• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

At Livestock Auctions??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cody-n-Nancy

Reaction score
Wife and I have been to the Centennial Livestock Auction in Ft Collins a number of times. Watching only, not buying or selling. A month ago, we stopped by, but it was during lunch. We went into the office and there were three young people (under 30) sitting at a table. We started talking to them and I noticed the one young girl had her nose pierced with a ring. Wife and I sort of wondered about that.

We went back a couple of weeks ago, when they were selling sheep, and the guy sitting in front of us had a Septum nose ring. Fake or real, don't know, but seeing a Buyer wearing this? Then, I took a good look at the one guy in the Sale Ring and he had both of his ear lobes pierced. Hard to believe and see also.

This is a livestock auction, not some event taking place in the middle of Los Angeles. However, I do know both Loveland and Ft Collins is like this when it comes to this stuff. IOW, extremely famous.

Last edited:
Question would be, would I see this "piercing" stuff at any other livestock auction? I have a website that I can bring up any "live" livestock auction in the U.S., but I don't know if I'd really see anything, like a pierced nose or ear stud.

Young people do what young people do. Not limited to geography.
Yes, I know that, but THANKFULLY not all young people. To us, it's sort of weird that the auction would even hire someone with a nose ring or have a sale ring person wearing ear lobe studs. It just doesn't go along with the livestock industry.............that we've seen anyway.

Yes, I know that, but THANKFULLY not all young people. To us, it's sort of weird that the auction would even hire someone with a nose ring or have a sale ring person wearing ear lobe studs. It just doesn't go along with the livestock industry.............that we've seen anyway.
You need to get out more. Again, judging someone by their piercing instead of their character!!!!! I give up. 🤬

What goes for the livestock industry is work ethic, how much heart and try a person has, ability to adapt, ability to work in pain and in uncomfortable weather, treating livestock firmly and gently, ability to work alone a lot, ability to listen and another 100 things others can add. I know of many great hands who have a tattoo and some have an ear piercing. Thank god most ranchers I know aren't limited by being judge mental and narrow minded and have silly prejudices that would stop them from hiring someone who needs to feed their family.

Cody, I've pitched you all the slack I can as you are an older person and not a rancher. I was always taught to respect my elders. But you are simply dead wrong here. I'm sure nothing I say to you will get through as others have tried on different topics. But you have burned a bridge with me on this one. Stop caring what others dress like or wear as jewelry or draw on their skin! Start seeing people for what's actually important——— CHARACTER!!!

You need to get out more. Again, judging someone by their piercing instead of their character!!!!! I give up. 🤬
Sorry, but that's just us. Then again, the new PRCA Bareback Rookie, Rocker Steiner has been judged quite a bit by fans for wearing a dangling earring from one ear. His dad, Sid Steiner was judged as well by rodeo announcers and some fans.

So, it not just us!

What goes for the livestock industry is work ethic, how much heart and try a person has, ability to adapt, ability to work in pain and in uncomfortable weather, treating livestock firmly and gently, ability to work alone a lot, ability to listen and another 100 things others can add. I know of many great hands who have a tattoo and some have an ear piercing. Thank god most ranchers I know aren't limited by being judge mental and narrow minded and have silly prejudices that would stop them from hiring someone who needs to feed their family.

Cody, I've pitched you all the slack I can as you are an older person and not a rancher. I was always taught to respect my elders. But you are simply dead wrong here. I'm sure nothing I say to you will get through as others have tried on different topics. But you have burned a bridge with me on this one. Stop caring what others dress like or wear as jewelry or draw on their skin! Start seeing people for what's actually important——— CHARACTER!!!
Well, all we can say is we are very thankful that not everyone thinks like you some others do. In fact, there are certain jobs that won't hire a person that has visible tattoos or facial piercings. And, when it comes to winter/snow, many of those that sport all kinds of tattoos don't like it, because they can't show off their art due to how cold it is.

And, I've even met some young people that have told me they regret even getting a tattoo.

Or let's put it this way, in the many equestrian related events, I don't see multiple tattoos, on the neck or where ever or facial piercings. Have never seen a Horse Show Judge with any of it.

And, there are those talk negative about being judgmental, where, in fact, in one way or another even they are judgmental.

How would you feel if you showed up to a rodeo and they said nobody over 50 allowed in? What if they said you couldn't attend the NFR unless you were a cattle rancher? You DONT GET IT!!!! What if your precious Trevor Brazille suddenly started sporting a tattoo or piercing? Wouldn't change one molecule of his talent would it? But I guess you'd look down on him too. Done arguing with ya.

