• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

ATV question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I have a Honda Rancher 350cc motor made in 2001. It has 14012 miles on it and runs like a champ! I have replaced the electric shift buttons only because some idiot hit a gate after dark and slightly tweaked the shift buttons and himself. :shock: But my fingers are fine now. :D As a side note, my Brother in law is an atv mechanic. He loves working on Honda and Yamaha stuff and hates Polaris as they are a pain to work on. Good luck and be safe.

We have an ancient Honda, other than occasional oil changes, the only maintenance done is to replace the starter once. The most useful tool on our place is the Kawasaki Mule. It will go anywhere I'm brave enough to point it, with room for a few chain saws, fence repair tools and materials, a 22 and a 12 ga., and all the hand tools I might need.

I've got a'97 Arctic Cat 454 with over 12000 miles. It's been a good machine still has the original back tires. It has a tow bar on it so I pull it behind when I'm moving machinery, got pretty well broke to lead. I have 2006 Arctic Cat 650 TBX. It's an automatic and has been trouble free until now, need one u-joint replaced. I like it because it has a box on the back. It will fit in the back of a pickup.
DSCN0473.jpg

miocene said:
I would have to say Arctic CAT would be my preference if available.I run them hard,fast &under heavy load &high KMs/year kms is distance for you americans.I have 2 Arctic cat 400's 2007 models one is low mleage(my DADS) one is mine high mileage mine has needed wear& tear parts but it has 15000 kms .dads has yet to replace the brake pads although that will be soon i have seen other arctic cats that have stood up under similar useage (abuse?),Right G CREEk?,JIllaroo?
It just so happens I have a dandy of a story that will fit right into the "abuse" category. We had just moved some pairs earlier in the day and were out on the quads checking to make sure no calves had tried to slip back. Sure enough, one calf was hightailin' it back and my partner in crime bailed off the quad to catch him before he hit max speed. Somehow during the exit, he must have caught the throttle cable and it jammed full on. The quad took off riderless and was gaining speed with every second. All we could do is watch in horror. At one point it looked as though we would get lucky and the quad would run into the fence. But that little slope to the field caused the quad to turn a bit and head downhill...right towards the pivot. By my best estimate, the quad must have been going 100km/h when it struck the pivot tower dead on. :shock:
The ranch had a good hand that liked to fix quads and he had "old red" patched together in no time flat. That was four years ago and it's still running strong. I should add that the quad has recently turned over the odometer. We like to say it's been to California and back, twice. It's a 2007 Arctic Cat 500. To say they are tough quads is a bit of an understatement. I have other stories of "old red's" (mis)adventures, but perhaps that's for another time. :wink:

This happened back in September of 2009. Polaris' can have problems just like any other brand of four-wheelers. Don't try this at home. :wink:

Houstonwehaveaproblem.jpg

Houston, we have a problem. :???: This is a case of a Peach upsetting an apple cart. Fortunately she landed clear and wasn't hurt. We feel very blessed.
SoapweedshavealwayshadaneffectonPea.jpg

Soapweeds have always had an effect on Peach. They seem to be a stumbling block for her, or in this case something to tip over.

Haven't ever owned a Honda. They sound as if the maintenance on them is less than most but look to have less ground clearance than our Arctic Cats. The '07 650 that has been here 3 years this May has had 10,000 miles put on it since we got it. Has had a few issues but considering how it is used and abused breakdowns are expected.

I have no idea how many miles our Ol' Red 400 has. He's been with us since new in 2004 and although somewhat cosmetically challenged is still running like the Energizer Bunny. :lol:

Haven't used other brands enough to comment but would recommend AC to anyone for both ride comfort and reasonable dependability.

It you dont like the way your 4wheeler looks leave it in the bull & horse pasture for 20 minuets

Terrain and dealer avalibility should be your starting criteria, IMO. If the Honda dealer is in a town you only go to once a year, coincidentally that is all the oil filters you will need.
Seriously, I enjoy these discussions, and I will say again ol' Red (early 80'ish 250 fourtrax) is still purring along. That brand is the same as all the neighbors have so I truly don't have alot of comparison. But if they didn't work hard , last awhile, and trade in with a high demand; the favorite brand would be different. In the last year I have been offered what I have in mine, which isn't for sale.

The outfitters up here probably run 90% yamahas and hondas-hondas are a bit crude but never left me walking in the bush. Polaris and Arctic Cats don't seem to stand up to the day after day pounding of hunting season. Winching down miles of muskkeg and packing out bear and deer take their toll. My boss didn't like too nice a trail to stands or people would sneak in and use them-my furthest one to go to was 25 miles one way. I'd definately get power steering if it's available saves on on banged up wrists when you catch a stump and handle bars kick back. A side to side is probably more practical and much safer-I wish the boxes on them were a bit longer. The real workhorse bikes are Kubota diesels but they are a bit spendy and slower but lots of power-dragging a moose on dry ground has torn the guts out of more than one bike. I can't ride any more but not sure I can bring myself to buy a bike if I do it will be a Yamaha Rhino side by side. We have four big ATV dealerships in our town and they sell hundreds of ATV's each year-were kind of last trading center before the north so you can try alot of kinds out before buying. They are all getting too big and too fast in my opinion.

My vote is for the honda. I have a 92 model and I beat the he!! out of it and it just keeps on going.

Ended up getting an Arctic Cat 550 w/ power steering. It was a few hundred $ cheaper than the Yamaha 550 and I didn't see much difference. Arctic Cat has better racks, a receiver hitch and a park brake over the yamaha, IMHO.

This is my first automatic although I have driven a Polaris several times. I had considered Honda's Rancher 420 automatic which can also be shifted manually. The Honda automatic has only been out a couple of years and I was concerned about its reliability long term. Having put 7 miles on the Arctic Cat this am, I almost regret not getting the Honda for the simple reason that I kept wanting to shift up to lower the rpm's.

Latest posts