• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Another old city kid trying to get to some peace

Help Support Ranchers.net:

JasonR

Reaction score
Good day, Long story .....less long. We live in Dickinson Texas. I am a high school biology teacher and my dear wife is a registrar for a health care system. We were born and raised in cities (big small and in between) We met in high school but had a little (30 year) break and have been reunited for about 5 years now.

We have always both been driven to go to the country and wanted to start a farm but after years of people in our lives not being interested we gave up. Well fast forward to about 2 years ago. We have had enough of the rat race and shared our desire with each other. Low and behold we feel the same.

So now we are (almost) 50 and want to start a farm. We will need financing. I am learning about that but any advice is appreciated. We rent a place to live right now. No yard :eek::cry:

We want to raise pigs, poultry and maybe cattle later, we think, and we want to grow microgreens of course for us and to sell. We have reached out to A&M extension and are waiting back on them. From what I have been reading we need to find others to help so we can get experience. I am available weekends and on any school breaks and Tracey is available on weekends. We don't need much just a couple of good mentors.

TL;DR? Old people want to start a farm with little experience. please help :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TL;DR? Old people want to start a farm with little experience. please help :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The owners of this forum also have another forum that would be exactly what you are looking for. This is more of a cattle and sheep rancher forum.

The owners of this forum also have another forum that would be exactly what you are looking for. This is more of a cattle and sheep rancher forum.

I didn't know about that forum. We all might need to check it out the way things are going.

Thx MC I was thinkin of Mother Earth anews but couldn't find their page:)

I didn't know about that forum. We all might need to check it out the way things are going.
It is a fairly good site but does have a lot of talkers and dreamers. Lots of talk about magic gadgets that you can make for a few dollars and power your entire house and shop. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Lots of prepping talk which I ignore as I have always been a prepper just like any rancher that survives. I always had enough hay. grain, and cake for my livestock, and also firewood and food for myself to last 6 months.

I don't post there much since it is more of a fad thing these days than a way of living. There are a few members there that are long-time country folk and offer great advice and share stories of what they have done instead of what they dream they will do.

Latest posts