• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Anyone need grass?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Denny

Reaction score
I've got grass availiable for a 100 pairs maybe a 120 I see it's dry in other areas.Now until November 1st I could winter them also. Interested in a cash rent or a share deal. I don't want to take on any more debt at the present time or I'd buy some fall calvers.

You pay for the trucking and i will have them there tomorrow :D.

After visiting with you on the phone this morning, this looks like a deal that should work well for both of us. Hopefully by this time next week the heifers will be in Minnesota. :)

Denny;
I sure appreciate the manner in which you handled your surplus pasture. In our country we have watched "surplus" hay go south in a fog. That may bite back. No offense meant to southern operators, but cows don't ship quite as expensive as their eats do. I'm sure glad it's raining somewhere.

Haytrucker said:
Denny;
I sure appreciate the manner in which you handled your surplus pasture. In our country we have watched "surplus" hay go south in a fog. That may bite back. No offense meant to southern operators, but cows don't ship quite as expensive as their eats do. I'm sure glad it's raining somewhere.

I have witnessed that "BITE" here just a year after all the surplus hay left our country.

I'm afraid a bunch of us are in a similiar pickle. This country has fed almost all the native hay from the last two crops, mainly due to the fact that we have had some. The irrigated has been priced out of most folks range, and we have very little dryland worth cutting.
In 2003 I was in the hay hauling business, but I wasn't near as busy as the cow haulers. In 2006 I was hauling cows, hay and water for another ranch, and we managed to shuffle everything around. For three years mind you. I hauled a batch of feed, but I probably moved near as many pounds of cows. This year it doesn't look like there will be much hay to haul; and even worse , no place to take any cows to.
The reason I mentioned ten years ago, was because it used to rain back then, sometimes, and back then this country run about forty percent more mother cows. I'd guess most of those have not been replaced, although the last decade has seen at least a ten percent increase in effiency. Interesting times, indeed.

200heifersandbulls800x600.jpg

200 yearling heifers and 7 bulls leaving Cherry County, Nebraska headed for Minnesota. They were loaded last evening so the 600 miles
could be traveled in the cool of the night.

Denny just called that they have arrived. :)

I think that it's so neat that a deal like this can happen over a post in a chat forum. neighbors helping neigbors so what if they're 600 miles apart. thats what they built truck's for :wink:

This has been a good deal. Denny I'm sure you'll provide good grass, water and care but you also need to post some pictures of them once and awhile so we can all see how they're doing. :wink: :D

The holistic guys will tell you there is no such thing as 'wasted' grass. I think though in a lush environment like Denny's and the types of grass he deals with you're doing the right thing to take it off for some cash flow. Probably have better pasture next year too.

With the good weather we have had the last two years I have 2 pastures that have not been touched since 2009 - - - I will be repairing fence and making good use of them this year!

6" of rain in May and so far 0.45" in June!

Pastures came on like gang busters then just died!

Soapweed and Denny, Back in 2002 we were in the worst drought my Grandmother said she ever saw. We saw hay trading for crazy prices, but then there were people selling feed for reasonable prices. There were people treating each other fairly and others out to clean their neighbors pockets out. I was just finished university and one of my best friends ( who I hardly ever talk to, what a shame ) who lived about 750 to 800 miles away offered to pasture half of our herd for us. It took some figuring due to trucking, but we went for it. Best decision of my life. They took great care of them, doctoring and such. They rented us some of their neighbors pasture and took care of that as well. They even ran their bulls with the cows as it was not quite done breeding season yet when we got them down their. This is a guy who I never knew 4 years earlier. I would love to repay the favor some day for him. We paid half what some other people were paying, and our cows were belly deep in grass. We had a hard time getting the just the cows (we sold the calves down there ) back on the liner we sent them down there on.

Alot of neighbors had to sell cows, we never had to sell one, and our pastures were in great shape the next year when it rained from the rest we gave them the year before.

We also found a neighbor grain farmer with a Barley crop not worth harvesting, and he baled it and hauled it to us for a fair price. There were many great stories like ours, but there were also cows that were moved that came home in terrible shape because they only saw stubble fields instead of the grass promised.

I am glad to see things like this can happen with other people as well.

169.jpg

168.jpg

167.jpg

166.jpg

Well they made it. I was a bit nervous if they were wild but these have to be the quietest yearlings I've been around in awhile. They should do fine. Checked them before dark and they were about half grazeing and the other half loungeing around.

Latest posts