• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Auctioneering

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
I spent the majority of day at the Valentine Livestock barn. They were hosting the Greater Midwest Livestock Auctioneer Contest, or some such thing. They had 31 contestants, and sold right at 4100 head of cattle. I think Big Swede sold some, as well as a number of other quality consignors. It was quite the deal, and I was quite impressed with the auctioneers.
You Canooks ought to be proud of your young man. Can't come up with his name, but he was runner up. (I thought he shoulda won). Ended up with 2 Nebraskans and a Saskatchewan feller.

I was there too. We did not stay for the finals, as there were other activities in town we wanted to see. I thought the contest was very interesting and we enjoyed it very much. All of the contestants were excellent auctioneers. Each sold 6 drafts of cattle; two of weigh-up cows and four of feeder cattle. When each was finished with his six drafts, he stepped away and another took the mic.

I think Greg Arndt and crew at Valentine Livestock deserve tremendous credit for hosting this event. They did a fantastic job of keeping two classes of cattle coming for each contestant, without delay. I don't see how they could have done a better job for the consigners, buyers or contestants.

From Weyburn, Saskatchewan, it was Brennin Jack who broke finals. Three other Nebraskans were in the final ten: Don Helberg, Kevin Schow and Douglas Day. Does anyone know who won?

JF Ranch said:
I was there too. We did not stay for the finals, as there were other activities in town we wanted to see. I thought the contest was very interesting and we enjoyed it very much. All of the contestants were excellent auctioneers. Each sold 6 drafts of cattle; two of weigh-up cows and four of feeder cattle. When each was finished with his six drafts, he stepped away and another took the mic.

I think Greg Arndt and crew at Valentine Livestock deserve tremendous credit for hosting this event. They did a fantastic job of keeping two classes of cattle coming for each contestant, without delay. I don't see how they could have done a better job for the consigners, buyers or contestants.

From Weyburn, Saskatchewan, it was Brennin Jack who broke finals. Three other Nebraskans were in the final ten: Don Helberg, Kevin Schow and Douglas Day. Does anyone know who won?

Don Helberg won, Brennin Jack second, and Don Day was third. I knew if someone posted their names I could put them in order. I guess what I found interesting, was the two gentlemen from Nebraska were older, and the young man from Saskatchewan, was pretty much a pup.

Brennin Jack works at one of the places I sell at. I never heard him auctioneer as it is where I usually haul cows and I am always there the day before the sale. He used to be at the yard in Regina but it closed so he came down to Weyburn.

Congratulations to Don Helberg. I was lucky to work with his dad Glen in North Platte in the early to mid 90's. taught me alot of the finer points about the business and no more honest man to be found anywhere.
Often think I should have stayed there in the real estate and auction business than finding myself following the south end of a north bound cow most of the time.. Oh Welll Hell its in my blood.
Congrats again Don

Latest posts