• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

ATV question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

wdcook

Reaction score
What do you have and what would you recommend?

Have looked at an Arctic Cat 550 and a Honda Rancher and could use some wise advice.

i have a 2011 Polaris 500. i really like it, but i've been told though that there are tougher ATVs out there which could be true. i don't abuse it so if it last half as long as my last Polaris did, i'll be happy :)

Get the Arctic Cat 8) we have 2 and they have taken a ton of abuse, and never stop going, we have a 500 and a 600 and the 600 seems about perceft sized for farm work, uncle has polaris and its alright, but I prefer the Cat.

My vote is for a Polaris Ranger 800 HD (Heavy Duty). They are good outfits, smooth riding, and they can haul 1000 pounds of cargo besides the people up front. Save the money it would take to buy a cab. Just dress warm and wear goggles for winter driving, and in the summer it's cooler riding with the breeze blowing in your face. :wink: They kind of make ranching fun. :)

theres a reason Honda sell's more ATV's than all the others combined :!:

that being said, It's always nice to buy North American even if they are built with foreign components

never go wrong buying a Honda, new ones look like they got more electronic functions on them, which can cause some problems down the road. Had a 2000 honda 450 ES with about 13000 miles on it, awesome bike. Own a 2005 Polaris 500 with about 5000 miles on it and definitely have more problems with it. We purchased an Arctic CAt Prowler 1000 this summer and it is awesome to use for hauling pails of grain or bull customers around the yard.

I would have to say Arctic CAT would be my preference if available.I run them hard,fast &under heavy load &high KMs/year kms is distance for you americans.I have 2 Arctic cat 400's 2007 models one is low mleage(my DADS) one is mine high mileage mine has needed wear& tear parts but it has 15000 kms .dads has yet to replace the brake pads although that will be soon i have seen other arctic cats that have stood up under similar useage (abuse?),Right G CREEk?,JIllaroo?

I'd say anything but a Polaris, I think our 1st was a 08 800 we had all kinds of electrical problems after many trips back to the dealer for warranty Dad came home with a new one 09. Its now parked in the quonset out of commision starter this time, its on its 3rd wiring harness and a rebuilt motor. Its a nice machine when it runs if you use it when its cold the wiring is way to light and it just breaks. Really like our yamaha the only time they go back to the dealer is with about 10000 km to be traded off don't think we've ever had warranty done on a yamaha. Had one that liked to burn some oil.

My vote would be for Yamaha, but you cant go too far wrong with Honda.

We run honda machines, rancher and a Forman. Can't beat either one but the rancher is a ruff riding sucker. Had some problems with the electric shifter on the rancher.

I would go with soapweed on his machine. I like the fact that you can haul stuff in the box. But if you load in the back of a pickup than they won't work.

I've always been a Polaris guy but I bought a new 2012 Honda Rancher 4x4. I got the basic model with foot shifter which have a reputation for being bulletproof.

The Honda does ride rough and I miss the belt drive of the Polaris. Honda does offer a Rancher with automatic tranny, can't remember how much extra that option was.

The Honda has EFI and I'm very disappointed with the cold starting. Maybe I'm not doing something right. My old Polaris pretty much starts the same no matter how cold it gets. The Honda also has an irritating habit of not being able to shift out of 1st gear until the tranny/engine warms up a bit. Overall I consider it a very good machine though, just some things about it I'm not used to.

My old Polaris still runs but needs some work. I have the parts it needs, just need to get some ambition and tear things down to work on it.

arctic cats are good had 2 ,400 automatics oil cooled . good clearance , no shifting . 2 torn boots , 1 blown brake line , & 1 ujoint in 15k & 2 sets of brake pads .
had a 350 yamaha had 25 k on it when I traded it . its still running

tenbach79 said:
We run honda machines, rancher and a Forman. Can't beat either one but the rancher is a ruff riding sucker. Had some problems with the electric shifter on the rancher.

I would go with soapweed on his machine. I like the fact that you can haul stuff in the box. But if you load in the back of a pickup than they won't work.

We have a bumper pull 16' stock trailer that is 6' 8" wide. The Polaris Ranger fits easily into this. Just drive forward until the front of the Ranger touches the front of the trailer, set the brake, and step out the escape door. Works like a charm. Then when you get where you are going, find a slight dip to park the trailer in, and you don't even need ramps to load or unload. Our forefathers probably think we have life too easy. :wink:

I have a artic cat prowler and I have put that machine in places were it was puckering it has been a great machine but I am thinking of going to a polaris for one the artic cat is to tall and I have let the air out of my tires if I am to haul it in the stock trailer and for another I live next to a polaris dealership if not for those two reasons I would stick with artic cat.

I have a 2000 Honda rancher. It has truley been bullet proof and trouble free. Doesn't ride or steer as good as my son's Kawasaki Prarie, but it's the most dependable machine I've ever owned. I now have a side by side so the Rancher had set in the shop for several months with out being started. When I went to start it the battery was dead, so, I turned on the key pulled out the choke and pulled the starter rope one time and it was purring like new. I was amazed.

My black stallion is a suzuki I think 500. I just baby it around so don't know if it's a good one or not.. I like it... I have hauled 6 sacks of salt/mineral on it..

Whatever you get, two must have options as far as I'm concerned are wet brakes (never adjust, never wear out) and power assist steering, The power steering I wouldn't have thought was a big deal until I got it with my Yamaha Kodiak last fall, and now I wonder how I lived without it. If you've never ridden a bike with it, don't. Unless you plan on buying one with it right away. :D

Latest posts