• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

ATV'S

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
hehe my lil toyota will go just almost anywhere an atv will go.....and the heater in it works REAL good.
We do have a couple 4 wheelers, but they are mostly just used for runnin down to the shop, or kids usin em to run to granny's.
We went out once to check cows on the 4wheeler......mr lilly drivin, I was passengering......thought I's gonna hafta start whoopin on him. he was lolly gaggin around lookin and one ole cow took a notion that she didnt like the 4 wheeler....she was comin up on me fast....blowin and goin on.....I kept tellin him, GO!! GO!! GO!! Hot cow breath on yer backside is not a good thang.

Hot Damn that's funny Lilly,I can just see that ole girl chasing yall on that 4 wheeler,and you bring up a good point about small trucks that are 4x4 I bet for a lil more money I could have bought me a ford ranger stripped down and been hi way legal to boot ?............good luck

The Ford 8N used to be the atv/saddlehorse here. I've had a Polaris since '93 or so. I'm not a cowboy, so I never have had a reason to have a real horse! :D

IMO, you don't need the biggest atv. 500cc class is plenty big for most folks. 4x4 would be nice, especially if you have to fight a lot of snow or mud. A 2wd atv can go most anywhere a 4x4 can on dry ground. Both atvs I have owned are only 2wd and get me where I want to go. Only had to get pulled out a couple times and a 4x4 might have been buried too.

As far as brands it's like debating Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. Buy from a good local dealer who will give good service after the sale.

I would PM Cal, He's the man that knows ATVs. We have a JD gator. Top speed 14 miles an hour. You can haul 900pd of stuff in the back. Wonderful for tagging calves. Did have a hereford want to ride in the spare seat with Carter. Doesn't tip over and (trust me) it don't float..

I agree with Jersy Lilly - - - I use my dirt bike for checking cows , a horse for close work and my 1996 S10 extended cab ZR2 with 199,364 miles for my ATV

My daughter had a fit this summer when I needed a new bed and took the opertunity to paint the cab pearl white- - - frame, nerf bars, etc bright red - - - and the bed royal blue.

I bought the S10 in 1999 for about $9,000 with about 65,000 miles - - - I feel for my uses this was much better than a 4X4 ATV

Mine are both 2 wheel drive they manuver better and if I get them stuck I can just lift them up and set them on solid ground and give the throttle some gas they shoot ahead 20 ft. walk up and get back on.
My brother has a yamaha 650? grizzley said you could not get it stuck well I went for a ride had to walk home and get the tractor.There's a reason those big 4x4 quads have a winch mounted on them..

katrina said:
Sorry cowsense, I havn't lived that one down yet....Sooooooooo it'll have to wait or lots of brewskies for that tale to be told..........

Just have a few virtual reality internet brewskies and then you can tell your story. We're all just one big happy cyber-family, and your secret will be safe with us. :wink:

I hafta laugh at the horse folks around here that justify not using a ATV because of wrecks....Like there's never any Horse Wrecks??????

Anyways, I have used an ATV. Cattle need to get used to ATVs just like Dogs or even horses if they haven't been arouind them. There's a lot to be said for giving a cow a chance to figure out what you want. A set of cows used to being trailed will actually figure out the lead rider concept and handle pretty good, but I'd bet the majority of people never use this.

One thing about ATV's, you travel faster and get into trouble faster, be alert. Also, realize when to get off. It doesn't have your mobility, so when near a gate and the cows are turning and debateing, get off, you can change directions faster.

I still like the horse the best, rather spend the fuel bill goin to my nieghbors hay than the middle east, LOL,

PPRM

katrina said:
Say Soapweed, are you shopping on Ebay???

For what? Ebay is kinda like gambling over the internet, but when you get done you have lost real money. :wink: :) Besides, Ranchers.Net takes up all my spare time (and then some), but at least it doesn't cost anything.

I'll take you onsome of our trails with a 2 wheel drive quad lol-well I'll take you the first 100 yards-methinks theres some people here have never seen muskkeg lol.

I have a racing quad it is good for running coyotes down and just checking cattle at the far pastures, but I would trade it for a good 400cc or so Honda or Yamaha with racks and reverse any day. I have had others and know people that have had other makes but by far Honda and Yamaha are the best (do not know anything about the JD ones thou). We all so have a JD gator and it works great but it takes to long time to go to the pastures miles away.

I hate to tell everybody this and you may want to shoot me but quad is better that a horse :shock: - you only feed it when you want to ride it :nod: , it will only buck you off if you tell it to :nod: , and it only does what you tell it to :nod: .

:stop: NOW DON'T HATE ME

Here's another ATV tale..... When my oldest son was old enough to start taking along on the big rides, we had some neighbors who were really getting into ATV's. I assumed they were discussed on the school playground.

Son #1 and I were looking for a bull that had eluded the gather earlier that fall and after alot of country was covered and still no bull we were about to give it up for another day as we were already late getting in.

As we were topping a hill and headed home we heard a bull bellering behind us aways back. We turned our horses around and soon had him found after he gave himself away.

#1 son said," You know, if we'd been on four-wheelers,we'd never heard him and we wouldn't have found him."

I bet that was brought up on the playground next day.

The best quote I heard about quads was a tired moose hunter had just used his bike to get a big bull out of a muskkeg-"I ain't gay but I could kiss the guy invented four wheelers ."

We have run Hondas and they have been pretty reliable. We have a Foreman S right now, 2001 model with 8500 mi. The engine is bulletproof but the brakes and wheel bearings arent. THose are the only problems we've really had. As far as durability, we have a lot of rocks (more rocks than grass sometimes) and the bottom of that thing is all bashed up, but no problems. Best advice I have is make sure you can switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive - makes turning a lot easier in 2wd. It also helps to have one you can lift up out of a snowbank - those big 800cc machines require another vehicle to pull out of the snowbank. I can just lift ours out of the rut and carry on my way. A windshield is a good investment as well.

I have a 2000 honda Rancher 4x4 presently but I have always owned Hondas and around here they are the most popular. I also believe them to be the best brand. Something I will never do without as long as I own a ranch is a 4 wheeler. They are great for rounding up cattle,especially the ones that sometimes don't want to get in the corrall. People around here use them and horses at the same time to get up their cattle for working,sorting, etc.

We use one for salting (mineraling sounds funny :p ), fencing etc. But as the Real Jake commented about some of my pictures...4 wheelers won't take over :D
trail.jpg

There are lots of area we can't even use it to salt with. But they are handy. We have a Bombardier, made in Canada. It's our second one, has a dump box, 4 wheel drive. Had a Polaris, didn't hold up. Guy we lease some rangeground from bought a Kubota with a cab and bench seat - it's spendy, noisy, and gutless.

This is another hazard of 4 wheelers - you get kinda dirty when it's muddy :p
muddymike.jpg

Latest posts