• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

awkward birth

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tlakota

Reaction score
So just came in from checking cows and noticed there was one standing up with the whole calf sticking out except for the back hips. The calf was wiggling around and i dont know what the deal was why she couldnt just push him that little farther. This was not a friendly cow, i snuck up behind her and pulled on one leg and the calf in the ground...hardly a pull at all...once that calf hit the ground she was not a happy momma and i was on my four wheeler and outta there...it just surprised me she would let me pull it while she was standing up like that

That happens fairly often. Most of the time if they're just standing there like that, and not in much distress, the best thing to do is to not disturb them and let nature do its thing.

Sometimes if you are not right there to watch things the ole biddy will drop him on his head. If the necks bends back and the calf lays on it, they will suffocate in a matter of seconds. Sometimes it pays to be lucky.

YUP! I've had to use the calf hook more than once to get the calf the rest of the way out. Stupid cow wanting to see her baby, trying to turn around to see it, flinging it to and fro.... I think they get a little ahead of game and quit too early :?

I had one do that last year.. But she saw us pull in and took off in dead run, smacked the calf against a tree, and than it fell out. Dead...Don't know if it was dead before it hit the tree but it sure was by the time it hit the ground... Ticked me off, I was 200 yards away from her, giving her plenty of space.. Stupid heifer.... Hamburger I should say, she had some screws loose in her head.

Latest posts