• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

April 19, 20, and 21, 2012

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Bullsblunderingthroughthebog800x600.jpg

Bulls blundering through a bog
Pushingthemacouplemiles800x600.jpg

Pushing them a couple miles
Tocorrals800x600.jpg

To corrals
Wheretheycanbefertilitytested800x600.jpg

Where they can be fertility checked on Saturday
SunflowerandImovedthemwithRangers800x600.jpg

Sunflower and I fudged on being true cowpokes, and used our Rangers to move them. :?
Troublesalready800x600.jpg

Troubles already on Friday morning. The leg came right out when the chute was put in the "squeeze" position.
Weran2-year-oldsthrough800x600.jpg

We sorted two-year-old heifers away from their calves, and ran the cows through to give them a pre-breeding vaccination of
Bovi-Shield Gold FP.
Andgavethemapre-breedingvaccination800x600.jpg

This should have been done before breeding them last spring, but we didn't get it done at that time.
SweetPotatoandheryoungun800x600.jpg

Sweet Potato and her young'un
Cametoobserve800x600.jpg

Came to observe
Archimedeswastootiredtoobserve800x600.jpg

Archimedes was too tuckered out to do much observing.
Before800x600.jpg

My mule was used for mobility later in the day to check pastures.
After800x600.jpg

Our arrival back home at dusk
Fertilitycheckingbullstoday800x600.jpg

Fertility checking bulls today (Saturday)
Twoyearoldcaptivatedbythemoment800x600.jpg

A two-year-old feeling captivated by the moment. The day went well, with only three that didn't pass the test.
Thedaywentwell600x800.jpg

A good crew made the job easy.

Maybe it's just the pics, but that sure looks like a long legged mule. What is the horse part, thoroughbred? Somehow those pics just say "fast" to me.

Congrats to Sweet Potato, that baby looks just as clean and healthy as can be. Same to Mrs. Sparky. Every time we see pics of those grandbabies they look so nice, they must be wonderfully cared for.

Love the Photos Soapweed, I look forward to seeing the latest pictures from your neck of the woods ( Sandhills). Whats the cow to bulls ratio you use.

MO_cows said:
Maybe it's just the pics, but that sure looks like a long legged mule. What is the horse part, thoroughbred? Somehow those pics just say "fast" to me.

She is seven years old, and is supposedly out of an own daughter of Colonel Freckles. I am not sure if she is fast, but she is for sure half-fast. :wink: I have been bucked off of horses countless times through the years, but haven't been "shied off" since I was a little kid. This mule, named Delilah darn sure shied me off on this night. I hit the ground on my left leg, and had plenty of sand on my face and hat. The bridle reins were still in my hand, but mules are more powerful than prostrate cowpokes. She got away, and I had a pretty good walk back to the last gate. Delilah didn't want to be caught. Darkness was fast approaching, so I had to climb a hill to get cell phone reception to humbly call home for assistance. Peach and a Polaris rescued me. We caught the mule, and I rode her home.

MO_cows said:
Congrats to Sweet Potato, that baby looks just as clean and healthy as can be. Same to Mrs. Sparky. Every time we see pics of those grandbabies they look so nice, they must be wonderfully cared for.

The grandbabies both have wonderful mothers (and grandmothers), and yes, they are very well cared for. :)

EastWind said:
Love the Photos Soapweed, I look forward to seeing the latest pictures from your neck of the woods ( Sandhills). Whats the cow to bulls ratio you use.

On yearling bulls, we figure one bull to twenty cows. On older bulls, we use one bull for twenty-five cows.

You be careful on those mules, Soap. Our veterinarian in SW Montana
got bucked off one he thought was gentle and it split his pelvis. He
pays for that to this day. I'm glad you had a cell phone to call home.
How far would you have had to walk?????

Faster horses said:
You be careful on those mules, Soap. Our veterinarian in SW Montana
got bucked off one he thought was gentle and it split his pelvis. He
pays for that to this day. I'm glad you had a cell phone to call home.
How far would you have had to walk?????

About two miles. The cell phone did come in handy. :)

Latest posts