• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Another US- Canada Split

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Canadian Professional Rodeo Association decides to go it alone Wed Sep 7, 7:53 PM ET

CALGARY (CP) - The Canadian Professional Rodeo Association has decided to go it alone.

The U.S.-based Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association wants to terminate its partnership with the CPRA at the end of the 2005 season, saying the Canadian association doesn't pay sanctioning fees, doesn't use PRCA sponsors and doesn't require rodeo officials to be trained by PRCA programs.

CPRA president Bob Robinson said Wednesday that no attempts will be made to negotiate with the PRCA and the Canadian organization will now operate independently.

"We're big enough to stand on our own two feet, and that's what we're going to do," Robinson said in a release. "The CPRA is completely self-sustainable. We have a great product and we're ready to showcase it to the world on our own.

"Now we will be able to think about ourselves and not worry about what another association thinks when developing our policies and strategies."

Money won at Canadian rodeos starting in 2006 will not count on the world rodeo standings.

The top 15 competitors in the world standings at the end of the rodeo season qualify for the National Finals Rodeo, which is the richest rodeo in the world with over $4 million US in prize money.

The change could force Canada's top competitors into more rodeos south of the border at the expense of Canadian events, in order to qualify for the NFR in Las Vegas in December.

The PRCA gave the Canadian association notice of termination last month, but the organization had left the door open by saying a revised agreement between the two sides was a possibility.

Under the terms of the current agreement, all CPRA rodeos are co-sanctioned by the PRCA, with money won counting towards both Canadian and world standings.

The issue is money as each PRCA-sanctioned rodeo in the U.S. pays the PRCA five per cent of the event's total prize money and Canadian professional rodeos have never paid a sanctioning fee, according to the PRCA, which is based in Colorado Springs, Colo.

The agreement between the two associations has been in place for over 40 years with no expiration date on it. Either side had to give 30 days notice if it wanted out.

Robinson said the CPRA will consider making the $1-million Cdn Canadian Finals Rodeo open to more non-Canadians in the future. The top 12 in the national standings qualify for the CFR.

Only you could make this a "US - Canada thing" OT. Get a life. Sounds to me like its a "corporation thing".

Silver said:
Only you could make this a "US - Canada thing" OT. Get a life. Sounds to me like its a "corporation thing".

Way too many things today are "corporation things".

Sandhusker said:
Silver said:

Way too many things today are "corporation things".

On this one I will agree with you.

The financially berefit PRCA tried some blackmail and it didn't work-gonna be a sad NFR without our cowboys and bucking horses there. The rank pen won't be very rank at all.

There will definetly be a shortage of talent in the stock AND cowboys. It's too bad.

Silver said:
There will definetly be a shortage of talent in the stock AND cowboys. It's too bad.

So what are you folks saying your canadian rodeo cowboys will quit coming down here to compete and win.Yea right The Canadians will be at the NFR to come win some cash..

The Alberta government is awash in oil revenue-don't underestimate Ralph Klein he might just make Canada the place to rodeo next summer-it's just a sad deal really I'm sure the cowboys had nothing to do with it. All I know is the greatest rodeo going is up here and always will be.

Northern Rancher said:
All I know is the greatest rodeo going is up here and always will be.

I thought Cheyenne was in Wyoming :???: :wink: :lol:

Just for curiousity I looked it up- if the NFR were held today it would mean 6 Canadian cowboys-2 BB, 2SB, 1 SW, 1AA.....Unless they decided to skip most of the Canadian rodeos next year and hit mostly the US ones......

Too bad the PRCA let a fast talking promoter bankrupt them- and in their charge for the big money he promised them they have almost made it impossible to put on an approved small town rodeo anymore......

Touche Murgen-Those six cowboys are near the top of their events if I remember right-it's all about the money if the CPRA can get the prize money the boys will stay up north-with $5.00 buck a gallon gas it won't be any easier to travel. Too bad we missed our chance to see Glen.Roddy, and Dan battle it out for the saddle bronc buckle last year-might of been our last chance.

