• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Back home on the ranch September 27, 2013

Help Support Ranchers.net:

It was a shock, Soap reading this on Facebook. Thank you for letting us know what you've been through...keep the stiff upper lip and continue getting better. God Bless.

Dog gone, friend, you had a rough go. I thank God that we still have ya, and do hope your mobility, sight and hearing come back fully. We lost a neighbor to WN a few years ago, and I, for one, had become complacent over time. We need to get to using the ol' deet. We have enough moisture to see skeeters again. Sure is good to see your posts again, we all missed ya.

Welcome home --as a west-nile survivor it is not much fun it,s like polio
I had it aug 2007 was totally paralized left arm like stroke victim if they sat me up later I fell over couldn,t control my trunk.was told I wouldn,t walk again.

today I have my arm back to 95%still have loss power in legs use a cane at times or arm crutches sometimes nothing have my days sometimes get the west-nile aches

I spent six months in rehab today I use the quad lots still drive tractors -combine etc pull myself up and in I don,t seem to gain anymore power in legs you would think I would using clutches etc.

It burns the coating off you nerves that only grows back centimeter a day when older less than that the pain you have when that burns is like a million tooth aches

This is no joke west-nile so beware use spray

I was a guy always covered up even when hot

I see you can wear your cowboy boots I can,t as throws my balance off

If it goes too far paralizes your throat

You will come out of it a lot as you are home again all helps--one thing it gives you a different outlook on life every day I wake up its a brand new day great to be alive things that use to bother a guy in everyday life are small potatoes today --God Bless

It's great to see that you're on the mend and back posting, Soap! Stick with your PT and before you know it, you'll be movin' and shakin' again.

Glad you're back home! Dang!!! I have never gave it much thought on what it would do to us humans I guess or what it did....I should of known hearing what it does to horses though! Way more serious than I ever gave it thought!

I'm working real hard on growing an extra toe on each foot so I have an even number of toes on each foot so I won't be able to get it.

Soap, i'm glad you are home and are on the mend. I'm sure things at the Spearhead was in good hands during your excused absence.

What you miss when your busy,and not on the computer much.Good to hear you are well enough to go back home,and hope you have a speedy recovery.I know the neighbour had west nile,and it took him quite a few months to get back to even being close to feeling normal.

Take care and good luck with repairs to yourself. Had a brother and BIL both get West Nile and it is a tough go. Maybe they should put you through the preconditioning program as well. :D

Sorry I did not know about your illness earlier Soapweed. Glad to hear you are home and on the mend . Your family must be elated to have you back where you belong.

Keeping you in my continued prayers for a complete and speedy recovery !! Take care of yourself :tiphat:

Big Swede said:
Holy crap Soap! I thought I had a tough summer. Hang in there my friend, praying for a full recovery.

One of the very nice therapists was a man named Gene McDonnell. He was a college classmate of your wife, and he was very helpful getting me in shape to come back out into the real world. :)

Best wishes, thoughts, and prayers your way Soapweed, as you recover and deal with your illness.

I've always enjoyed following you here as we are about the same age and I have a 13 month old grandson I adore.

Your experience sure makes one stop and be very thankful for good health and all other blessings we take so for granted.

Soap, its wonderful to see you back up and around again. I understand exactly how you feel about being in the hospital. I spent a week in the hospital in July after I was crushed in a bale processor. That waiting and feeling helpless sucks, but with a lot of prayer, great nurses and doctors, and a wonderful family we are all able to pull through. Good luck getting back into shape and getting back to normal activities!

Laura

MN Farm Girl said:
Soap, its wonderful to see you back up and around again. I understand exactly how you feel about being in the hospital. I spent a week in the hospital in July after I was crushed in a bale processor. That waiting and feeling helpless sucks, but with a lot of prayer, great nurses and doctors, and a wonderful family we are all able to pull through. Good luck getting back into shape and getting back to normal activities!

Laura

Crushed in a bale processor!!!! That must have been quite an experience!!
Glad you, too, are back posting.

My, maybe we should start a 'calamity' thread here. Seems as if many of our ranchers.net 'family' has experienced accidents or illnesses this summer.
Too many, actually. Stay safe and sound, everyone!!!

We had a miscommunication on the ranch I was working on for the summer. We were cleaning a rear load Vermeer bale processor and the forks on the back got let down on me and I was crushed. I broke the wings on the lower lumbar vertebrae L1 L2, L3 and L5. I also had lacerations on my liver and spleen. Thank God no surgery was needed. I spent the week in Sanford in Sioux Falls then went home to recoup before school started. Glad to say that I am back to work as of like 3 weeks ago, but some tasks are still difficult.

Never forget to tell you loved ones how much they mean to you. You never know when they might we taken from you. Definitely learned a lot from this and more thankful than ever. They told me in Sioux Falls, that if it would have been three inches higher I wouldn't be here, and three inches lower it would have crushed my pelvis and I would have been paralyzed, and if I would have been squished any longer I could have been paralyzed. It changes a perspective on life that is for sure.

We should get a calamity thread going!

My oh my oh my, MN Farm Girl, I don't suppose you need to be told how fortunate you are!

Wishing you a full recovery to your former health.

A buddy of our son was working on assembling a new bale processor last winter when something malfunctioned and the loading deck fell down on his back, breaking several vertebrae but not severing his spinal cord. After a lot of physio and time off, he is back to work but will need some time to fully recover.

Someone kinda famous said "There is but a step between me and death..."

Makes one realize that every morning that we wake up is another gift.

Latest posts