• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Anyone in the field yet?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
I'm just finishing my cup of coffee before I go out and start spring burn off. Dad is going to be seeding some barley after lunch sometime. Anyone else turnin wheels already?

Just started working some on Tuesday to go into swath grazing. We will likely be seeding the first part of June.

A little south of you- but most are done or about done seeding wheat here...Still some seeding barley and grass and/or alfalfa... We've had about two inches of rain in last two weeks- and a lot of the wheat is up 3 inches high and really showing in the rows...

Raining again today.. :D Only about .2 down here at the river place so far- but the radar is showing over a 1/2 inch for the north place... :D Forecast is for upper 70's next week so should really get the grain and native grass jumping..

most the barley is planted here, I have only dragged meadows , getting new shoes on the john deer today then going to plant my barley ground with intermediate wheat grass

jodywy said:
most the barley is planted here, I have only dragged meadows , getting new shoes on the john deer today then going to plant my barley ground with intermediate wheat grass

Why Intermediate Wheat grass?

I have some and it doesn't make very nice hay. Does it work better on wet ground?

jodywy said:
I hate to think what that cost. We bought new cultivator shovels (20' worth) yesterday and I had forgotten they were made of gold.

Faster horses said:
Like BMR we don't care for the intermediate wheat grass, and for the
same reason he stated. We don't think it makes very good hay.

We have our hay barley planted and it's up, but no rain......... :cry:

Why don't you like intermediate wheat grass? We rent a meadow that is high in alkali. It has a thick stand. It can get a little coarse, but the cows love it. We have inter seeded some red clover with it, a few pounds / acre.

Galloway2 said:
Faster horses said:

Why don't you like intermediate wheat grass? We rent a meadow that is high in alkali. It has a thick stand. It can get a little coarse, but the cows love it. We have inter seeded some red clover with it, a few pounds / acre.

You have a purpose with the alkali meadow and the clover would help the protien but my cows don't seem to like the hay much but maybe it is to mature. It is also on high land which was my mistake in the first place. :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
Galloway2 said:
Faster horses said:

You have a purpose with the alkali meadow and the clover would help the protien but my cows don't seem to like the hay much but maybe it is to mature. It is also on high land which was my mistake in the first place. :D

Our cows eat the intermediate too, especially when that's all they have. :p
We try to put it up early, but it's never real fine type hay, more coarse as
you stated. They seem to do okay on it, but other grass hay seems better.
Wish we could grow some orchard grass here. Cows do love that stuff.

My neighbors have a meadow that grows tall wheat and intermediate wheat and it makes good hay for them. I haul all of it in small squares every year. They try to cut it before it gets to mature and stalky. The cows clean it up when fed on snow. Years ago USU put up several hundred tons of it in small squares. Then they covered the stacks and applied anhydrous ammonia. They left it covered for three weeks or so and then we fed it all winter. Those cows would walk away from alfalfa to hit the treated hay! :shock: Anyway, it has worked out here on areas that tend to get spring high water table moisture and then dry out.

Faster horses said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Galloway2 said:

Our cows eat the intermediate too, especially when that's all they have. :p
We try to put it up early, but it's never real fine type hay, more coarse as
you stated. They seem to do okay on it, but other grass hay seems better.
Wish we could grow some orchard grass here. Cows do love that stuff.

Maybe that's why mine ate it so well. It was either they ate that, baled corn stalks, or some cattail hay. :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
jodywy said:

Why Intermediate Wheat grass?

I have some and it doesn't make very nice hay. Does it work better on wet ground?
this north and east slope dry farm the snow driffs hang on late and alfalfa kills out quick, like orchard grass but it gets so rough, brome grows quick but makes for very poor hay. Got some hill dry farm the alfalfa is vey old and the meadow and garrison foxtail has spread with my swather the soil is heavy clay loam and on a wet year I get a good crop of fine early meadow foxtail off hill ground.
a few guys that have planted thier dry farm barly ground to grass seem to like the intermediat wheat grass , just thought I'd try 30 acres

We got 1,800 acres planted then took a break as we were scared!!!!

Now we have gone back and finished the last 500 acres so we are done and making hay.

Crops look good and have a good percentage sold at a reasonable proffit.

Have one hiefer and one old cow who have not calved yet but the others all came between March 26 th and April 6 th - - - only 1 hiefer in the bunch so I will have to do some trading with neighbors to keep a couple back.

Neighbor had a registered Angus set of twins and I have agreed to buy the bull - - - His grandmother has raised 5 sets of twins out of 9 pregnancies - - - his mother is a 4 year old and this is her first set of twins.

We got 100 acres seeded last night, surprising because we didn't get the drill running good until after supper. Only 4900 acres until we're done :roll: :lol:

We've chopped 300 ac, planted 150 ac of corn and are working calves today and tomorrow. Putting the hay mowers into action Monday. About a month ahead of last year.

Seeding is well under way up here now. Had a couple rain delays but they were needed. Some guys are about 1/4 done. We will be going in a couple days, but we don't have much. Should be 1/4 done first day, 1/2 done the second. You get the idea. :wink: :wink:

Latest posts