• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Artifacts or Junk

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
0e660597.jpg

Finishing some plowing today

3695215b.jpg

plowed up this

287d4d8d.jpg

closer look,cannon ball, or junk iron ? this is the second one I have plowed up,I was plowing along Darmstadt creek when I saw this also found a couple more arrow points but they were broken.
I started looking for artifacts when I plow this field,it started a few years back,I noticed when I plowed in that area I was plowing up pieces of burnt and charcoaled wood,it looked like cypress which don't rot very easy and alot of these old homesteads were built outa cypress ,they would cut them along these creek bottoms and the guadalupe river and use mules to haul em to the saw mill.
I figure there was an old homestead where I been plowing ,maybe burnt down years ago.
Maybe this ole cannon ball was something an old homesteader traded for in town and brought it home.Or maybe the army was fighting indians along this old creek bottom.
I have a neighbor that has some archeologists digging along a fence line of mine,I always stop along the road and shoot the breeze with em,ask them what they are finding etc.
I dont reckon this ole stuff is worth much but kinda interesting to find it.....................good luck

I would have it checked out. Once we had someone digging in our sandpit and came up with bones he thought were from a wooly mammoth. Sure enough we found a 10 ft. husk intact.

Soapweed said:
Interesting find, Hay Maker. Looks like whoever made it, got it pretty perfectly round. I don't know what it is, but I'll bet it would hurt if it hit a feller.

Then again, you might not feel a thing . . . :shock:

:hat:

Haymaker, just showed yer picture of yer cannon ball to Mr Lilly, he's a History buff, he said to take it easy on it, some of them were meant to explode and didnt. So don't go takin yer ballpean hammer to it and tryin to tear it up. LOL neat find tho.
I never find anything, and I always look at the ground right in front of my feet, if I dont. I'll trip over somethin n fall, usually my own feet. :lol:

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Haymaker, just showed yer picture of yer cannon ball to Mr Lilly, he's a History buff, he said to take it easy on it, some of them were meant to explode and didnt. So don't go takin yer ballpean hammer to it and tryin to tear it up. LOL neat find tho.
I never find anything, and I always look at the ground right in front of my feet, if I dont. I'll trip over somethin n fall, usually my own feet. :lol:

When we were inTexas in 2003 we went out with the feller who spends the winter there and the summers up here. He like to look for and collect arrowheads. He's found quite a few.
He told me the best way to find them is look just after sunrise and just before sunset and to look towards the sun, as the material that they made the arrowheads out of was shiney and you could spot them shining in the sun better that way. We tried it and found quite a few small flakes that were chipped off when they were making the arrowheads and other tools. They show up amazingly well/

I also was taught to look at ant hills to find beads. Dad had quite a few when he was a kid in the 30's. 'Course there was less grass growin' then too! :x

Accessories for Cannons"

About 90 various sizes and types of original antique cannon balls, bar-shot, mortar shells, and projectiles are available now to fit your cannon!

Occasionally we are able to obtain original cannon balls and projectiles, such as cannon balls of all sizes, bar and chain shot, grape shot, Mortar shells, and other items as listed below. This list changes daily - so please check back often or let us know exactly what you are looking for! If you have any of these original cannon projectiles for sale - please contact us at: [email protected]

Information on projectiles!

http://www.aeragon.com/o/am/index.html

A Great 21 lb. Civil War Cannon Ball

5 inches in diameter and in excellent condition as found.

Sold!

A Great 8 lb. Civil War Cannon Ball

It is 4 inches in diameter and in excellent condition as found.

Sorry - sold out right now!

Only $95 US$ plus $12 shipping in USA.

3 inch cannon balls in excellent condition as found.

Only $65 US$ each - plus $7.75 shipping in USA.

http://bronzecannon.net/balls.htm

Very neat Haymaker. Better save that ball, never know when the damn yankee's might get on the warpath and again, and you might need it. lol :wink: :shock: :D

Mr. Lilly's grandad usta find arrowheads all the time in his garden, after plowin, if it come a good rain, they would be layin right up on top of the ground. He has an uncle that still finds them, big ones, little ones, all shapes and sizes in his sand pit.

We was talkin bout yer cannon ball haymaker, he said, if it has a bump on it, those were the one's that were explosive. guess thats where they plugged the hole after fillin it with whatever they filled it with.

We find quite a few points around here. The Mrs. grew up searching anthills and found a red bead in one of them a couple of years ago. We try to go out a few days after a hard rain each year.

cannon ball, or junk iron

Beyond a doubt, junk.

And i would be happy to take it off your hands as it would look pretty nifty on my kitchen shelf with the rest of my junk.
Junk taken in the wild is always a much better treasure than junk found in a store. :D

Latest posts