• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

? Australian Shepherd problem

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RobertMac said:
Robinae said:
RobertMac, I had two Aussies from a merle to merle breeding. They were the BEST dogs and companions I ever owned. They were willing to work very hard! One just recently passed away and he was 14! I never had any medical issues to speak of out of either one of them.

The blue merle I had received an injury to his leg when he was young and had a limping problem for 2 years. When my vet told me to put this adult dog on the Iam's puppy small chunks, the limping went away within 2 weeks. Something in that food helped the joint. I kept him on it until he died last month.

The main thing to watch for in an Aussie is just as everyone has said, not too much white. A lot of white, does indicate less intelligence (not retardness) and deafness and blindness. But your Aussie doesn't have hardly any white at all, so I wouldn't be worried. Aussies can be the best dogs you will ever own.
Robinae, any idea what is in the Iam's puppy that helped with the limping?
Maybe I could supplement her with it...Gussie is in with our beagle and Assie/Golden retriever cross(this was a great cross...made wonderful pets for several of our friends) with a self feeder.
I take glucosamine/chondrotin every day...greatly helps with my knees and hip joints.

We've got a couple older girls that are kind of getting stiff- and move slower in this cold weather- and my wife has been giving each of them an ibuprofen pill every morning (hidden in a folded over slice of cheese)-- and it appears it really is helping....

If you watch your dog food, and get Senior Dog Food for dogs 7 and over, there should be some ingredients in it to help with joints. Our Senior Dog food has dogs much more mobile than they were plus it contains some 'wellness' ingredients. Some are actually able to jump in the back of pickups, where prior to feeding our dog food, they couldn't. But there is other dog food with ingredients to help with joints, etc.

OT, there is something better for the dogs than Iboprofen. I can't remember the name exactly, darn it. But it was recommended by our vet and is asprin, but coated so it doesn't bother their stomach. It is in the
drug store in the people section. I'll see if I can remember the name...but don't hold your breath. I think it starts with a 'C'... :p

Sample of our:

Dog Bill of Sale and Warrantee*
Show Quality (Yes)(No) … Pet Quality (Yes) (No)… Nonwhite Factored …
Date of Sale … Price … Litter Number … ASCA Registered Number …
Date of Birth (DOB) … ASCA buyers Membership Number…
Sale Dog Information
Sex: Male … Neutered … Female … Spay… Description:
Body Color: Blue Merle … Red Merle … Black … Red …
Trim Color: White … With Copper … Not White Factored
Eyes Color: Left Eye … Right Eye …
Sex Female …
Tail Length Natural Bob… Natural Bob Docked… Docked… Photo…
Hips Checked … Eyes Checked … Miscellaneous Information …

Breeding Information
Sire's Registered Name … ASCA Registration Number …
Description:
Eyes Color: Left Eye … Right Eye … Sex Male …
Hips Checked … Eyes Checked… Miscellaneous Information …

Dam's Registered Name … ASCA Registration Number …
Description:
Eyes Color: Left Eye … Right Eye … Sex Female …
Hips Checked … Eyes Checked… Miscellaneous Information …

We Warrantee said Dog/Puppy to be Free of ALL CONGENTAL DEFECTS of the Hips, Eyes, Show Disqualifying Bite and to possess all teeth natural and normal for it's age and breed.
Should said dog/puppy be found defective in any of the above mentioned area, it will replaced by one of like SEX, Quality and Breed, pending said Animals return to Breeder. It is not our intent to Express or Imply any Warrantee of said Animal, other than replacement by like quality and sex… NO CASH REFUNDS. NO MEDICAL BILLS. ECT…

CONDITIONS:
1# For WARRENTEE to take effect said animal must be Examined by a Qualified Veterinary within five (5) working days of Sale. (Insert your Name) will bare this expense only if said animal is take to: (Insert your Vets Name & Address)

2# Proof of EXAMINE is Forwarded to (Insert your Name) within Thirty (30) days of Sale Date.
3# The Breeding of said animal, PLANNED OR UNPLANED, will indicate "TOTAL" Acceptance of said animal and VOID ALL WARRANTEES expressed or Implied.

Notes:*
A Warrantee can have Limitations
A Guarantee is just that and is Binding

Faster horses said:
If you watch your dog food, and get Senior Dog Food for dogs 7 and over, there should be some ingredients in it to help with joints. Our Senior Dog food has dogs much more mobile than they were plus it contains some 'wellness' ingredients. Some are actually able to jump in the back of pickups, where prior to feeding our dog food, they couldn't. But there is other dog food with ingredients to help with joints, etc.

OT, there is something better for the dogs than Iboprofen. I can't remember the name exactly, darn it. But it was recommended by our vet and is asprin, but coated so it doesn't bother their stomach. It is in the
drug store in the people section. I'll see if I can remember the name...but don't hold your breath. I think it starts with a 'C'... :p

My vet suggests just a coated baby aspirin for elderly dogs with aches and pains of old age. It sure has helped out some of mine and I've had them live to be 15, 17 and even one that was 21!!!

Our old dog takes aleve. Actually he'll take anything in a pancake or a ball of hamburger.

Latest posts