• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Anyone else?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
This year seems to be a tough year for working cattle, or maybe I should say moving cattle. Lisa and I spent all day helping a neighbor sort out 180 pair to move to different pastures. The neighbor is 75 years old, and for the last 40 or so years, he has just shoved his cattle into a pasture corner, had 2 people hold them, and he has sorted pairs out. This year with 3 of us hold them, on GOOD horses, we couldn't do it. The cows just would not work that way. Then we tried to get them into the corral. NOT!!!!! After playing out a couple horses, we finally got them in and after a WHOLE day got them sorted.
The cattle we take in here on the river have been the same way. Friday we drove them a mile down the highway. Normally, Lisa and I do it, by ourselves. NOT FRIDAY!!!! With the help of the guys that own the cows, and 1 extra hand, we got them moved. The cows tried rolling over the top of 3 times in a mile. NEVER had that happen before.
So far this year, other then Soapweeds cows, everyone I have helped has had issues working cattle. And no, it isn't just my help that is causing it, because I never got out of the pickup on Saturday, until the calves were sorted off.

Since I started calving on grass this is a non issue now for me. Moving the heavies to pasture, shutting the gate and going home. It used to be an all day job to move and pair up several hundred head, now it's a piece of cake. Just push the "Easy Button." :wink: :lol:

Me and a neighbor were talking about this subject the other day and after an hoour or two of deep conversation (b s ing) we think the weather has something to do with it. The cows are not as content as usual (not a dry place to lay down, poor grass and raining every day). I did move my first calvers off one of the dry farms we have to a new pasture and the was no problem with them but if I were to go down into one of my older cow herds no matter how slow and quite I am they just run to the back of the field and act like they have never seen a horse or man before. I just hope I never get the chance to witness another spring like this one.

It took two days one to catch sort and pair up. 2nd day was 8 hours hauled every animal.I just haul pastures cows calves whatever gets in until i'm full.I would haul all the pairs from one pen to it's pasture before getting into another pen.They worked better than normal but I had help sorting on day one.

We got out last bunch of cows in today, and they worked awesome. We couldn't get trucks into our corrals, so we unloaded in the neighbors drive way, and corralled them in their pens. Other then the first 10 cows tearing out the fence going down the driveway [wasn't much of a fence] and the rest of the 5 truckloads doing through their hole, they worked perfect. They paired up and handled the best out of any cattle this year.
The calves are right at a month old. Don't know if that is what made the difference, or what, but it was fun working cows, again.

Latest posts