• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Anyone else get the ice?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mtn_90

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else got the ice and snow we got...just got power up and running this morning after 3 days....trees and power poles snapped off all over the place from over an 1" of ice cover and 50+ mph winds, and the grove looks pretty sad too.

Livestock were eating snow just to keep quenched as the water don't work without power and (for some stupid reason) we never followed up on that back ordered generator...dumb i know. Tractor gelled as the local fuel shop failed to get #1 in before the weather hit, so fed everything lugging squares through the drifts.

anyhow, hope if others are out there and you aren't as lucky as we are with power back on...when you get this, hope it all works out for you...it's somewhat of a mess around here now.

they say some won't have power for two weeks or better...

mtn_90 said:
Just wondering if anyone else got the ice and snow we got...just got power up and running this morning after 3 days....trees and power poles snapped off all over the place from over an 1" of ice cover and 50+ mph winds, and the grove looks pretty sad too.

Livestock were eating snow just to keep quenched as the water don't work without power and (for some stupid reason) we never followed up on that back ordered generator...dumb i know. Tractor gelled as the local fuel shop failed to get #1 in before the weather hit, so fed everything lugging squares through the drifts.

anyhow, hope if others are out there and you aren't as lucky as we are with power back on...when you get this, hope it all works out for you...it's somewhat of a mess around here now.

they say some won't have power for two weeks or better...

Where was FEMA? :wink: Couldn't they sent up a couple of those New Orleans project residents to feed for you?

Glad it missed us- only got the snow and no wind...Only long term effect now is the icky icy snow packed hiways....Hang in there--it seems no matter how prepared I think I am for winter I never am--I've been wearing ranchers grumpy pants all week......

Glad we didn't get any of that. Has been in the teens at night and maybe 32 during the days. Just a skift of snow. Hope your power comes on and the tractor starts!!

FEMA? where? where? :roll: they wouldn't know what to do here and we'd be stuck pullin em outta the ditch cuz they can't drive in this stuff...lol

don't really need them here, think they'd get in the way...the power companies are out in full force, but they seem to be making good progress and they are working round the clock...i've got power back on and got the tractor started finally....however, they say some people won't have power for 2 weeks or more...when you see the damage around here, you know why.

thanks for the well wishes oldtimer and nicky

Still with out power here, NE SD. I"m close to a sub station so I"m hopen in a couple days we will be back on. Pump and waters will all be froze up but I got a live creek so everything is getten water. Not everyone has that luxury. Neb. and Iowa line crews are up here helpen. Everyone in the whetstone valley are with out power.

We just got power on tonite. We were allmost the same situation as you. We lent out our generator to a guy a couple of years ago and never got it back and didn't even relize until we went to get it out. There are trees down allover around here. And the ground is a giant icerink.

I heard the whetstone valley area was hard hit...finally got a watertown station on today, watertown must be without power too? said they were running the station off a generator? crews are workin non-stop around here, our neighbors to the south (2 miles) are still without power and they don't expect to have them powered for another week or so.

another town around here they figure will be one of the last to get power, they are predicting another week at least. I heard 3 solid miles of power poles snapped up around South Shore -- not a pole standing.

Keep warm everyone -- we're taking a few people in that still don't have power so they can have a hot shower, warm meal, and warm place to sleep...it's miserable to stay in a cold dark house, really gets a person in a rotten mood after a bit.

FH:

Thanks for the offer of money...don't think that will help right now...just need power crews to help get the damage repaired and power to people. The biggest thing is frozen and burst water lines. When power comes on, plumbers will be busy repairing all sorts of burst lines.

Schools and hospitals are opening up for people to shower, eat and sleep in warmth. Kids arent' getting homework cuz they have no lights at night to get it done and no computers to work on for that type of homework.

Just pray that all the power crews stay safe and people out there without power and heat hold their own and make it through okay...

Take care...

And all without FEMA.........

mtn, you folks have been in our prayers,

Generator are sometimes hard to buy, but when you own one, you often wonder how you got along before,

PPRM

Good Point, PPRM. I've been thinking we need to get a generator. Pretty good insurance if you never ever have to use it.

When we thought we would get to go to the NFR, the second fellow we got to take care of things, (the first one got injured on a 4-wheeler) asked where the generator was...

we don't have one big enough to do what he was thinking.

But now I'm thinking we should have one on hand. We have MDU power and they do an awesome job. Some of the smaller electric co-ops have a lot more problems. But you never know...

And yes, we are praying for the safety of you all, mtn_90.

We got power back on last night. What amazed me was when I got every thing thawed I never had any leaks . A small town [Corna] close to us has no power yet, what is tough for them is that they got to have elect to pump their sewer. Now that's the s"""'s.

glad to hear you have power back mickey...our neighbors finally got theirs back last night, just before the sub-zeros hit.

Thanks for the prayers everyone.

I'm looking into a generator, just to at least keep some stuff going when the power does go out.

If the ice doesn't come off those lines and the wind comes up on the next couple days like they are talking, could be the same thing all over again.

Welcome to winter everyone!!!! :wink:

If you get a chance look for used utility service trucks. I was able to get a 5 year old one ton chevy from the phone company with a 10 KW generator and 5 HP air compressor for $5,000.00

When our power goes out I pull the truck out of the garage and run a cord back under the door and plug it in where the welder is normally plugged in ( I made up a special cord with male plugs on both ends)

I have added a cutting torch and welder as well as hand tools and jacks, etc. and can't figure out how I got along with out the truck for so many years.

George,
Can the electricity from your generator run backwards into your electrical line? If it can there is the potential for line workers to get shocked.
I have a separate box on the yard light pole and it has a switch to shut off so my generator can only put electricity into my own lines and not out into the main line. Have a 10kw generator on a little trailer that I park right next to the pole and plug it in. Can run cattle waterers, barn lights, house lights, furnace, etc. Can't shut off the yard light though and it is kind of embarrassing to be the only one in the area with a yard light on!

Hard to beleive but they are saying some might not have power until Christmas. We were fortunate to be 35 miles West of the ice part of the storm as we only got snow. How thankful we are.

Latest posts