I'd like to see a US rodeo that pulls in 120, 000 spectators per day. The Stampede could easily up the prize money (double or triple)and there wouldn't be any US "boys" left in the states to compete in the summer rodeos, cept the amateurs, like OT jr.

Hell, we could give them Canuck beef for prizes, and they'd come running, just for the quality.

OT, has your son ever won any money? Is that why you're so against the Canuckle association going their own way?

"Look at me, just like daddy, I'm an ass, and just got bucked off one too!"

Murgen said:
I'd like to see a US rodeo that pulls in 120, 000 spectators per day. The Stampede could easily up the prize money (double or triple)and there wouldn't be any US "boys" left in the states to compete in the summer rodeos, cept the amateurs, like OT jr.

Hell, we could give them Canuck beef for prizes, and they'd come running, just for the quality.

OT, has your son ever won any money? Is that why you're so against the Canuckle association going their own way?

"Look at me, just like daddy, I'm an ass, and just got bucked off one too!"

Murgen- Where did I say I was against the Canadian RCA? Did I say anything bad against the Canadian RCA?

I'm upset at the PRCA for allowing themselves to be sold down the drain- especially the way they have nationally sold out to the corporations, leaving it harder and harder to get local sponsors that don't "interfer" with a National sponsorship--Actually I believe you will see more US rodeos going the way of Canada and telling PRCA to take a hike...

As for the kid he is sitting 14th in the IPRA world standings as of yesterday in saddle bronc- 1st in the southeast division and 8th in the bareback-- since he's cut way back on traveling and is only hitting the local shows...Too busy tacking shoes on horses-and avoiding hurricanes...

Since I answered your question Murgen old boy- you answer me one--How many saddle broncs you been on? How about barebacks- and I'm not talking at the YMCA?

Too bad the PRCA let a fast talking promoter bankrupt them- and in their charge for the big money he promised them they have almost made it impossible to put on an approved small town rodeo anymore......

Oldtimer............who was the "fast talking promoter"??? I have kind of lost touch with the PRCA management over the last few years.

CattleCo said:

Oldtimer............who was the "fast talking promoter"??? I have kind of lost touch with the PRCA management over the last few years.

Cattleco--Steve Hatchell was his name- a professional sports promoter, that apparently had some kind of scandal with college sports before he came to the PRCA...He tried to promote the tour rodeos and put rodeo alongside NASCAR and the other sports- really pushed corporate sponsorships- which was good for the top 20 in each event- Wanted to make it like a major league and minor league-but it left a lot of contestants and a lot of smaller rodeos out in the cold...Caused quite a rift....Thats the reason it is no longer the NFR- now WNFR (Wrangler National Finals Rodeo) :(

Anyway about NFR time last year some of the stock contractors ordered their own audit- found out their wasn't any money left....I know several NFR contestants, contractors and workers did not get paid for some time...

After the shakeup- Hatchell and some board members left- Troy Ellerman an old trick rider who is now an attorney is running it- he was the second in charge, so I don't know what he'll be able to do.......

Yeah Murgen that's crossing a line to dis a man's son-if he's man enough to get on one that's good enough for me. Maybe I should host a ranchers.net rodeo up at my place lol.

Yeah Murgen that's crossing a line to dis a man's son-if he's man enough to get on one that's good enough for me. Maybe I should host a ranchers.net rodeo up at my place lol.

I'll agree, maybe I did cross the line. Sorry OT. and nope, never got on a horse that didn't want me there. but I do get frustrated with OT taking pleasure in anything that affects Canadians.

the cut and pastes that you post OT, always seem to be gloating!

Murgen I will agree with you that the kid has more style than the old man did on barebacks- but I still tell him that if I was 30 years younger I could kick his but in the broncs :wink: :lol:

Kevin-Rodeo.jpg

Kevin at the 2002 IPRA Finals- Oklahoma City

Dick-Rodeo.jpg

Oldman 35+ years ago

Latest posts