• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Are you a cowboy?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tumbleweed_texn

Reaction score
Last Saturday I flew from Odessa, Tx to Denver and from there on home to Gillette, Wy. Because I've seen the planes coming in before I knew which side of the plane to sit so I could see our place as we made final approach. I talked sweet to the gal at the counter in Denver and she made sure I had the whole row to myself.

I tried to read but I couldnt keep from looking out of the window all the way up the eastern half of Wyoming. Boy is it beautiful. I knew exactly where I was the whole trip just by looking at the landmarks. Not many trees over here to get a person confused or obstruct the view.

We were in the air above the southern end of Campbell county when I started seeing the coalmines. About then I got tapped on the shoulder by the lady behind me who asked if I lived here. She was from California. When I said yes she started asking questions about the mines and then she went on to ranching. As she started asking about ranching we were just starting to fly over our place so I pointed it out.

How many cows do you have?
How many horses do you have?
What do you do with the horses?
Do you have any baby horses.
Do you eat the horses?
What other animals do you raise?
Do you bring all of the animals in at night during the winter?
What do you feed them?
Have you ever been to a rodeo?
Were you in the rodeo?
The questions went on for the next 20 minutes and I did my best to answer each one as truthfully and politely as I possibly could. I figured this was a good chance to be an ambassador for the industry.

As Im standing in the aisle to get my bag to debark she says, "I have one more question if you dont mind please".
Turning to her wearing my sweat stained Stetson, a Carhartt vest with our brand embroidered on the chest and my boots sporting green stuff, I said "Ask away".

"Are you a cowboy"?

I looked her right in the eye, smiled real big and said, "Nope".

This reminded me of late last June. Our family took a trip to Las Vegas and parts of Arizona. We waited in several airports for different flights. I was wearing my normal apparel: hat, boots, Wranglers, belt with large buckle, etc. I was surprised and amazed at how interested people were in the western cowboy.

Numerous times, I was asked if I was a cowboy. Like your story Tumbleweed, I hesitated to say and usually said something like "oh, not really." After answering many of the same questions you were asked, I realized that the western cowboy is a revered figure. They are fascinated with the west, our lifestyle and each of them wished they could participate in it with their families.

It sorta makes ya feel good about our way of life and I too felt like an ambassador for our industry.

tumbleweed_texn said:
"Are you a cowboy"?

Great story!

Just one question: what is the political correct answer to "Do you eat the horses? " ?

Merry Christmas!

Big Muddy rancher said:
caljane said:
tumbleweed_texn said:
"Are you a cowboy"?

Great story!

Just one question: what is the political correct answer to "Do you eat the horses? " ?

Merry Christmas!

Only the little ones. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No ma'am, just use the old ones for wolf bait.

That should either end the questions or lead to a LOT more. :wink:

jodywy said:
I hate getting asked "how many cows do you own"?
usually my reply is "too many to take care of by my self and not enough to pay the bills"

I just say i dont own any,the bank does ,i just take care of them for the bank,lol

I always thought a good comback to How many cows you have is
How much money do you have in the bank ?? :wink:

Latest posts