some days later, my buddy went up and saw what he thought was a dead coon stretched out against the far side of the bin. So, he sent his son up with a pitchfork and shovel to throw the stinkin' thing out of the bin and clean up any coon poop.

Well you can imagine the reaction of both the coon and the son when he stuck that fork under the riled beast. Hair standing straight up! Yup, on the coon and the boy.

Son climbs out of the bin pronto and proceeds to tear big strips off of dad for setting him up! Dad is busting his sides laughing and has a hard time convincing son that he really thought the coon was dead!

Dad sends son up into the bin with the .22 and tells him not to miss. They hear a big bang, and son climbs out of the bin, ears ringing.

Dad asks- did you git'im? Son says -nope. Dad says - did you put a hole in the bin? Son says - yup, sets the gun down and walks away.

Now they're both mad. So I don't know who ended up shooting the coon. As for the hole in the bin - Mom says -isn't that why they invented duct tape?

Maple Leaf Angus said:
Jinglebob said:

A fella up the road had a good coon story at the coffee shop a few weeks ago. Seems they left the little door open for a few days on the roof of one of their steel granaries. A very explorative coon climbed the ladder on the bin and got into the almost-full bin of corn.

Some days later, my buddy went up and saw what he thought was a dead coon stretched out against the far side of the bin. So, he sent his son up with a pitchfork and shovel to throw the stinkin' thing out of the bin and clean up any coon poop.

Well you can imagine the reaction of both the coon and the son when he stuck that fork under the riled beast. Hair standing straight up! Yup, on the coon and the boy.

Son climbs out of the bin pronto and proceeds to tear big strips off of dad for setting him up! Dad is busting his sides laughing and has a hard time convincing son that he really thought the coon was dead!

Dad sends son up into the bin with the .22 and tells him not to miss. They hear a big bang, and son climbs out of the bin, ears ringing.

Dad asks- did you git'im? Son says -nope. Dad says - did you put a hole in the bin? Son says - yup, sets the gun down and walks away.

Now they're both mad. So I don't know who ended up shooting the coon. As for the hole in the bin - Mom says -isn't that why they invented duct tape?
:clap: :clap: :clap: funny! (but I hope that corn wont go into our cornflakes)

Hey Soap, I had a question for ya. It dawned on me yesterday as I was actually able to go cutting.

I see plenty of southerners using sickle mowers, tedders and rakes yet. I was wondering if there was an environmental reason that you couldn't use mower/conditioners? One pass would cut, condition and rake, saving you some diesel fuel and lot of time.

Rod

Latest posts