• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Assorted Pictures--------------

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mustang

Reaction score
With water as scarce as it is, I figured the Mustangs would probably be close to where they were last week. There is a pond along side of the road just south of Dugway. Good guess on my part.

Peanut acted exceptionally friendly today.

For reasons I don't understand, the desert is covered with sunflowers. It gives the desert a little bit of a "happy face."

I know Soap has a prettier Sunflower,, but this is the best I could do.

Ran on to some Burrowing Owls, the first for me in my lifetime. It was good to see some new residence moving into the neighborhood.

That is just so cool! My favorite bird is the owl. I've got a nice collection of owl stuff as birthday or Christmas gifts.

With eyes like they've got, I've always figured that if an owl looks at you, you really been seen, lol.

They were only about sixty feet off the dirt road. When I shut the truck off, I was happy to see they didn't fly away. I spent about fifteen minutes, putting my best sneak on them. They don't miss much. All but one finally flew off. The one went down the hole, and would occasionally peek over the edge to see what I was doing.

What a beautiful sight! Wonderful pictures, especially the colt between its elders.
I had no idea owls lived in dirt holes. Must take them quite awhile to excavate them.

Thanks for the photo tour. Do those owls seem to be lone residents of the holes? I used to see some sort of small owls, always in Prairie DogTowns, cohabiting with the builders, it appeared. There were also rattle snakes in the 'housing development.

That was near my home long ago when I was about ten years old, if I recall correctly, and we didn't see them often. Only about ten miles from here, but most of us have eliminated many of the prairie dogs, tho there is a small one on this ranch. I haven't looked it over lately.

mrj

They are called Burrowing Owls they live in old badger holes mostly. Catch a lot of mice. They are on the Endangered list in Canada. Migrate from Canada to Mexico.

I wonder if they might be one of the least damaging critters on the 'endangered' list? Seems like others on it, wolves other carnivores, might be selected for the most damage they could inflict upon domestic animal production.

Owls are interesting creatures, and these little guys are cute, to boot. Oh, some of the carnivores are majestic and beautiful in their own way, but can do plenty of damage. The 'endangered' business (and isn't it truly what it is, based on people employed in enforcement, etc. of the programs, not even including animal right groups' fundraising or 'the cause'.

mrj

Latest posts