• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Any comments on compact pickups?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cal

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with compact pickups? Like 'em? Hate'em? Can you regularly use them on Sandhill trails or rough country. How much weight can they realistically haul? Is the mileage good enough to make them worth having around? Should someone follow you around to pick up parts as they fall off? What's the best one?

They cost more and take a beating and still keep on going is the Toyota I once had. I don't know how much weight as I hauled fencing supplies, generators and etc. Never loaded one down that much, but mine got good mileage and was great for getting in rough country that a bigger pick-up would have a hard time. The only thing is they jump around a bit with less weight on a gravel road with any speed. Mine had around 200,000 miles before things started to fall off.

We use a little diesel pickup here its god for putting salt out and fixing fence. Keep all the fence material in it. It gets about 30 miles to the gallon is diesel just have to watch where you go with it even with 4 wheel drive its not going the places the 3/4 tons go but it does get driven allot more than anything else.
Adios

I've got a Suzuki Samuri that I use for my 4 wheeler. It will go places, that I shouldn't try to go! :wink:

Parts have fallen off, but nuthing important! It just keeps going and going. Just bought another one this spring, that will be my new 4 wheeler when this one goes down for the count. They are a little rougher riding, with the shorter wheelbase. The newer one got 31 mph driving it home from town. I don't think the older one does nearly as good. They are small enough to go about anywhere and you don't tip them over as easily as the 4 wheelers and they cost less than a new one. The new one cost 2000. It's a 1995 with removeable hard tops. I use mine for fencing and spraying and anything else, up to turkey chasing!

Got a neighbor who has just plumb worn out a Nisson pickup and bought another one from my sons as he liked it so well. My son wanted a big pickup that he could pull a trailer with. Kind wishes he had it back now, with the price of fuel! :cry:

I don't know much about the Ford and Chevies. Drove a 1/2 ton Toyota the other night and it sure ran well. Wife had a little Ford that she loved, but my son wrecked it befroe I got to use it in the pasture. Got about 22 mph on the highway.

We have a 1977 Scout and we don't think it can be beat! But the gas mileage probably leaves something to be desired. They are cheap and can go anywhere, and it doesn't matter if the dogs get the seat dirty...which is usually the case.

I do know the Toyota pickups are really great.

I've got a 1984 3/4 ton ford with a 6.9 diesel it get 20 miles to the gallon so it runs cheap enough and is heavy enough all in one.

We have a 1995 ford ranger that our son drives to school. He gets about 20 miles to the gallon. Has a v 6 engine. Is jacked up with wide tires so is rough riding, but has held up well. Talked to a mechanic and he said that they were-are- notoriouse for leaking oil through the valve covers. Always check if you're shopping... Has real nice interior and drives real nice. The wider tires make it handle gravel (IMHO) better. Only thing I can say is that there is not much room. Carter,me,my purse, his bookpack and we are loaded. It has snaps on the box for a cover, which would be really nice to cover up groceries and such from the dust of the road.

I dont like those lil ole butt beaters,Ill stick with my ole one ton dually diesel ,mileage is good enough for me,speaking of mileage I believe canadians can run farm use diesel in their pickup on the road? Here its all dyed red and I hear pretty stiff fine if you are caught using it on the road,even if it is for farm use,hauling feed,seed etc.............................good luck ps got a jeep Rubicon for the hard to get to places :wink:

In Ontario, you can't use farm use diesel in your truck. Neighbours have and the fines are steep, especially for repeat offences. Your log book better be up too date by the minute as well.

Aaron, reminds me of two years back. The ministry dipped about 100 trucks at the Toronto International farm show. The 'boys' were quite mad about it.

Murgen said:
Aaron, reminds me of two years back. The ministry dipped about 100 trucks at the Toronto International farm show. The 'boys' were quite mad about it.

We can run red fuel here until the 5th of Oct. because of the shortage from the Louisiana pipelines being down. Farm trucks and log trucks only on the highway.

couple months ago we bought a 1989 GMC S-15 for our son to drive back n forth to college, it gets 22 mpg. Just brought home a 1985 Toyota 4x4 supposed to get REALLY GOOD mileage, but I haven't had a chance to find out yet. It's for me to drive back n forth from house to cow pasture this winter. They aint neither one of em perdy, but who cares if it gets good mpg.

I've got a Suzuki Samuri that I use for my 4 wheeler. It will go places, that I shouldn't try to go! Wink

Parts have fallen off, but nuthing important! It just keeps going and going.

We have a Samuri for a yard truck, can't beat it to death, ,so we'll wait till it rusts out completly, this thing is about undestructalbe, we drive it across the salt marshes on a regular basis, and even put a marine fuel water seperator on it as it has been under ( salt ) water so much,,,only complaint is the carb is a monster to work on, as for the extra parts, if they fall off and it still goes they must not be important,,,

I have also had several ford rangers for the last ten plus years, I prefer the extended cab, as the worthless seats fold away leaving a good lockable tool box storage...the 4 is weak and not worth buying ,but the V-6 will haul afair bit of junk, most have hit 200,000 miles before being a real maintance pain,,,,Last one I sold was leaking oil from every seal and seemed to be on its last leg, but I still see it around town, so maybe I sold it a few years to soon :lol: :lol:

In my opinion nothing compares to a real fullsize pickup, the Ranger, and Suzuki are just good to use for light duty work, but it is worth it for me to have due to the high abuse they take, and the cheap cost to buy them used....

I just repainted my 1996 S10 4X4 ZR2 - - - I went out and checked it now has 198,876 miles showing - - - My daughter threw a fit :? but it needed paint and so I painted it to match my dump trucks :D it can be seen at www.greensboro-sand-gravel.com I suppose I was in the Marines to long as I started painting my dump trucks red / white and blue in 1971 and have continued it. I bought 4 S10 4X4 blazers, 2 S10 4X4 pickups and 2 chevy mini vans all with 4.3 V6 engines when I was running the cell phone stores and all have given great service :D - - - the 4X4s get in the low 20s :) for milage and the 2X4 vans get just a little better. I have sold the stores :( and only have the two vans , one pickup and one blazer left - - - the blazer is a 2000 and has about 120,000 but the vans were used for installing dish network and one has 360,000 and the other died at 496,000 both still look good from 50 feet but if you get closer you will know why they did not sell with the stores. I still have my first 4X4 (1978) one ton chevy that has pulled a 37' W&W trailer many miles but the last time I pulled the center out of the fly wheel it got parked only 382,000 miles showing but the speedometer did not work for several years - - gas milage was not good but I don't remember what it was for sure :?

I drive the missus' 1981 Toyota nearly every day, not a trailer rig, but will haul 7-800 pounds if need be. 27 to 30 mpg, and alot more of the neighbors wave in the last couple months!!

Latest posts