• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

As October slides into November, in the year 2012

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
MembersoftheBlackHatSociety800x600.jpg

Members of the Black Hat Society
Corralingheifercalves800x600.jpg

Corralling heifer calves to Bangs vaccinate and truck to their winter home the next day
KosmoKidonboard800x600.jpg

Kosmo Kid on board
Kosmoandkronies800x600.jpg

Kosmo and eekwine kronies
Heifercalvesgatheredandcaptured800x600.jpg

Heifer calves gathered and captured, ready to work the following day
Checkingoutthepony600x800.jpg

Checking out the pony
Allcowboyedupandnotahorseinsight600x800.jpg

LazyWP all cowboyed up and not a horse in sight
Butheisgoodnaturedaboutit800x600.jpg

He is good-natured about the dilema.
Hemustbearealcowboy600x800.jpg

And he must be a real cowboy, because at least he has a beer in his hand. :wink:
Mypoorlittlebuddyisnursingasoretongue600x800.jpg

My poor little buddy is nursing a very sore tongue, not to mention his lower jaw.
Handy-Manjackscanbedownrightdangerous800x600.jpg

Handy-man jacks can be downright dangerous.
Aprettysoretongue800x600.jpg

Not very pretty, but stilll a pretty sore tongue. :?
Cowsstirringupdust800x600.jpg

Cows stirring up dust
Astheycrossaroad800x600.jpg

As they cross a road
Intoanalreadyusedupmeadow800x600.jpg

Into an already used up meadow

Kosmo is lucky his head is still attached to his neck, if a handyman jack took a swing at him! :shock: My mouth and jaw hurt thinking about it. :cry: Glad he will heal up. Ol' LazyWP was supposed to out this a way enjoy some utah poetry with us. Glad to see you are keeping him busy.

It's nice to see a family work together the way you guys do at your ranch.
Sorry to see Kosmo get popped by that jack handle dang I bet that hurt!

The first thing you should do with a "handy"-man jack is to saw a foot off of the handle. The second thing is to decide whether to keep that foot or the rest of it.
That was plenty close enough; I knew a guy who broke his jaws...
They're kinda like a three year old colt, they need a little space.
Heal fast , Kosmo.

A neighbor up north was killed with one a few years back. I am not a fan of Handymans, but they can do lots of things if you watch your head and fingers. Glad he is ok. Has Kosmo got a new pony?

I almost lost a thumb in a handyman jack this summer, I know all about them things. They don't call em widow maker's for nothing.

Had one of them jacks smack me alongside the head back in in my younger days! Cost me 8 stitches and quite the headache! Good to see you got WP to come up and help you!! He really is a pretty good hand! The pony looks alot like one that I seen sell out on a bull sale bout a week back? Great lookin calves,facilities, and help like always at your place. But what is the deal with the bad finger?

kbar2 said:
Had one of them jacks smack me alongside the head back in in my younger days! Cost me 8 stitches and quite the headache! Good to see you got WP to come up and help you!! He really is a pretty good hand! The pony looks alot like one that I seen sell out on a bull sale bout a week back? Great lookin calves,facilities, and help like always at your place. But what is the deal with the bad finger?

Kosmoandkronies800x600.jpg

The day before we worked these heifers was beautifully warm with no wind, so the Kosmo Kid and I decided to ride a couple of recent horse purchases. Kosmo rode the five-year-old and I rode the three-year-old. I got a thirty minute head start with my project, and knowing that the horse would definitely have some buck in him, I followed all my own rules to a T. I led him into the barn, and gave him some grain while saddling him. Then he was gently led out of the barn to prevent a blow-up inside, and led to the round corral. Then still being a pedestrian, I choused him around the corral, and he blew up and bucked hard. He was circled one way and then the other until the buck seemed to be out of his system. Then I mounted the horse and rode in the round corral until fairly satisfied that he would behave.

I "just say no to spurs" when riding a bronc. The last thing I want to do at this point is to unintentionally gouge them with spurs allowing more animosity and ability to surface. :wink:

I got on and off the horse while riding him around, and opened the gate before circling the corral the last couple of times. Here is when I messed up. I should have headed out on a long trot to cover some distance before trying anything too technical. Unfortunately I didn't. :( We had 156 heifer calves out on a meadow about three quarters of a mile away. One nice heifer calf was in the corral by the barn. She had been weaned for a couple months after selling the calf's mother, and I wanted her to join the rest of the herd. This calf had been turned out of the corral before saddling the horse, but she hadn't left. I was on the young horse and had to play ring-around-the-rosie trying to maneuver the heifer calf away from the round corral, which is in the middle of a larger rectangular corral. She was finally persuaded out the gate, and then we had to go through obstacles of various parked vehicles before getting her out on a meadow. Being quite gentle, she was not going fast the wrong way, but kept going the wrong way nevertheless. At one point she got in the house yard through an open gate, and I rode the horse in to play ring-around-the-rosie once again around the house. Fortunately Peach and our little granddaughter noticed my plight and broke up this game.

Back out on the meadow, Kosmo came along on a Polaris Ranger. I beckoned for him to come help, and we got the heifer through a couple gates to join the rest of the calves. At this point, my new sorrel steed had had enough. He blew his cork and came undone. When the dust settled, I was quite proud but surprised to see that I was still on top. Undoubtedly I had grabbed for anything available to hang on, and severely jammed (or possibly broke) the point finger on my right hand. Once again, the fact is emphasized that had I been wearing spurs, I'd have probably bit the dust and ended up on the ground. One more jump would have been the end-gate, as both feet had lost both stirrups. With spurs as an antagonizing agent, this one jump would have occurred, and I may have had more injuries than a swelled up finger.

Anyway, due to a sore finger and Sunflower being gone for a few days, I called on the helpful professional services of a good friend named LazyWP. We had a good crew on hand, which included the Kosmo Kid, Peach, LazyWP, myself, and my sister, besides the veterinarian and his assistant. Our morning job was to re-preg check 107 cows with ultrasound, and bangs vaccinate 157 heifer calves. The day was a success because we found 35 cows that ended up being bred, and we now know that the remaining 72 cows are definitely open. For anyone interested in some nice young cows that we would normally breed to calve next fall, we are taking 14 two-year-olds and 17 three-year-olds to sell at Valentine Livestock this coming Monday morning, November 5th.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. :wink:

Good for you, Soapweed, for staying on the right side of that horse!!
What was your first clue that he was going to buck? :???:

Had a good cowboy tell a little story about getting bucked off one day.
He finished with "first I saw the ground, then I hit it." :D :D :D
Glad that didn't happen to you.

Stay away from those broncs!!! :D

Funny , cause when I first saw that picture I told my wife I had a 4 yr old looked just like him. I could stay on him about 50percent of the time. Trouble is when he would buck he would be lame and I would have to turn him out for a month , and around and around we would go.

Good story Soap. When I started riding my dad informed me I didn't know enough to wear spurs. Later I knew enough I didn't need them. They are kind of like dogs in that way...

Latest posts