• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Any house advice?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cal

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone thinks that there are some good manufactured homes out there...and what company makes them? A friend of my dad's has one manufactured by Wisconsin, and says it is very good, but I've actually never seen it. Or what about some of the floor plans and packages that are available from most building supply retailers? Kind of toying with the idea that my wife deserves a new house, if for no other reason than just for putting up with me :twisted: ... Any comments or advice would be really appreciated!

http://www.wisconsinhomesinc.com

Cal

I could be biased since I build houses but I feel a site built house is much better.With a site built home you can monitor the craftmanship and quality of
material,also your floorplan and finish options are limited only by your
imagination and budget.

I have never used one of those whole house packages that menards advertises,the prices seem about right but I would suspect the materials. I have used some framing packages from them and the lumber was decent quality.

A builder friend of mine is moving back to Vermillion, he is an excellent trim
carpenter, I can get you his number if you're interested.I am a framer and can be persuaded to travel :)

to be fair to the manufactuered homes they do make them better than they used to

I, also am in construction. I'm not sure about the loan institutions in your area, but where I'm from, it's really hard to get a loan for a manufactored home.

Cal:

We got our home (a stick built, but built at the "lumber yard" then moved) from Northwest Supply in Lemmon SD. There are lots places that make them. One thing to be aware of is the big, bad Missouri River. I don't which side you're on, but I think west. It is very hard to get a house across the river. We looked at houses in Watertown, Lisbon, ND, and Aberdeen. For us living west of Mobridge, they either would have had to haul the house down to Pierre or up to Garrison, ND to get across a dam.

Both my cousin, and my folks best friends (who are also Soapweeds neighbors) have Timbercreek houses. We looked at those and they are nice, really nice. But getting them to the our area was going to be a challenge. I have heard they build really nice houses in Madison too.

Maybe Lazy Ace will see this and post. He really knows a heck of a lot more about it than I do.

For us getting a carpenter was next to impossible, and we are very happy with our house.

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

Heck ole buddy ole pal, Cal...... Why don't you build me one first. Then I can tell you how I like it....
Dick Clark builds houses out of valentine and then they are moved. Last time I was into town, he had two he was building on his lot... I have a friend who is the architect for houses at ole sheeze... I can't remember...the town.... I want to say Blair, no, around or east of norfork ne. Anyway she designed the house east of valentine on highway 12 that Jay Hollenbeck lives in.... Jay has a beautiful house in the country that he wants to sell.... Needs a little work, but I loved it........

Cal we built in 2000 on site . We used Blue max insulated forms and poured concrete. We had looked at a house that used the Blue Max forms for the basement and when the the people that owned it said their new RTM on top was a little drafty we decided to build ours all Blue Max from the basement to the peak of the 1 1/2 story house. It's solid. No shaking in the wind like our old trailer.
The contractor did all the outside and the drywalling. it was wired and plumbed. Tam took over finishing the flooring trim and hanging the doors. It's quiet and fuel efficent. We like it.

Boy where do we start. Carlson's in Watertown does a pretty good job, Custom touch homes in Madison, or Ward Craft.com looked pretty good to me. We searched the web for floor plans and like TTB said the river is pretty tough to negotiate.

Fort Pierre sometimes has the corp of engineer condemned houses. We looked at some houses that were less than 5 years old but were built in a flood plain and had to be moved. Sometimes you can find a good house that just needs a little work and sometimes you find a trashed out house. It is just an option.

There is a place in Watertown (intercept basement systems)? It is a block system that you just put together for basements or houses. It is plywood out side and inside with 2x6 or 2x8 studs. They come in 4x4 blocks and you just stack them up and screw them together.

What are you going to do for a basement and heating?

If you have any questions just pm me and I'll give you some more specifics. If there was a penny to save in putting up a house I tried to find it. I looked at stick built, steel, log and buy the time we decided I would was one happy individual.

have a cold one

lazy ace

Many thanks for the great advice and suggestions, and glad there are two more "almost new" posters. Don't suppose anyone could be persuaded to post some finished or work in progress pictures?

Going to try to get away tomorrow afternoon and Saturday to look at some of the Wisconsin homes, which are on a lot in Iowa (on the other side of the Missourri :???: ) just for comparison. Just wish the government could have left us an abandoned missile silo or something somewhere near here. :lol:

lazy ace said:
Boy where do we start. Carlson's in Watertown does a pretty good job, Custom touch homes in Madison, or Ward Craft.com looked pretty good to me. We searched the web for floor plans and like TTB said the river is pretty tough to negotiate.

