• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Anyone ever use a hay rake like this one?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Whitewing

Reaction score
If so, what were your experiences. This is one made in Italy that I've found on the ground in Venezuela:

RASTRILLO2021.jpg

Here's one I've used in the past...a HayBob...it's more expensive, but it's certainly an impressive piece of equipment.

100_1958.jpg

100_1946.jpg

I've got one but I call it a tedder :wink: Tried it once and it's parked in the corner. I'm sure they have their place but here a v-rake is far more efficient and effective.

Dad bought one like the one in the bottom 2 pix probably 25 years ago. It was Hesston branded but the patent rights went back to a Dutch company. It was referred to as a tedder rake. It did a good but not great job of raking sickle mowed prairie hay, but where it really shined, and was developed for, was to rake alfalfa that had been rained on and was already in a windrow. The rake would move the windrow over onto dry ground and the fingers or teeth on the rake would open up the windrow, fluffing it, if you will, to let air get to the hay and decrease drying time so you could bale sooner.

As far as putting 2 windrows together that had been swathed with a 16 foot header, fugeddaboutit.....ain't gonna happen. You'd do better with an old New Holland side delivery rake (a model 56?)

Thanks guys, and I appreciate the recommendations of other equipment I should take a look at before buying.

I'd be using this one to move damp or wet bermuda around before bailing.

The problem in Venezuela is that it's generally an equipment wasteland....hard to find the variety of equipment available in the States for instance.

we have one like it and we use it to ted but use a 3 point mounted v rake with 6 wheels on a side.

On first cutting hay that is very heavy I can pull a couple of pins and leave half of it on a stand and just use half.

I like the 3 point as I can make a hay field look pretty and make it very easy for the baler ( normally me )

great rakes, but high maintenece... be sure who ever runs it, is involved in fixing it! that way they will take care of it. for raking wet windrowed hay, they can not be beat! lower rpm is the key

jigs said:
great rakes, but high maintenece... be sure who ever runs it, is involved in fixing it! that way they will take care of it. for raking wet windrowed hay, they can not be beat! lower rpm is the key

That's exactly what I'll be doing with it, raking wet windrowed bermuda. I've not tried it at lower rpm's, but will, and since I paid for it, I'm gonna be the one using it. :D

GM88 said:
would it not beat all the leaves off your alfalfa? Never seen one like that before.
wetter hay it is fine, but dry hay, everything beats the leaves.

Typically the ones you see around here are Kuhn. I guess Kuhn rakes and disc mowers typically work great and hard for years, and then they break down and need a major overhaul and you wonder if they're worth fixing up but typically they're worth fixing up.

Now the top picture is a side-delivery rake, but the Haybob is a tedder.

There are almost no tedders around here. Does it make sense to windrow hay, unwindrow it and then rewindrow it?

I've used the Haybob on wet windrows before. After the tops dry I run over it and move the material enough to dry off what's underneath. Still ends up in a windrow and I can then bale.

Works for me.

Only thing you see them used for around here is to fluff up windrows that have been rained on. Helps them dry back out faster.

Latest posts