• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

April 28, 2011 Branding again with Plan A method

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Having given a calf cradle a good old college try, we have decided to resume our branding of calves with the Calf Trap Branding Gizmo.
Three of us did 121 calves this day with total branding time of four hours and thirty minutes, or just under 2.25 minutes per calf. The Kosmo
Kid and I each enjoyed roping half the calves, and Peach prefers vaccinating when the calf is on the ground instead of in a calf cradle.

Readyforanotherbranding.jpg

Ready for another branding
Thistimeagainwithourcalftraps.jpg

This time again with our calf traps
Andhorses.jpg

And horses
Thissystemisourpreferredwayofdoingthejob.jpg

This system is our preferred method of doing the job.
Theyareallslickssofar.jpg

They are all slicks so far.
Afteracalf.jpg

After a calf
Onthewaytothecalftrapgizmowheeldeal.jpg

On the way to secure the calf to the calf trap gizmo wheel deal.
Nowitsmyturn.jpg

Now it is my turn.
Jobinprogress.jpg

Job being accomplished
Workinprogress.jpg

Work in progress
Tryingtosuckinwithnosuck-cess.jpg

Trying to suck in with limitied suck-cess. :wink:

stole your idea a few years back and we are still useing it. Works good and I take it to a couple freinds places too. I did confess upto the fact that it wasn't my idea. Made working calves fun, thanks

We have been using the Nordforks a few years. Similar to Soapweeds invention, but maybe simpler. We use several at one time. More people get to rope. No wrestlers needed and easier on calves, IMO. It seems that being restrained by human hands makes them panic more.....but could be wrong. This seems quicker because more people can work at the same time so are held down a shorter time. Steers are created and vaccinations accomplished at same time, than the brand is applied. They are released, and with their mother in minutes.

There is a big crew because half a dozen or so ranches in our area trade work, and a few friends of grandkids, etc. like to get in on the job, too. Branding hardly takes long enough for cooks to get a mostly pre-prepared meal on the table. Haven't noticed how many per hour, but a couple hundred can be done by noon and move to the next bunch after dinner. Some of us brand in a pasture area with panels set up to contain the calves and cows are outside the corral. Calves are roped and dragged out to the Nordforks, then turned loose to mother up soon as they are branded. Guessing it isn't much over an hour from time calves are separated from cows and first ones are worked and turned loose. Probably less.

Usually a couple of us do the cooking. Slowing down in recent years, I usually cook roast a few days ahead, slice, and put in freezer in the broth, to heat on branding day. Salads and desserts are prepared ahead, too.

We are thinking of hiring a cowboy caterer in the near future, but need to figure out how to account for a rain cancellation before a decision is made.

Isn't it great that people can do so many jobs in different ways to fit their particular needs or wishes? We seem to have lost quite a few of the old ways of working cooperatively. Not many 'barn raisings' these days!

Friends from another part of SD said all the trading work ended with the end of threshing when most people bought combines, or hired the neighbor who made the investment instead of the whole neighborhood working together. Maybe independence has it's downside, along with the good.

mrj

It really is one of the last things left that people really neighbor together at-usually the only other times are weddings and funerals-brandings are alot more fun. One spring we even did our yearlings with horses and number branded all the heifers-it went well too.

Latest posts