• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Any dairy farmers? rBST question.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mp.freelance

Reaction score
I'm doing an article on rBST and I'm curious about what any dairy farmers think about it. I realize most people here are probably meat producers, but what's it hurt to ask? All comments are off the record, so feel free to speak your mind.

I thought it was outlawed in the states too. Isn't Monsanto the only ones that make it?

I hate the stuff. Maybe I wasn't a good enough manager to keep up with the needs of the cattle but it make my cows jumpy amound other things.

They got calases(sp?) beside the tail head from the shots, they started kicking when I walked behind them, and my conception rates in 4 yr olds droped drastically. Maybe I wasn't keeping up with them nutritionally...who knows. But the cost of each dose, the increase in the feed bill, and the handling problems were in no way worth the hassle of 20 lbs of milk per cow.

cert said:
I thought it was outlawed in the states too. Isn't Monsanto the only ones that make it?

I hate the stuff. Maybe I wasn't a good enough manager to keep up with the needs of the cattle but it make my cows jumpy amound other things.

They got calases(sp?) beside the tail head from the shots, they started kicking when I walked behind them, and my conception rates in 4 yr olds droped drastically. Maybe I wasn't keeping up with them nutritionally...who knows. But the cost of each dose, the increase in the feed bill, and the handling problems were in no way worth the hassle of 20 lbs of milk per cow.

This is pretty interesting stuff... So you're saying the injections led to the kicking, and the increase in bst protein led to an increase in their appetite?

mp.freelance said:
cert said:

This is pretty interesting stuff... So you're saying the injections led to the kicking, and the increase in bst protein led to an increase in their appetite?

you can't get increased output without increased inputs....

mp.freelance said:

Yep. I don't have the numbers in front of me. And not sure I can find them either it's been almost 10 years. But there was a significant increase in the amount of feed that was put infront of them. They also hated getting the shots as much as I hated giving them.
I also believe that the increace in production which led to more stress was the cause for the decrease in fertility. My average days open increased by almost a month if I remember right. Conception dropped quite a bit too.

Now I'm in trouble right...you are a big wig for Monsanto and I'm bashing your product. :D

quote]

you can't get increased output without increased inputs....[/quote]

I agree with that partially, Denny. Management to increase efficiency can increase outputs.

cert said:
Now I'm in trouble right...you are a big wig for Monsanto and I'm bashing your product. :D

Nope, I'd be driving a much better car if I were a Monsanto big-wig! I just find it interesting that even people on the production side have problems with rBST, since most of the arguments against it come from consumers. I should look more into this in the future.

Latest posts