• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Any thought on a John Deere 5100E?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Wyoming Wind

Reaction score
We are looking at renting(and then possibly buying) a JD 5100E with a loader during haying this year for stacking, mowing, or raking. This tractor has 85hp p.t.o., not big enough quite for our baler but it looks to be perfect sized for the other jobs. Curious if any of you have any thoughts on it? Thanks in advance!

I have a 5105m. That's about 3 years old. Super handy little tractor. Don't know what all your other jobs entails but with the super short wheel base it's a little rough for to much field work. Will have plenty of power for no more than it weighs. Mine will dig 4 holes in the ground with power to spare when using the loader. I have it weighted down as much as can plus a three point box weight. It will go a lot of places a bigger tractor won't but I wish I would have went for a 6 thousand series.

I don't know anything about the 5100 but I have a 6430 that I really like and I can swath hay, rake, bale and load it on the hay trailer. It's a little more costly than the 5100 but I sure like it.

If you were cutting with just a mower and raking hay one of those little Ford 8N's are cheap and lots of fun to drive. Back when we were kids a neighbor kid and I each had a little Ford tractor and we used to chase coyotes across the hay fields with them! A lot of fun but not very smart!!

I have a 6415 and it's a good tractor. If I were you I'd get a 6000 series to. I think you would be happier. A lot of times state road departments trade them every year and you can get good deals on them.

Also on my tractor which I assume is the same main parts of a 5100. There isn't near enough radiator for how much power it has. On a super hot day like 100 or better if your working it hard won't keep it cool as I would like.

I had a 5400 that I used for the jobs you described. Nice quick little tractor.
Loaded lots of semi's as I sold a fair bit of hay when I had it. Perfect size for hauling behind a 3/4 ton or 1 ton.
The one I had needed the clutch replaced at around 1200 hrs. My BIL had the same problems. If you get the left hand reverser you get a wet clutch and solve that problem.
Traded mine on a 6400 when I started warping bale silage. Went to 2 tractors instead of three. 5400 seemed too small for silage bales and didn't like the dry clutch problems.

Thanks all...the ranch has a 6200 and 2 6400's already and they are great tractors. In laws own them...we were looking at this smaller model primarily cause its more affordable for us at this point :) Lots to think about and consider!

I have two 5100E tractors about 5 years old and have had AC problems from the get go. The tractors just wont cool the cab below 80 degrees if its 90 outside. I think the design is wrong in the roof. the air can only blow along the coil not through it. I may sell both tractors

I own a 4 month old John Deere 5100E that I bought new. So far, the A/C only works on cool days. Also there is no recirculate switch so the air is always pulled in from outside in extremely dusty conditions so if I run the A/C then I have to change or clean the filters each day. The reverse does not work. Transmission will flash N if I try to put it in Reverse. From the first day that I tried to use the PTO, it doesn't hold pressure so approximately every 60 seconds, the implement will have fallen to the ground and the pump will kick in and the implement will jump up but then fall down again. From the first day, the brakes don't work unless I pump them twice. If I forget to pump up the brakes in the morning and then also during use, I won't have enough pressure to stop the tractor. Recently, I drove into an arroyo when using a rotary cutter because I couldn't see the arroyo until I was right on top of it so I had time only to hit the brakes once and that wasn't enough to stop it. Fortunately I had the hay spear installed on the loader and it caught on the opposite side of the ten foot deep but narrow ditch. I was able to use the loader to push back from the arroyo and was able to extricate myself from the ditch. Remember I don't have reverse. The pneumatic seat doesn't hold air and the switch to add air is difficult to reach so I have to stop work so I can add air. It's been in the shop for a week and they haven't found time to look at it yet. It has 78 hours on it and I just asked the dealer if they want it back. I hate to let them repossess it but the reason I bought a new tractor was because I was tired of working on worn out equipment.

THE 5100e and it's smaller cousins, like the 5085E are not made in America. They are made in India which John Deere denied even yesterday until I told them I already knew. Then they casually remembered that they aren't made in America. There are youtube videos of this factory. They are intentionally deceptive, not just at the dealership but John Deere themselves. I'm a union member and that alone would have caused me to buy something else. The rest of the problems with this tractor are just insult after injury. The dealer said he would be glad to sell the tractor (78 hours on it) on consignment for me. I don't much care for the idea that he makes money selling me this junk and now he figures he makes money helping me get rid of it. All irrelevant right now as the tractor is still in the shop. They don't know what is wrong with it. They might look at it soon but they're busy.
I am in the second week of not being able to feed my dairy because I use big bales even though I own a brand new John Deere.

kidgoatsrus said:
THE 5100e and it's smaller cousins, like the 5085E are not made in America. They are made in India which John Deere denied even yesterday until I told them I already knew. Then they casually remembered that they aren't made in America. There are youtube videos of this factory. They are intentionally deceptive, not just at the dealership but John Deere themselves. I'm a union member and that alone would have caused me to buy something else. The rest of the problems with this tractor are just insult after injury. The dealer said he would be glad to sell the tractor (78 hours on it) on consignment for me. I don't much care for the idea that he makes money selling me this junk and now he figures he makes money helping me get rid of it. All irrelevant right now as the tractor is still in the shop. They don't know what is wrong with it. They might look at it soon but they're busy.
I am in the second week of not being able to feed my dairy because I use big bales even though I own a brand new John Deere.

We have friends in John Deere. I'm going to send your posts to them and see what they have to say. I'm not liking the sounds of your dealer. At the very least and at this time, he could LOAN you a tractor to use. That's the kind of dealers we are used to.

I did pass your posts along and this is what I got back. I hope it helps.

"The recommendation is to contact the Global Contact Center by phone. The number is in every Operator Manual that comes with every machine. That will get the factory and Territory Customer Service Manager involved."

They did ask me where the dealership is that is not stepping up and taking care of you.

I am blessed with having a dealer 10 miles north of me that has 10 locations and a dealer about 10 miles south west of me that has 16 locations - - - they compete very aggressivly and both have top notch service - - - I'm sure they know if they fall down the other will step up to bat and they don't want that!

This is Monday morning and I just called the shop. My tractor is three weeks in the shop now. The fourth of July is coming up so no news on when I'll get it back. Some of the things wrong with it can't be fixed because they are in the wiring harness and that's just the way they are. I've called John Deere and they refer me back to the dealer. The bottom line is I would not have bought this tractor if I knew it was made in India. I would still be upset even if the thing at 70 hours was running perfectly because I wanted to buy an American tractor. However, at 70 hours my tractor has never run right from the first day it was delivered and in the middle of my season, it is in the shop with a long list of problems.

kidgoatsrus said:
This is Monday morning and I just called the shop. My tractor is three weeks in the shop now. The fourth of July is coming up so no news on when I'll get it back. Some of the things wrong with it can't be fixed because they are in the wiring harness and that's just the way they are. I've called John Deere and they refer me back to the dealer. The bottom line is I would not have bought this tractor if I knew it was made in India. I would still be upset even if the thing at 70 hours was running perfectly because I wanted to buy an American tractor. However, at 70 hours my tractor has never run right from the first day it was delivered and in the middle of my season, it is in the shop with a long list of problems.
This is terrible news.
Did you see my post above? The advice came from people in the know.
I would think you should get a replacement or at least a loaner tractor.

Latest posts