• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

April 27 to May 9

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
February C-section is growing.
P4270773.jpg

Like Momma, like daughter.
P4270777.jpg

A comparison.... May 1 2012.
P5010782.jpg

May 2 2011.
P5020456.jpg

Heifers, 2nd calvers and a few mature cows that will go to Morrison Meadow this summer.
P5090783.jpg

P5090784.jpg

Crab leg out of a heifer. I'll let her decide if she wants to live. I did hold her up to the heifer once.
P5090785.jpg

Mature cows for the home range. The 4-wheeler sure has them wound up. :wink:
P5090787.jpg

P5090788.jpg

P5090789.jpg

Newest arrival.
P5090790.jpg

Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts?
P5090791.jpg

Replacement heifers.
P5090792.jpg

P5090794.jpg

What are you up to now?
P5090793.jpg

Bred heifer pen is shrinking. The last load we bought were not exactly the calving dates I agreed upon. There has been some monetary satisfaction but we will be calving these into June.
P5090795.jpg

Things look pretty good up your way Grceek. Those cows look plenty fleshy and that yellow c-section calf is a tank! But you need to buckle down and get those trusses put on a shed this year. They never moved since last year! :lol: :lol: :lol: Glad to see what yer up to. Tell Deb i expect another song before too long! :wink:

Looks like things are popping up your way, Gcreek!

Do you have a saw/band mill for sawing your own lumber? Seems there's no shortage of raw material!

The brown is a bit depressing, for me, in May. Maybe the snow will perk things up.

I see the trusses haven't moved in a year either :D I admire that quality, as it gets that away around here too.

Nice stitchwork.

Thanks,

Bootheel

burnt said:

Do you have a saw/band mill for sawing your own lumber? Seems there's no shortage of raw material!

We do have an old (Noah's Ark vintage!) head rig mill with a 48" blade on it. the motor calved 10 years ago and it hasn't turned a wheel since. Thinking it may make more sense to buy a band-saw than to invest in another engine and have to make it fit. You think it would work to make it PTO driven? 105 HP enough?
Maybe you DOOO need to come for an extended visit! :D

Looks like you have everything well under control, Gcreek. The cattle look happy, quiet, and content. We don't have any snow on the ground here in Nebraska, but there was darn sure frost on the fence posts this morning. Thanks for the pictures.

gcreekrch said:
burnt said:

We do have an old (Noah's Ark vintage!) head rig mill with a 48" blade on it. the motor calved 10 years ago and it hasn't turned a wheel since. Thinking it may make more sense to buy a band-saw than to invest in another engine and have to make it fit. You think it would work to make it PTO driven? 105 HP enough?

Yeah, right.

Couple of weeks ago I took the skin off one side of my finger on a motionless hunk of sheared steel in the shop. Imagine what I could do with a spinning saw blade! :lol: You sure you'd want me around? :lol:

But I always had a hankering to saw a bit of softwood lumber and build stuff homestead style! :)

Not sure what it would take to run a saw, but 105hp should be plenty for softwood logs. What motor is on it and how is the saw hooked to the motor that's on it now?

burnt said:
gcreekrch said:
burnt said:

Yeah, right.

Couple of weeks ago I took the skin off one side of my finger on a motionless hunk of sheared steel in the shop. Imagine what I could do with a spinning saw blade! :lol: You sure you'd want me around? :lol:

But I always had a hankering to saw a bit of softwood lumber and build stuff homestead style! :)

Not sure what it would take to run a saw, but 105hp should be plenty for softwood logs. What motor is on it and how is the saw hooked to the motor that's on it now?

The last motor was off a D7 Cat. It had a pup motor to start and would idle away at 1200 RPM for 8 hours and burn 5 gallons of diesel. Not going to get another that cheap to run. Couple of 4 V-belt sheaves to make saw RPM right and run the sawdust blower. Track will cut lumber up to 22 feet.

When my FIL had it and supplied lumber to this area and sawed ties it was known locally as the Slave Labour Camp.

Bootheel, those trusses were given us and the plan was to build a shop. We couldn't agree on where it was to be put so there they are. We bought a steel truss building this winter that is more the size we needed so the trusses may make a shelter for hay or cattle yet before the sink into the ground. :D

Oh yeah, we have decided where the shop is to be. :lol:

Lots of baby calves, and lots of baby trees, you have it made :D . This forest is starting to sprout sapplings, and it's a nice sight after watching so many trees get nailed by pine beetles.

Your cattle look great, I bet those late heifers really breed back good on green grass.

gcreekrch said:
burnt said:

We used to run a foley-belsaw with a case 55 tractor. Cut out 4 houses and several poll barns with it. The bandsaw would create far less sadwust and give you more lumber per tree. The 48 inch blade we used took about a 5/16 inch cut every pass compared to 1/8 in or less for modern band saws.

Looks like you been busy in that virgin country, always amazes me what a hard headed cancklehead can do :D
good luck

Latest posts