• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Another Offering

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
Halleluiah Barley Hit Five Bucks

This spring hundreds of cattlemen will travel thousands of miles and spend millions of dollars in search of their new herd bulls. In these days with DNA markers to tell you how efficient they will feed, how juicy their steaks will be and how tender the cuts plus E.P.D's for everything from calving ease to growth to how long the daughters will last it should be easy to spend your money wisely. I mean it's all there- you can use your ranchers eye to appraise his soundness-your vets microscope to check his fertility and the computer to crunch the numbers. Picking the perfect bull for your operation should be easy-set a price range and have at it. In these days of total information it's simple to pick the bulls that will sell highest-the FATTEST. With all the tools at our disposal invariably ranchers will pick out the fattest bovine stud muffin to waddle their pastures. It doesn't matter that the extra grain has cooked his feet-crisped his liver and fried his man swimmers into almost total inactivity. Overfeeding is the proverbial sugar in the genetic gas tank of a future beef bull.

Why does it happen-because darn it all they look so good-there is nothing prettier than a pumped up-fluffed out-fresh from the sale beef bull hopping off the trailer back at home. It's hard to imagine the bedraggled little bag of bones that will come back in the fall. Breeders will defend the practice by proclaiming that bulls lose weight running with cows so they have to go out to pasture fat. Does an NHL coach tell his players to get fat over summer because there's a long season coming. He doesn't and most beef bulls have almost as many mating opportunities as pro hockey players.

When barley was cheap it generated good economic sense to fill your bulls up with it and watch the dollars roll in. Maybe now that the skies the limit on grain prices this practice will go by the wayside. In the long run it's probably in everyone's best interests including the bulls.

Well fire at will!!!

Right On! I have been buying range developed two year-old bulls for the last few years because I was TIRED of my bulls coming in looking like he!!
I was hesitant about it at first but after watching these bulls gain :shock: weight during breeding season I am a believer. It will take a special bull to make me change my ways now. If you are going to spend the money on a decent bull it's better to have one hold up than one that gets foot sore and melts away.

Praise the Lord. Lots of barley for sale and a believer in forage raised cattle. The perfect storm. :D

I have always been amazed at how super fat bulls MELT like a kids icecream cone when they start chasing cows on the mountain. They seem to have more feet/leg issues and don't breed nearly as many cows as a nicely fleshed forage fed bull. Just my 2 cents, but those over, fat bull test style bulls can breed somebody else's cattle! :wink:

The sad part about it.... and I'm not a purebred breeder..... is that demand & supply go together. A close friend of mine who is in the bull business once asked me " Do you know how tough it is to sell bulls that aren't fat?"

This mentallity is changing in the commercial industry but ooooh is it slow to catch on.

Oh where were you guys a month ago on cattle today forum.
I got my butt chewed because one of our bulls was not as fat as others thought he should be. Both of our main herd bulls look thin, but boy that yearling bull went to town along with the older bull.
We are around 12 head of last year in calving.

Northern Rancher said:
. . . . . . He doesn't and most beef bulls have almost as many mating opportunities as pro hockey players. . . . . . . .

Well fire at will!!!

Sorry hockey fans, but that is the best line I have heard in a very long time ! :shock: :D
NR if you wrote that piece you are going to have to hang another shingle out, ask your editor for a raise (and hide from pro hockey player's wives.)

I'll boldly go where no man has gone before (cause I am woman 8) :lol: ) and post our bulls with March 17 weights.

And as NR said: " Well fire at will !!! "

http://southshadow.homestead.com/Bulls_For_Sale.html

Great little piece Cory. There is a shortage of true farm writers, and all the publications need to fill the space between the chemical ads and bull sale promos with something to keep us interested. I'm 100% sure with your entertaining and humorous style you can get paid for this if you enjoy doing it.
But what do I know. I'm just a goof that has brought home a few of those fat boys myself. I lost my confidence on bidding at bull sales when I looked around in my bull pen one day and realized that the bulls I liked the best were all purchased over the phone private treaty. There are some good breeders who don't do sales.

Why would a hockey players wife be mad about numerous mating opportunities lol. Your bulls as always look greeat-we just need some Lad 20P on those good black commercial cows. Greybeard you can be my agent because I could sure use the dinero. Thank you for the kind words.

Wish I could argue or discuss.... with you NR, but I can't. Like the hockey analogy. Do a topic now on implants or the use of rubber bands when castrating. A hockey analogy could be used for both to. Especially the rubber bands(thinking of the pro hockey players wives).lol.

I'll boldly go where no man has gone before (cause I am woman ) and post our bulls with March 17 weights.

I clicked on a few and it looks like they are gaining just right. The lowest had a 2.55 pounds per day and the largest had 3.11. I talked with a nutritionist when I first fed bulls and he told me that if you can average 2.75-3.00 pounds per day gain bulls will weigh more in the fall than when you turn them out. 3-3.75 is OK but a waste of feed and in that 4+ range can damage the function of a bull.

Good writing NR,And you say your not getting paid?Ain't right my friend!Can't agree more,was watching a sale on rfd the other day and those were some fed bulls and i mean fed!!!I guess it depends on where there next point of employment is,hopefully not in the sticks on mountainous terrain like much of the country is here.I like a more mid sized looking bull that's fit for work on the first day. :) Athletic if you will.

Northern Rancher said:
Why would a hockey players wife be mad about numerous mating opportunities lol. Your bulls as always look greeat-we just need some Lad 20P on those good black commercial cows. Greybeard you can be my agent because I could sure use the dinero. Thank you for the kind words.

Not so sure my cousin's new bride would agree with your theory and she'd probably drag hubby, Stoll and Moen along by the ear when she confronts you. 8) :D
. . . . might be better than a hockey game or catching what suit Cherry has on.

You do realize that when you climb the ranks to professional journalism you can wear fancy clothes like that. I can see it now - a plastic glove, straw and AI gun tucked in your pocket. :shock: :D :wink:

A good read but it's not always the feed that ruins a good bull. Some cattle just naturally put on more natural muscle and others put on gobs fat with whatever they have eaten.

Grain feeds are not all the same either. The high fiber/lower carbohydrate diets seem to do much better at developing bulls than the high corn content ones.

When it comes down to crunch time and he goes in with cows, the one with the most fat will lose the weight faster than the one that is packed with muscle.

Just shy away from the ones with an 1" of backfat even though they do look like winners in the ring.

Latest posts