• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

August 22, 2011

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Seagullwithbalesintheback.jpg

Seagull with bales in the back
Cormorants.jpg

Cormorants
Notmuchwindtoday.jpg

Not much wind today
Sunflowersandsoapweedsdecoratingthehills.jpg

Sunflowers and soapweeds decorating the hills
Lookingdownthedraw.jpg

Looking down the draw
Airstreamtravelclubstoppedforroadconstruction.jpg

Airstream travel club stopped for road construction. There were seven trailers in the convoy.
Usuallythewaterisbluebutthispondisgreen.jpg

Usually the water is blue but this pond is green.
Forsomereasonitseemedkindofprettyanddecorative.jpg

For some reason it seems kind of pretty and decorative.
Onemoreshot.jpg

One more shot, guess you could say I'm having fungi with the algae. :)
Inthestilloftheevening.jpg

In the still of the evening
Givingmetheeye.jpg

Giving me the eye
Looingacrossthevalley.jpg

Looking across the valley
Adoublewindmill.jpg

A double windmill
Nightbefalling.jpg

Night be falling
Andthedayisdone.jpg

And the day is done.

All very good. The one with the bull is very symbolic for your area of what this country was and still is in spite of some of our so called leaders.

I often get to dig two or three ponds a year around here and I encourage the owners to purchase wind mills at the local Rural King that have a small air compessor to put air in the middle bottom of the pond.

Fish grow great and tha scum and alge just dissapear with out chemicals.

A 16' tall windmill with pump and flexable hose is about $1,000.00 - - - - I get old galvanised pipe and cut it into 3" lengths to thread on the hose to keep it on the bottom of the pond.

I like to have at least 10% of the pond area at least 11' deep so the fish can overwinter and the windmills work year around. Bluegills to stop mosquitoes, Catfish to seal the bottom of the freshly dug pond and Large Mouth Bass the second year to keep everything in balance.

I also place large pieces of concrete side walks where cattle or humans go into the pond to keep the mud at a minimum. Cattle very quickly find where the conctete is and stay on it and don't keep tramping the sides in.

big open country you have and no houses in sight . i can see 9 houses from my sunroom , too many.
How far away does your next door neighbour live.

I can't see any houses from my sunroom but I can see 2 from the front porch but they are about 1/4 to 1/2 mile away and at night or in the winter I can see the town of Greensboro.

I built way off the road so that I would not have people breathing down my neck!

I can handle people in small doses! I hate going to sporting events or conventions because people don't know how to give a person space - - - I feel if I can reach out and touch you you are to close! Just give me 3' and I'm fine but I don't want to rub shoulders with people I don't know!

Now I sound llike the grench and I'm not - - - I'm very friendly and will help most any one any time but I guess I'm like an old bull - - - don't appoach me I will come to you and we can get along - - - I can be coaxed but I hate being prodded.

NUFFIELD said:
big open country you have and no houses in sight . i can see 9 houses from my sunroom , too many.

Standing at our house looking in a full circle, our nearest neighbor to the south is 3 miles, to the southwest our nearest neighbor is 6 miles, to the west 3 miles, northwest 10 miles, north 6 miles, northeast 7 miles, east 6 miles, and to the southeast 5 miles. It is just right for being secluded. :wink:

Soapweed said:
NUFFIELD said:

Standing at our house looking in a full circle, our nearest neighbor to the south is 3 miles, to the southwest our nearest neighbor is 6 miles, to the west 3 miles, northwest 10 miles, north 6 miles, northeast 7 miles, east 6 miles, and to the southeast 5 miles. It is just right for being secluded. :wink:
Thats certainy secluded. Parts of England are like that big farms well spaced and i think its super.
Here planning has allowed lots of housing in rural areas, now they cant widen the roads because houses are built so close. I was hauling grain yesterday on a busy twisty road with a tractor and i would have to almost stop when i met a truck. Give me the wide open spaces any day

Soapweed said:
NUFFIELD said:

Sounds very similar too here. Gcreek would likely feel claustrophobic with so many neighbours close by :shock:

Mile, mile, mile, two miles. For this area that is not bad 20 minutes from a 1 million person city. I doubt anyone here could out remote gcreek.

per said:
Mile, mile, mile, two miles. For this area that is not bad 20 minutes from a 1 million person city. I doubt anyone here could out remote gcreek.

Yes, I do prefer my fellow man when he is scattered some. :wink:

6 miles west, 10 miles south, 70 miles east and 100-120 miles north, that's close enough.

........ and you want me to sell out and move to Alberta! They wouldn't know what to do with me there. :lol:

6 miles west, 10 miles south, 70 miles east and 100-120 miles north, that's close enough.

now thats my kind of place, it's getting way to crowded around here but it's tough to leave an area thats been home to the family for more than a hundred years

gcreekrch said:
per said:

........ and you want me to sell out and move to Alberta! They wouldn't know what to do with me there. :lol:
Why wouldn't you want to live here where the action is? You could never get lost with signs pointing every which way. :wink:
Aug2011759.jpg

You would have a hard time getting me in that place driving a vehicle, let alone farm machinery that is bigger than anything you see here. :lol:

Gcreek, driving bigger equipment in places like that requires a certain methodology to the madness of it - the loader tractor follows the swather so it can help push it through the tighter spots . . . :wink:

Latest posts