• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Any place left to gather cattle?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Draggin "N"

Reaction score
Is there any place left in the country that a man can take a set of good dogs and go gather cattle, for maybe a month at a time? Work maybe by the head? I am talking about hunting cattle that have been missed by the normal gather, or just could not be penned in the normal gather! I am not asking for spicific places and deals , but just if anyone knows of some possiabilities..? and what time of year is this normally done, in what parts of the country? Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Well we have alot of wild cattle in Arizona but there are a bunch of us that get them contracts so an outsider wouldnt stand a chance . Not only that but someone who doesnt know the country and dont have horses that were raised in this country wouldnt last very long ya know . Not that its anything speacial but its gets warm here and the country is pretty rough , and if you and your string of horses arent used to it its pretty easy for man or beast to get killed ya know . And most of the places here that you would catch cattle there isnt any roads for a long ways and if you have never led a maverick before you might have some trouble , and i know everyon has had their part in wild cows i am sure in one way or another but until you have really seen a wild cow and i am talkin 3 or 4 year old maverick never been gatherd roped or somtimes never seen a man a horseback before then you are in for a new surprise . So i would say maybe california sounds like they need all the help they can get .

AZ....durn it man. Now that you have scared me out of watching John Wayne on the big screen anymore...I think I will sell my tickets to the horse in front of Wal-mart and give my poodles away! Roflmbo..JUST JOKING>>>Pard.
I have been around a few wild cattle before, and I understand what you are talking about. These cur dogs been around a few too, and do a pretty fair job of handleing them. I was not looking to compete with the local hands for their contracts. I have a few weeks at a time that I can go off and work where I want. Just lookin for a few weeks work now and then. Some of those folks with a contract will sub out some of it from time to time when the time is tight and the money is right. I do appreciate the warning bout how dangerous it can be.
I think that the California deal has been covered by that Louie LaMour, Zane GRay fellow you were talkin to on the other thread.
Thanks for your help.

One of these days maybe after the fall works were goin to go clean off a place in south east az and if ya have the time come on out and help if ya want we can pay you a day wage i cant say you will make a **** load of money but it will be good times all you gotta do is bring a saddle and some catch ropes .

There-in lies the problem, azcowpuncher. I have alot of ropes but I don't seem to have any catch ropes! I think they must be miss ropes instead.

Thanks for the offer, AZ. I will keep that in mind. That sounds like what I was talkin about. I do like to gather a few at a time with these dogs. Sometimes you can get into some cattle that will work great if you just let the dogs work them for an hour or two. Some of the wilder cattle do better sometimes workin em with cur dogs, than the more gentle cattle will. I do not know if anyone works curdogs much out your way. The brush and tuff country is where they are the most useful, I think. I sure do not want to cut anyone out. Just lookin for some expense money, and room to work some cur dogs. I don't care if I ever throw a rope, if the dogs work good, and there are hands there to rope, I stay out of the way! I would starve to death doin the roping! But I do love to gather with a good set of curdogs.
I will get back with you in the fall and see what might be goin on out your way then.
Thanks again

Draggin "N" said:
Thanks for the offer, AZ. I will keep that in mind. That sounds like what I was talkin about. I do like to gather a few at a time with these dogs. Sometimes you can get into some cattle that will work great if you just let the dogs work them for an hour or two. Some of the wilder cattle do better sometimes workin em with cur dogs, than the more gentle cattle will. I do not know if anyone works curdogs much out your way. The brush and tuff country is where they are the most useful, I think. I sure do not want to cut anyone out. Just lookin for some expense money, and room to work some cur dogs. I don't care if I ever throw a rope, if the dogs work good, and there are hands there to rope, I stay out of the way! I would starve to death doin the roping! But I do love to gather with a good set of curdogs.
I will get back with you in the fall and see what might be goin on out your way then.
Thanks again[/q Draggin N, What line of curs are ypu runnin? we use some good foundation blackmouths and a couple leapord dogs.We contract with the county sheriff and catch loose cattle. If things get slow, we load up dogs and horses and go sit at the salebarn, almost always get a catchin job that way as some old feedbucket man will come in and say he had one wouldnt come in.