You are correct about me judging you. You've shown me enough to not want to see any more. Adios

[h4][/h4]I like Belle, the best sit-down cafe is now gone. But a couple looking for a town with boots and cowboy boots it easy to see on a Thursday and come fall also Friday as its sale day. truck from 3 states with 5th wheels backed clear up across the RR track waiting their turn to unload. Chilly morning so even saw a few silk rags, not very many ball caps. Truck and trailers at Lutters, cowboy hats pushing shopping carts. Hats at too Talls, the cafe at the truck stop the bar and grill and the fancy sports bar. Runnings there 5-6 truck and trailers in the big parking lot, loading anything from post and wire to metal panels and water tanks. Most everybody inside has a felt cowboy hat on...But it just a small town at the north end of the black hills. Yesterday think they sold 4000-5000 calves today couple thousand cull cows, along with some breed up, didn't stay and see what 41 head of coming 3 bred cows brough.
Do know in warmer weather one will see bit of body art on the back corral crew and the office staff to the cafe.

been at a lot of brandings, Spring turns out cattle drives, fall round up, and the crew there are marines, sailors, army veterans, and most every one of them have tattoos. Also seen PHD, other ranchers with masters and Batchelor degrees along with those that just struggle to make it out of HS.
Oh, had an uncle that had a small farm and also ran a good-sized register Black Angus outfit. Basically, Durning WW2 he had special training on ship. When we have a family reunion and go swimming, he had every arm and leg had tattoos, and he could out rope most anybody on this page.

Haven't been to very many cows sales have you. It is a low paying, one day a week, in less then ideal conditions job. You get to be on your feet with no breaks for long days. Take a close look around and you might find some real seedy characters. There is only a couple of conditions for employment. You show up on time, stay until everything is done, and you have a pulse. One sale here last February they started at noon and sold the last cow at 5:37 AM the next morning. When the last cows sells doesn't mean you are done. Cattle need to be moved to feed pens and there are trucks to load. All the cattle going on to trucks need to be checked and double checked to make sure they are the right ones. When it is finally done you are dog tired and covered with cow manure from head to toe. A large percentage of both the buyer and seller have at one point or another worked that job. Do you really think they give a hoot if you have tattoos or piercings.

Oh, I did forget something, a Group I'm in on Facebook, called Cowboy Living/Lifestyle, which covers both rodeo and ranching, one ranch member put a picture of a bull, with a ring in its nose, and stated, "cattle are the only ones that should have a ring in their nose" and I added "also hogs" (due to rooting). He got a whole lot of "Likes".

Now, remember, this is a ranch person who put the picture of the bull, with a ring in its nose and made the statement about it.

Haven't been to very many cows sales have you. It is a low paying, one day a week, in less then ideal conditions job. You get to be on your feet with no breaks for long days. Take a close look around and you might find some real seedy characters. There is only a couple of conditions for employment. You show up on time, stay until everything is done, and you have a pulse. One sale here last February they started at noon and sold the last cow at 5:37 AM the next morning. When the last cows sells doesn't mean you are done. Cattle need to be moved to feed pens and there are trucks to load. All the cattle going on to trucks need to be checked and double checked to make sure they are the right ones. When it is finally done you are dog tired and covered with cow manure from head to toe. A large percentage of both the buyer and seller have at one point or another worked that job. Do you really think they give a hoot if you have tattoos or piercings.
Actually, back in 1997, I worked, for a short while, at a livestock auction just south of Weatherford, Oklahoma. So, I do know, but it's from back then, not today.

Anyway, all we know is that arms/neck full of tattoos and facial piercings just don't go with those working at a livestock auction, feedlot, stockyards. Just doesn't! You can disagree all you want, but.

Why can't we just keep the West, "western"?? Keep all of the other stuff in the big cities!

Anyway, all we know is that arms/neck full of tattoos and facial piercings just don't go with those working at a livestock auction, feedlot, stockyards. Just doesn't! You can disagree all you want, but.
Well I think everyone on here has disagreed with you. And we all live in the country and work in the livestock industry. You don't work in the livestock industry and are the only one who lives in the city, so...... Do you think your opinion matters to any of us?

Cody, do you have any idea how hard it is to find help these days?
I think it is past time you just zip it.
I don't care what you think and I doubt if I'm alone.
You just keep digging yourself a deeper hole.
Then, my "one and only" question would be...........why am I allowed to stay on this forum??? None of you like my posts/replies anymore, simple demand whomever is in charge of this forum to ban me. Just that simple. LOL

Last edited:
All I can say is, I wish you folks were more understanding. Sort of strange that ranchers on this forum would like the modern day look that's famous for "big city" young folks.

Whether it's in ranching or any other "livestock" related thing, there are many, including ranchers not on this forum (believe it or not) that simply don't like the look. We all know we can't do anything about it, but isn't complaining part of living in America?

Judging people concerning too much drinking, smoking, illegal drugs, how they drive, how they dress and on and on is done by darn near everyone, including those that don't like judging others. Don't ranchers judge those that don't like what goes on on a ranch, as in branding and other ranch duties?

WRCA rodeo, as well as other rodeo associations in America constantly get judged by those that don't like it.

Latest posts