• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Baby calf prices

Help Support Ranchers.net:

caljane

Reaction score
not too many baby calves around yet at the sale barn. Last year angus bull calves sold for about 300, angus heifers for 250. We have a twin heifer we would like to get rid off - any suggestions what she might be worth? Neighbors are interested to put her on their family milk cow. North East Wyoming / West South Dakota.
Thanks!

Justin said:
i've heard reports from Belle Fourche and St. Onge that black bull calves are bringing $500+

That's what I heard too, couldn't believe it, though. I feel a bit guilty to ask the neighbor $500 for a bottle calf. Almost not worth to raise them if prices are so high at this time!

Last week new born calves sold for $525- today it was $325....

Much of it has to do with the 60-70 degree weather we have- and few losing calves- along with that many that are now starting to calve having the same feeling I do-- and not wanting the extra work input/time of grafting on a calf- and just culling the cow instead....

Two weeks ago I had to put down a young cow after the vet told me he couldn't do anything for her now I'm feeding a bottle calf.Have you priced milk replacer lately? :shock: I hope these people buying baby calves have nurse cows.

ousoonerfan22 said:
Two weeks ago I had to put down a young cow after the vet told me he couldn't do anything for her now I'm feeding a bottle calf.Have you priced milk replacer lately? :shock: I hope these people buying baby calves have nurse cows.

Here you can buy a black bull calf for $220 to $300 a smaller dairy type cow to raise it plus the one in her belly for $700 some money to be made there if you don't mind chores.

Denny said:
ousoonerfan22 said:

Here you can buy a black bull calf for $220 to $300 a smaller dairy type cow to raise it plus the one in her belly for $700 some money to be made there if you don't mind chores.

The last 3 dairy/nurse cows that have sold in Valentine were between $2400 and 2800. Then you throw a $500 calf in on her. I don't pencil it in this part of the world, but guys are doing it.
I may have to make a trip to see your part of the country, Denny.

Bringing in baby calves---another thing we have eliminated to make life easier---my cows ain't necessarilly immune to other's bugs. And we already got enuf bugs. Mineral program=way less wierd stuff and far more manageable.

caljane said:
not too many baby calves around yet at the sale barn. Last year angus bull calves sold for about 300, angus heifers for 250. We have a twin heifer we would like to get rid off - any suggestions what she might be worth? Neighbors are interested to put her on their family milk cow. North East Wyoming / West South Dakota.
Thanks!
Sometimes around here, especially if it's with an honest neighbor, we will give a bum calf to who needs it and split what the calf brings come weaning time. Just an idea! :D

Wyoming Wind said:
caljane said:
Thanks!
Sometimes around here, especially if it's with an honest neighbor, we will give a bum calf to who needs it and split what the calf brings come weaning time. Just an idea! :D

We do that here, too, Wyoming Wind.

Faster horses said:
Wyoming Wind said:
caljane said:
Thanks!

We do that here, too, Wyoming Wind.

Around here if we have an extra calf and the neighbour has a cow to graft to, we just give the calf to them. It's a "what comes around goes around" policy that has been quite equitable over the years.

Latest posts