Get ahold of the GANG ranch in BC. Canada . If you want to see what a ranch work looked like in the 1800's. Cows, horses, dogs huge tract of land. Cow camps 5 day ride to ranch HQ, no roads to get to them just cow trails. You ride in April/May, out in OCT supplies dropped off by helicopoters once a month, you have a emergency radio and no radio reception for music. And are paid after round up. Is this what you are looking for. :cboy:

Question, Thanks for that suggestion. That sounds like a place a man could kinda get a feel for what life was like a 100 yrs ago. If I was young and single I might drag up there and see if I could stay a while. I bet that is some pretty country.

TwoRopes....I appreciate your suggestion. We get a few of those 'bucket" cows now and then here too. I am just looking for some place to work my dogs for maybe a week at the time, or two. Depending on how slow my other work is going. (Cleaning up behind fall gathers and the like)
I use mostly dogs that are catahoula, East Texas cur (your blackmouth cur?) and some have as touch of Plott in them .
I know some folks out around Mexia, or Fairfield that catch cattle for the Sheriff's Office....Name of Pickett? Do you know them, by chance?

Yeah question we have a few of them places here in Arizona too , you have to pack all your stuff in horseback cause you cant get a pickup in there .

Yeah i have one holdup dog i use from time to time he is blackmouth cur mcnabb and catahoola he is a good head dog but thats all i use him for is just to hold up if your try to use dogs to drive them out here they will get to were they just run over them dogs and they might stop one or two but the rest in the bunch get away so its easier to get them held up if you can and the wilder ones just catch and tie to a tree .

Draggin-n, Yes our blackmouths are the Big Thicket strain out of east texas, and we breed our own dogs.I dont know the Picketts, but almost every county in Texas has a catchin crew on call, and it pays way better than ranch day wages(once you get your equipment payed for)We cull our dogs to be pretty catchy, as we catch alot of stuff along the road, and have to stop it right now before it gets into traffic.We haul about eight dogs usually, and run four out at a time, so we have fresh dogs in the trailer if we need them.We always have pups and started dogs for sale, if you need something let me know.

Two Ropes.....
I will keep you in mind if I need some more dogs. Those dogs like you use are awful good at their job. (the East Texas curs, I am talkin about)
Some of those I had were too good...they would hold up cattle too much sometimes..but they were the best to dog break a bunch with.and would work till they dropped...Send me an email and tell me what you have for sale, and what you want for them..when you get time..I would like to know. I may be coming down that way before too long.
Thanks

Draggin "N" said:
Two Ropes.....
I will keep you in mind if I need some more dogs. Those dogs like you use are awful good at their job. (the East Texas curs, I am talkin about)
Some of those I had were too good...they would hold up cattle too much sometimes..but they were the best to dog break a bunch with.and would work till they dropped...Send me an email and tell me what you have for sale, and what you want for them..when you get time..I would like to know. I may be coming down that way before too long.
Thanks
I like the real hard dogs that some peaple think work too hard.You just have to put more control on these dogs.I run e-collars on all my dogs, so I can call em off when they bay somethin up real good.

I like to keep one or two dogs that really have lots of stop to them. They are the best thing going to get a wild bunch of cattle to stand up and circle up. The E-collar is good to have on some that really have some bite to them. We catch a few cattle here for the Sheriff's Dept. and that kind of dog is really useful when you have to try to get things done in a hurry.
Two-ropes when you get time let me know what you got for sale, and prices..I may be comming down your way soon..
Thanks again.

TWO ROPES

I run a lot of bmc's down here. I work in Texas during the summers I am interested in your dog line. email me if you have any started dogs or pups old enough to go. lhp8903@yahoo

If any one has some cow dog work (gathering wild cattle,or dog breaking cattle) needed done in NW Texas this summer please email me.

Latest posts