• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Another topic on Cattle Today about "Black Hides Pay Mo

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BRG

Reaction score
Over on www.cattletoday.com their is a subject and discussion about the "Black Hides Pay More" So I thought I would say what I am seeing in our area.

Historically this has been correct, but I am slowly seeing this change. In our area , I am not seeing a hide color outsell the rest on the feeder steers like we used to see. What you are seeing is reputation cattle and cattle that has had everything done right to them outselling the others. Reputation will always sell the cattle here. Lots of guys selling have the same buyer year after year and they will pay extra for them if they have worked for the feeder, and the word gets out that they work.

When I say cattle that has had everything done right to them, I mean vaccination and a certification from the vet saying they are vaccinated, calves that are source and age verrified, cattle that are natural and a signed affidavid saying they are, cattle that have a history or a story so the buyers know what they are bidding on. Alot of this goes back to trust, and if the buyer gets burned, they won't be back next year. Most of the repuation cattle have all of the above done to them and they are getting paid for it. (At least in our area and on the video sales)

Now, when it comes to replacement heifers, color does make a huge difference. Instead of color it is actually breed. The straight bred Red Angus heifers are topping every sale in the area. I have more orders than I have heifers for on the replacement heifers. These girls are currently selling for $900 to $985 head and they have all been wighing around that 650 lbs mark. Reputation plays a huge role in this area of calves as well. Today we have a customer who is selling a load of heifers (75 head weighing about 700 lbs) These girls I think are going to outsell the rest we have seen this year. They are good, but they have a great reputation as well.

What are you seeing in your area?

We don't see many sets of straight Red Angus calves in this area but when they do come through they sell very well. Probably no better than blacks but no less either.

I d say we are similar at are barn. A person who does the right procedures to there cattle are getting paid for it vaccintion verification feeding them right problem with over feeding here.On feedercattle black and red cattle we don't even sort now unless buyer request it. still a spread on straight hereford and choclate calves here.

as far as cows and hfrs black angus hereford ,simangusor redangus top the market as long as they are a good cows

fat cattle don't matter color as long as calf is finished and built right they sale great

when i sold my calves a month ago the "buyer" sorted off the reds in the ring and they brought 10 cents less,all treated the same,they were just as good as the blacks :(

BRG said:
Over on www.cattletoday.com their is a subject and discussion about the "Black Hides Pay More" So I thought I would say what I am seeing in our area.

Historically this has been correct, but I am slowly seeing this change. In our area , I am not seeing a hide color outsell the rest on the feeder steers like we used to see. What you are seeing is reputation cattle and cattle that has had everything done right to them outselling the others. Reputation will always sell the cattle here. Lots of guys selling have the same buyer year after year and they will pay extra for them if they have worked for the feeder, and the word gets out that they work.

When I say cattle that has had everything done right to them, I mean vaccination and a certification from the vet saying they are vaccinated, calves that are source and age verrified, cattle that are natural and a signed affidavid saying they are, cattle that have a history or a story so the buyers know what they are bidding on. Alot of this goes back to trust, and if the buyer gets burned, they won't be back next year. Most of the repuation cattle have all of the above done to them and they are getting paid for it. (At least in our area and on the video sales)

Now, when it comes to replacement heifers, color does make a huge difference. Instead of color it is actually breed. The straight bred Red Angus heifers are topping every sale in the area. I have more orders than I have heifers for on the replacement heifers. These girls are currently selling for $900 to $985 head and they have all been wighing around that 650 lbs mark. Reputation plays a huge role in this area of calves as well. Today we have a customer who is selling a load of heifers (75 head weighing about 700 lbs) These girls I think are going to outsell the rest we have seen this year. They are good, but they have a great reputation as well.

Are the black heifers in your area as good as the red angus heifers? And where are most of the heifers going too?

This black red and white arguement has happened to many times on this site but I gotta give my two cents. The angus association has done the best job at marketing their product. Just think about it. What breed name do you always hear? Angus. Mcdonalds safeway. Any where that's the name you hear? At least all I have ever seen. I got nothing against any other breeds though my calves are black. City people don't know breeds. But the breed they hear and know..is.angus. . And the angus association pushed quality and that's what people.think.when.they hear angus. Im sure I just opened.a.huge can of worms by saying this but likei said just my two cents. Sorry for my typing my fingers are too fat for this dumb smart phone.

