• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Are dairy cows happy in stalls?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Thanks for the answers, all. (Sorry for the response delay.)

What you're saying sounds good, but how are things done at much larger, more industrialized farms? I read that the majority of large diary farms have the cows basically tied in a stationary position, and they can't walk or lie down.

Is that the norm?

Dario D. said:

What you're saying sounds good, but how are things done at much larger, more industrialized farms? I read that the majority of large diary farms have the cows basically tied in a stationary position, and they can't walk or lie down.

Is that the norm?

NO :!:

Very very uncommon for dairy cattle to be tied other than the milking. To tie them up for long periods of time is completely unrealistic

Dario D. said:

Is that the norm?

Never heard of such BS. Tired stressed dairy cattle don't produce much milk. It's to the dairyman's advantage to make a cow as comfortable as possible, thus the bedding areas, misters spraying cold water on them and fans blowing to evaporate the water.

Dario D. said:

Is that the norm?
The dairy I worked at had over 1000 head. Yes, some were in the maternity ward waiting to calve.
No they were not tied standing.
The problem is PETA will blitz youtube and websites while the caretakers are too busy caring for the animals. Ask yourself why has PETA been listed as a ecoterrorist......

Latest posts