• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Back ground lots

Help Support Ranchers.net:

feeder

Reaction score
We got our cattle home this week from a back ground lot in North Central South Dakota. It isn't a big feeder lot. This is (I think) the first time we did this. Our calves were well taken care of. The owner was a very decent person. My hat goes off to all those who do custom back grounding. You could tell our calves were treated as if they belonged to those guys.

feeder said:
We got our cattle home this week from a back ground lot in North Central South Dakota. It isn't a big feeder lot. This is (I think) the first time we did this. Our calves were well taken care of. The owner was a very decent person. My hat goes off to all those who do custom back grounding. You could tell our calves were treated as if they belonged to those guys.

Well good for you feeder,now what,fixin ta get rich are you ?wish you were closer,and your feed lot too.............good luck

Welcome back Haymaker!!! I don't know if getting rich is in the cards but we sure do have fun trying!!!

feeder said:
Welcome back Haymaker!!! I don't know if getting rich is in the cards but we sure do have fun trying!!!

Aint that the truth I have a few IM back grounding,for spring might do alright if canada quits running outa diesel fuel :wink: ...........good luck girl.

I may never get rich by the standards most apply :? - - - - but I feel rich when I work with my livestock and think about the people who never get the satisfaction of saving a small calf, just looking at a good group that you have produced, or just the good tired feeling after a productive day :D :D :D

Feeder- Good thing you have calves bought...These guys looking for grass calves (500-650 weights) are having to pay a fortune...In our area they been selling for up to $850-900...After grazing costs you're going to have to get an awful good price this fall to make them pencil out....

And good replacement heifers are out of sight- buyer told me that a nice bunch of 750 weight black heifers sold for over $1000 a head in SD the other day...

But 1400 lb cull cows were selling for over $800 at the local sale last week :) ...

Oldtimer said:
Feeder- Good thing you have calves bought...These guys looking for grass calves (500-650 weights) are having to pay a fortune...In our area they been selling for up to $850-900...After grazing costs you're going to have to get an awful good price this fall to make them pencil out....

And good replacement heifers are out of sight- buyer told me that a nice bunch of 750 weight black heifers sold for over $1000 a head in SD the other day...

But 1400 lb cull cows were selling for over $800 at the local sale last week :) ...

OT how can feeder calves be worth that much with the border open? According to R-calf I thought the price was going to tumble when that big wall of utm came busting through the border?

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Oldtimer said:

OT how can feeder calves be worth that much with the border open? According to R-calf I thought the price was going to tumble when that big wall of utm came busting through the border?

I don't think its possible to make the grass/yearlings fit into the USDA's Canada cattle restrictions and quarantine guidelines- not in this big open country around here anyway...

OT, I would like to buy some 600 wts. to put back in that lot till April but I can't afford to bid against the grass guys. Manitoba Rancher- I think the guys selling fats (like me) are feeling the down fat market. Took off 8 bucks in two weeks. Also I wonder how many that have Canadian cattle in their lots are experiencing the lower bids that have been around here for Canadian fats. They are running $4 back. I have heard a few reasons but never know if it is the gospel truth.

feeder,

I dont think it is the Canadian cattle crossing the border that is pressing prices on fats down. Fats up here are under pressure as well, I think demand for beef is down a bit and the packers are sure using it to their advantage. Grass calves are a hot item up here with some 4 weight strs topping out at 1.75 a lb. Pretty high for those lil fellas. Im like OT I dont know how these guys can make these prices pencil out.

I have a few eight weights I was holding betting on the Feb. market. Looking at the summer board it might be a hard sell to get rid of them for as much as their 6 weight counterparts. Just doesn't add up that heavy calves still green aren't worth any more than lighter cattle.

BMR, What kinda trouble would I get into if I took Canadian cattle here!!!! LOL You and Manitoba Rancher would never let me live that down!!!!

Latest posts