Andy said:
BRG said:

Are the black heifers in your area as good as the red angus heifers? And where are most of the heifers going too?

Ya their are some very good black heifers that sell here. The problem is, you can be dang picky when buying black replacement heifers, as they are all over the place, but when it comes to the Red ones, they are tough to find.

I am not sure if you are talking about where do the black ones go or the red ones, so I will try to answer both. On the red side, they go all over the country. We have orders for heifers from KS, NE, IA, OK, SD, and ND. I am not sure where all the order buyers have orders from. Their was even several loads that went into Mexico this past fall.

The black heifers, lots and lots of them sell at feeder heifer price, so I am assuming they go into feedlots. The ones that go as replacements I assume go locally, but I don't know that for sure.

strawking said:
This black red and white arguement has happened to many times on this site but I gotta give my two cents. The angus association has done the best job at marketing their product. Just think about it. What breed name do you always hear? Angus. Mcdonalds safeway. Any where that's the name you hear? At least all I have ever seen. I got nothing against any other breeds though my calves are black. City people don't know breeds. But the breed they hear and know..is.angus. . And the angus association pushed quality and that's what people.think.when.they hear angus. Im sure I just opened.a.huge can of worms by saying this but likei said just my two cents. Sorry for my typing my fingers are too fat for this dumb smart phone.

My intention was not to stir up a color arguement, I am just telling what I see around here, and am wandering what everyone else is seeing in their area.

Someone said that the barn sorted off 10 red steers from the group and they got discounted. I understand that, as I have seen that happen with a group of Red steers and they pulled the red ones off. Some guys want a full load of 1 color.

I think the situation is a bit different north of the border. From what I gather, we've got more exotic type breeding going on, and that changes things. When we personally buy calves, we don't put in an order for any particular colour, because quite frankly, colour doesn't really mean much.

You can have solid black calves that are purebred Angus, Maine Anjou, or Simmental. Reds can be Angus, Limo, Simmental, Saler, Shorthorn, Charolais, or a combination of them all. Red white face can be Hereford or Simmental. You have to go by frame and body type to tell them apart. That doesn't always work either.

What we've found though, and you guys will not like this :wink: is that when we get a group of black calves at a presort, after a couple of months, some will be growing well and looking sharp, and some will just be getting wider and rounder, and looking pretty dumpy. There's some serious inconsistency in them that we do not like at all. They start out looking very similar, but they sure don't end up that way. On the other hand, it's sure nice to have the horns gone.

At the presort sales here, the blacks, whites, and red mixed exotics sell for pretty much the same money. Straight Herefords do not fare so well. Discounts are applied to frame size more than colour.

I have to agree with Kato about the how uneven the black cattle can
grow out. I buy light weight calves and graze/feed to 8 wt. I used to
buy only black cattle (blacks, blk.baldy, blk.motlface with little or no
ear) and would always have several short, round calves.

The last couple of years we have started buying more charlais crosses
(smokes, yellows, whites, but don't really like the "pink nose" calves),
and these calves seem to have more frame and do grow well. Typically
I sell these calves as pot loads with the blacks and others mixed. I don't
see much price resistance to the other cattle so I do think things may
have changed some as far as "black is better" thinking.

All the regular run sale barn cattle in this part of the world are sold as
singles and I do see black cattle started higher. I guess the "black is
better" thinking still applies there.

I also have to agree that the lack of horns on most of the black cattle
makes my job a lot easier.

Lane

the guys here are color blind. one guy I know well, owns a barn in one town and bids strictly black. wont pay up for my Herefords.. I take them 2an hour away, and he sits there and bids them up... I told him that if he wants my commission in his barn, bid on them there....

it boils down to advertising. the Angus guys did it well. however, I find it odd how the Certified Hereford beef is really HEREFORD BEEF, and you never know what you get buying Certified Angus.

Latest posts