• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Anybody built an adjustable alleyway?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cleland

Reaction score
Has anyone built an adjustable working alley? We have our current set up under a lean to on a barn so it would be a major pain to do too much tear out. Im thinking about pulling one side of the current fixed alleyway out and replacing it with an adjustable one. Has anyone one built a fairly simple one before?

Easiest way is to hang one side from an overhead of some sort, a 8x3 frame works well and use 2 arms attached to the side panels, and let the arms latch to the frame and widths that are desired.
Hang the pivot at the narrowest setting and if you get one stuck opening it wider is just undoing the latch.
Don't know if they still exist but the powder river design works well, but it adjusts on both sides.

cleland said:
Has anyone built an adjustable working alley? We have our current set up under a lean to on a barn so it would be a major pain to do too much tear out. Im thinking about pulling one side of the current fixed alleyway out and replacing it with an adjustable one. Has anyone one built a fairly simple one before?
I put up some pictures tomorrow

Our old Powder River was portable It had pipe hoops at back 16ft and front 4ft
While the panels attach with pins and the off side floated from the top with ratchet on the sides.It had a swinging tail gate on the back hoop and the front 4ft swung from the middle hoop and latched to the front one.

Clear as mud :lol: :lol:

I think I can swing the overhead part, just having a hard time figuring out a way to build the adjustments. I can fabricate fairly well, but I'm definitely not sparky!! I have seen a couple that use jacks to adjust and have seen some that use a bar to twist it.

we put up telephone poles put a roof on top have one side solid 2x12 the adjusable side are panels made of 2x12 with angle iron from top to bottom a hole is drilled and a pipe between the 2 angle irons , on the poles there a channel iron with a pipe weled to it which the other pipe goes thru , then holes thru pipes and a pin used to adjust... will take some pictures tomorrow.

sounds perfect! We have about the same set up currently. Wanting to make one side adjustable. Sounds like what Im wanting. Thanks for the help

Here's a picture for you to look at of an alley adjustment. Simple but effective. http://parasalmfginc.com/portable_alley__tub. How ever you suspend the adjustable side make sure you put it on bearings or a good roller of some sort, otherwise you will eventually get it bound up. That alley has an adjustment top and bottom so you can actually slant the adjustable side if you like.

I built one several years ago. Intended it to be portable. Mine is only about 18' long. First I built a frame about 40 inches wide. Made with 2 inch pipe. Used sheet metal, salvage from oil field tanks, for the off side reinforced that with 3/4 sucker rod. two sucker rods across and on top on each side of the uprights set the top of the moveable side between these with pins welded across them to hold up the moveable side. Just used strap irons with holes drilled to adjust. 5/8 bolts in the middle 1/2 on the bottom. Had a gate on the moveable side to get in to preg check. Designed and made my own automatic head catch. Actually I designed it and cut the head gate out,my brother welded it together. Later my brother put wheels under it (the alley or chute) that could be raised and lowered with hydraulics. I don't ranch anymore but the fellows who run cattle here still use it sometime.

Latest posts