• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Another solar pump question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

DejaVu

Reaction score
It's really difficult to get someone to work on a well/windmill right now. I waited over a year and finally got the well pulled. It was 8 joints of 18 foot pipe deep. Put a new cylinder down the hole, new couplers on the well pipe and pump rods. All the pipe looked good. Checked the oil in the gearbox. Everything worked perfectly. Water started filling the tanks. Three days later, straight line winds over 80mph laid the whole thing down. The tower anchors & the cement they were set in were pulled out of the ground. About the only thing to do now is go solar. There's no electricity for miles.
Here's the question:
There's Grundfos, SunPumps, Robison to name a few. I'd sure appreciate any comments on what's good and not so good before I go shopping. What is working for you. What hasn't worked.

The well has 6" casing. It's 87 feet to water. 75' of water in the hole. 144' to the cylinder. 320 acres of grass. There are 27 pairs in this pasture. Don't need battery back-up. No cattle winter in this pasture.

I use Grundfos pumps in mine, they have worked very well for me. Your situation is ideal for solar, I'm watering up to 150 pairs off of one well.

we use a Robinson pump that we bought out in Canton Oklahoma. We water 20 pairs with it on a year round basis with no trouble at all. We only have 1 solar panel on it and it pumps enough water that they have never ran out.. Our well has about a 75 foot pull on it..I priced several and this was the most economical of them all ..Overall we have been nothing but pleased and would highly recommend one to others.. and by the way you can add another panel and double the capacity but i don`t think you will need it

I got a quote from this place:
http://www.solarpowerandpump.com/
They're a little more expensive but the pump is stainless steel with ss impellers. Their pump can be re-built at the well site if ever necessary. So they say.
Haven't made any decisions other than it'll take a torch and skid loader to clean up the downed tower. And there's too much risk of starting a fire right now. The head looks okay. The whole thing fell over two 10' metal water tanks and didn't ruin them. I felt pretty lucky for that.

Latest posts