Fort Pierre sometimes has the corp of engineer condemned houses. We looked at some houses that were less than 5 years old but were built in a flood plain and had to be moved. Sometimes you can find a good house that just needs a little work and sometimes you find a trashed out house. It is just an option.

There is a place in Watertown (intercept basement systems)? It is a block system that you just put together for basements or houses. It is plywood out side and inside with 2x6 or 2x8 studs. They come in 4x4 blocks and you just stack them up and screw them together.

What are you going to do for a basement and heating?

If you have any questions just pm me and I'll give you some more specifics. If there was a penny to save in putting up a house I tried to find it. I looked at stick built, steel, log and buy the time we decided I would was one happy individual.

have a cold one

lazy ace
Am wondering what is inside of the block system for insulation, and how do you use it in basements so it's not dirt against wood? Am wide open for suggestions on heating and cooling. Thanks.

katrina said:
Heck ole buddy ole pal, Cal...... Why don't you build me one first. Then I can tell you how I like it....
Dick Clark builds houses out of valentine and then they are moved. Last time I was into town, he had two he was building on his lot... I have a friend who is the architect for houses at ole sheeze... I can't remember...the town.... I want to say Blair, no, around or east of norfork ne. Anyway she designed the house east of valentine on highway 12 that Jay Hollenbeck lives in.... Jay has a beautiful house in the country that he wants to sell.... Needs a little work, but I loved it........
We'll have to compromise maybe, and when we get one completed we'll have to have a rip-snortin' house warming party! Which reminds me, did you have a rip-snortin' house warming party for your house in town yet? It's never too late!!

Our insulated forms are 2 inches of foam on either side of the poured concrete. Your walls by the time they are complete with sideing and drywall are close to 12inches thick. We have changed computers so not sure about house pics I will ask Tam about them.

Cal the intercept system has styrofoam for insulation. I they recomend for basements that they wrap it in plastic to prevent dirt from touching the wood. We looked at them and but went with the styrofoam blocks with cement. I have seen a complete intercept home from basement to the rafters. The people who own it heat the house very little. We sure like our basement too. We built in some clay ground so the cement is a little more stable. When you get to looking around there are alot of wood basements.

The heating or cooling thing, we went with a heat pump (open loop). We run the water that goes through the system (to heat or cool) down the hill and into a tire tank for the cows or horses to drink. Our system is Econair but Hydron is the number one selling heat pump America. They are made in Mitchell. I think it is Hydron.com.

have a cold one.

lazy ace

katrina said:
Here Cal......www.tinyhomes.com
Usssssss Party????? NEVER!!!!!!!!!!
katrina...you are a HOOT!!! Maybe we'll just hook some of them together.

Seriously, looks like we're probably doing stick built...on a waiting list for APRIL!!

Some of you know I have been planning trying to get going on my reno addition for a while now.

I have the old roof shingled and am getting close to pouring foundation for the addition.

I am going geo thermal and in floor heating.

If the farming/ranching stuff would ever stop I could actually build. :wink:

Though I've never had one, I've heard that Cameo are top of the line........the Mercedes of the mobile home industry.

Good luck with what you're looking for. I think it's wonderful that you think your wife deserves a new home.
:D
Wish I could convince Hubby that his wife does, too.........so tired of trying to make this old house liveable for us........ :roll:

Ranchy said:
Though I've never had one, I've heard that Cameo are top of the line........the Mercedes of the mobile home industry.

Good luck with what you're looking for. I think it's wonderful that you think your wife deserves a new home.
:D
Wish I could convince Hubby that his wife does, too.........so tired of trying to make this old house liveable for us........ :roll:

Ranchy, if you like the location of your home, have you looked into adding on and maybe making some updates? Or maybe biulding and renting your old house out? Hope there's a construction project in your future. The house we're in is right by the hiway, and we need to be closer to HQ (strike 1), and it would be a major deal trying to enlarge the bedrooms and kitchen, and a mess of other things we don't like about it. On the upside, being right by the hiway it will rent well, or would be pretty saleable.

Yesterday afternoon we drove over and visted ~SH~ and went into quite a little discussion and looking over his families home. He has put alot of planning into the shelterbelt and layout and construction of their home, besides doing a good bit of the work. The woodwork, interior brickwork, design, view off the back deck, etcetra, is definitely beautiful. We left with some good ideas.

Thanks again to all for the helpful suggestions.

Latest posts