• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Another of my "Hobby Projects"

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
This is an old end table that I couldn't pass up. I don't always know what I"m gonna do with it when I get it..but this is what I came up with. The cabinet to the right of the chair came out of my husbands great grandmothers house, they were demo'n it and I got both kitchen cabinets off the wall....crow bar n hammer...Hubby standin there shakin his head. The log walls, was another project...he really thought I was nuts!!!!
I'm not a big fan of painted furniture, I've had to strip wayyyy too many projects and hate it, but when it's nothin expensive, or collectable, I say..what the heck, why not?

End Table before pic

End-Table-before.jpg

End Table after pic

End-Table-After.jpg

greg said:
Wifes been wanting log walls, had her convinced it couldn't be done thx alot Lilly

A feller I know bought a place with an older stucco house. They nailed rough 1x10's to the walls and chinked in between. It looks just like a hand hewn log house. They took an axe and made some marks on the boards to make it look better. Even did it on the inside. Looks real good. They stood the boards up on the ends to finish out the corners. He said it don't take much upkeep.

Lilly---me thinks you need to make a road trip up north....somewhere in the general vicinity of my house and help me fix 'er up!!! :wink:

While we are on this subject, I need some advice. We are putting a window in upstairs. Our house has a steep peak to the roof. I would like to put some kind of a 'trendy' window there. What would look best? A window with two window above that are higher in the center to match the peak of the house? One window above two that open that is higher in the center, again to match the peak of the house?

Or a window with a top that curves up? I really am not good at these things. Our house has two dormers that go out onto the roof on the west side and this end of the house is on the south. You really see it when you are driving in, so I thought one of these type windows might look sharp.

Anyother ideas?

Really appreciate some input in this subject! :)

Jinglebob said:
greg said:
Wifes been wanting log walls, had her convinced it couldn't be done thx alot Lilly

A feller I know bought a place with an older stucco house. They nailed rough 1x10's to the walls and chinked in between. It looks just like a hand hewn log house. They took an axe and made some marks on the boards to make it look better. Even did it on the inside. Looks real good. They stood the boards up on the ends to finish out the corners. He said it don't take much upkeep.

Does anyone know of that being done using slabs like we got in the Black Hills to use for windbreaks? They weren't all that great as windbreak material, rotted too fast, but I have an idea for using them in our remote ranch camp. Just an old one room shack some neighbors gave us for hauling it away from their place, but would like to spruce it up a bit......but will probably have to live to be a hundred to get all done I'd like to do.....someday. It has boring painted sheetrock walls, and don't want to get it too nice......it would make me too mad if someone came along and trashed it, as can happen, but knock wood, hasn't happened to us, ever.

MRJ

I think the slabs would work, MRJ. Just nail them up the right distance apart and then chink in between. Put uprights at the ends.

Jerry's house looks really nice doing it this way and I think if you used slabs, they would look more like real logs. Wish I had some slabs to do this with.

I have an older barn we are going to tear down and do this kind of thing with the boards. Might even do it on our house, for siding.

Another older feller around here built him a small building and used rough pine boards for the siding and put them up like lap siding. Looked real good too.

I'm an "old board" fanatic...hubby swears he can hear the gears turnin when I'm sleepin even.....gettin ideas for old lumber...or my many other project ideas. hehe

I wanted to use slabs in my livin room....but couldn't find the quantity needed. Most of the old slabs at the time of my idea were rotted too much for any kind of use.

Faster horses said:
While we are on this subject, I need some advice. We are putting a window in upstairs. Our house has a steep peak to the roof. I would like to put some kind of a 'trendy' window there. What would look best? A window with two window above that are higher in the center to match the peak of the house? One window above two that open that is higher in the center, again to match the peak of the house?

Or a window with a top that curves up? I really am not good at these things. Our house has two dormers that go out onto the roof on the west side and this end of the house is on the south. You really see it when you are driving in, so I thought one of these type windows might look sharp.

Anyother ideas?

Really appreciate some input in this subject! :)

Can you keep to the age and style of the house? People around here have often put in arched windows in older homes but they weren't in keeping with the general style. Tthough they looked trendy at first somehow I think in the long run they'll seem wrong. As an example from my own frequent dabbling mistakes, I tried making a stained glass tryptic window and had hubby frame it as a divider inside the house but it isn't in keeping with a ranch style house and therefore, though I liked doing the project, it isn't really additive.

Why not try some scale drawings of the alternatives you mentioned and show them to a friend with some art knowledge? They'd have a better feel for the scale of the window, too. sounds like an interesting project!

What is the age of my house? Well, I really don't know. It was moved in here a long time ago. Like it is really old...with a steep roof...like so the snow could slide off the roof a long, long time ago.

When I was in Sheridan I tried to find some homes with steep roofs to see what had been done to them, and believe me, I saw everything imaginable. I looked at so many I got confused! I am afraid if we put in windows that point up towards the peak of the roof, it will accentuate the steepness. Also, it is a long ways from the peak to the ground, since we are putting in a daylight basement. I want something to break up the distance. We are kind of on our own with this project and it has taken forever. I finally have said that it is like Noah building the ark...it really is disgusting that it has taken so long, but I am trying to be patient. Nothing will be gained by getting upset :mad: , but I am getting closer to the END OF MY ROPE!

It took us 7 years to build our house.....I think the longer it takes the longer your rope grows....We did it all ourselves except havin the foundation poured and had someone put the decking on and havin carpet layed. Everything else we did ourselves as we could afford it. during those 7 years there were plenty of heated arguments, lots of shopping around, and we got lucky alot of the time and found discounted prices on materials that we wouldn't have got to do if it had went up in a hurry. There's still things that need doin on our house...and eventually they'll get done (I hope) but it gave me the chance to decide how I really wanted somethin to look rather than hurryin thru it and then wishing I'd done it differently.

Latest posts