• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

At Livestock Auctions??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

most the rancher groups I am on, on FB are closed groups, lot of the other seem to be mostly want a be. or others with some acreage and are just animal collectors. Daughter left most all the so-called ranch and farm pages on FB just because of the lack of knowledge of the members, that don't want to listen to more common and correct ways of livestock management.
I don't see it that way at all. Then again, when I was doing my weekend rodeos, and had a local nightclub sponsoring me, my "heeler" and I met some guys in the nightclub that were definitely wannabe's. Some told me they were ropers, but had no idea what brand of rope they used or some things I asked them about.

IOW, wife and I absolutely love it when some members of these Groups completely understand and agree with what we say.

All I can say is, I wish you folks were more understanding. Sort of strange that ranchers on this forum would like the modern day look that's famous for "big city" young folks.

Whether it's in ranching or any other "livestock" related thing, there are many, including ranchers not on this forum (believe it or not) that simply don't like the look. We all know we can't do anything about it, but isn't complaining part of living in America?

Judging people concerning too much drinking, smoking, illegal drugs, how they drive, how they dress and on and on is done by darn near everyone, including those that don't like judging others. Don't ranchers judge those that don't like what goes on on a ranch, as in branding and other ranch duties?

WRCA rodeo, as well as other rodeo associations in America constantly get judged by those that don't like it.
We've seen people dressed the part that can't hold up to the work. We've seen people not dressed the part that will flat out take all your money in any timed event. Got over apppearances long ago

This isn't about a timed-event guy, well, maybe in one sense of the word, it could be.

Our farrier in SW Mt was a young guy (Jason) that we thought a lot of. He had learned from the best (the best being Gene Ovnicek, "Hope for Soundness" founder.) Jason was a nice-looking young man, who loved to knit and create things. We have things he made for us out of metal that we have kept and treasured for years.

To make a long story short, Jason came to shoe. He brought his father-in-law with him. The father-in-law was a Willie Nelson type: long hair, braids, a few tattoos, but really in shape. We had never met him and when it was lunch time, Jason and Cliff, the father-in-law, came in for lunch. He was such a great guy, so interested in what we were doing, commented on how much he liked the corrals Mr. FH had built by hand; loved his lunch, just a real engaging fellow. We were glad to have the opportunity to meet him.

He and Jason went on to win, more years than one, the horseshoeing contests at the fair in Missoula. You know what they shod? Work horses. Yes! Work horses. They are tough to do, tough to get under. They won every category...both form and function. Theirs was a work of art. They had a lot of pride in their work, they loved working with the horses and it showed.

Long braids and all, you can't judge a book by its cover. We are certainly glad we didn't. We would have missed out on knowing a quality individual and having him for a friend.

Well, one thing for darn sure, this isn't necessarily the friendly/understanding type forum I thought it would be. But, there are other forums that are the same way. To me, farmers don't seem to be as "rough and tough" as ranchers are. And, I knew plenty of northeastern Indiana farmers in high school 4-H and FFA.
Bottom Line is: We are both, in many way, but not all ways, very "Old Fashion". We both care very much about how a person looks as well as their experience/work habits. We just THANK GOD that not every young person, no matter where they live, has this look and/or don't want that look.

leaving Runnings Saturday with some mineral, there, was a young man long greasy hair down to his shoulders, a straw cowboy had, faded jeans belt buckle, and worn share toe cowboy boots... with yes $#I* on them. My thought here a kid that probably a good hand...... not dressed up like some Drug Store Cowboy that had PRCA rodeo horses. Now know a land woman from oil and gas, she grew up in Wyoming, now lives in Texas, she hauled a bull dogging horse to a few big PRCA rodeos for a few years, Her horse was even the PRCA horse of the year one year.

Last edited:

Latest posts