• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Backcountry mountain road trip - July 13, 2014 - Part Two

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Oldsignlayingontheground800x600_zps7a6221b1.jpg

Old sign laying on the ground
Astandingsign800x600_zps47b0bb7b.jpg

A standing sign
TheDepartmentoftheInteriorhasbeenaroundforawhile800x600_zpsd4ffa86a.jpg

The Department of the Interior has been around for awhile.
Aroadasfarasyoucansee800x600_zps8a89db5c.jpg

A road as far as you can see
Peachandthepickup800x600_zps39226f55.jpg

Peach and the pickup
Typicalview800x600_zps47dd2415.jpg

Typical mountain view
Notsurewhatisontherockbutitisnaabird800x600_zps22a7ce8f.jpg

Not sure what is on the rock but it isn't a bird
Moresnow800x600_zpsfe72f338.jpg

More snow
Thereisabirdonthisrock800x600_zps1973bb40.jpg

There is a bird on this rock.
Thereafewcattletobeseen800x600_zps928cfe64.jpg

There were cattle to be seen.
Thisbullwasnttooimpressive800x600_zps128020e0.jpg

Not sure if this is a herd bull or a bull in the herd
NorthisoneThefacthelooksruinedisablessing800x600_zpsf4fde674.jpg

This bull has ruined himself, but that might not be all bad.
AHerefordinhabitsthearea800x600_zps6fab5192.jpg

A Hereford inhabits the area.
Selfexplanatory800x600_zpsd1ea2f2a.jpg

Self explanatory
Therivertotheeast800x600_zpsbb37ecc6.jpg

The river to the east
Therivertothenorthwest800x600_zps92d8c7b2.jpg

The river to the northwest
Selfexplanatoryonceagain800x600_zpsaac1b438.jpg

Self explanatory once again
Mountainvista800x600_zps3880ac30.jpg

Mountain vista
Adisappointingsign800x600_zps0a41784e.jpg

A disappointing sign. Many miles would have been cut off of the trip had we been able to take this road. Oh well, we got to see
lots more pretty country. :)
Lookingatthemapwehadplannedtotakethisroad600x800_zps693b19ad.jpg

Looking at the map, we had planned to take this road.
Nicefolksthatgaveusdirections600x800_zps6c8a2080.jpg

Nice folks that gave us directions
Theyhadtraveledoverahundredmilesofbackcountryroads800x600_zps6fac6a1c.jpg

They had traveled over a hundred miles of back country roads already on this day.
Itsalongwaystojustaboutanywhere800x600_zps0942f0d4.jpg

It's a long way to just about anywhere.
Horsesinthehighcountry800x600_zpsf174be5c.jpg

Horses in the high country
Meanwhilebackattheranch800x600_zpsd2973c8f.jpg

Meanwhile, back at the ranch the next day....
Daycareisstillaproject800x600_zps0cc7473a.jpg

Day care with grandkids is still a project.

Arminto? Wow, Soap, you were really a long way from anywhere! That is some lonesome country. :shock:

When I was just a teenager, I helped drive a small herd of horses from Buffalo, Wy to Arminto. The guy we were helping was a salty hand and he finally gave up and trucked them part of the way. That was some trip.

So, where from Arminto did you go to get to the Big Horns?

Faster horses said:
Arminto? Wow, Soap, you were really a long way from anywhere! That is some lonesome country. :shock:

When I was just a teenager, I helped drive a small herd of horses from Buffalo, Wy to Arminto. The guy we were helping was a salty hand and he finally gave up and trucked them part of the way. That was some trip.

Northeast from Arminto to the "33 Mile Road," then hang a left and follow until coming out at Big Trail, then Tensleep, and back over the top to Buffalo, then use the new 80 mph speed limit back to Casper and Highway 20. It was a nice scenic trip. :)

Soapweed said:
Faster horses said:

Northeast from Arminto to the "33 Mile Road," then hang a left and follow until coming out at Big Trail, then Tensleep, and back over the top to Buffalo, then use the new 80 mph speed limit back to Casper and Highway 20. It was a nice scenic trip. :)

Big Horn Mountains were Mr. FH old stomping grounds. He spent a lot of time in them. We are planning to go camping there sometime in the next couple of weeks. Haven't done that for awhile.
Glad you had a nice trip. Sometime when you go there, go down, or up,
Crazy Woman Canyon. That drive is SCENIC! (Unless you travel in a car,
then it's not so much fun.) :p :D

Faster horses said:
Soapweed said:
Faster horses said:

Big Horn Mountains were Mr. FH old stomping grounds. He spent a lot of time in them. We are planning to go camping there sometime in the next couple of weeks. Haven't done that for awhile.

We had actually planned to go down Crazy Woman Canyon after we left Tensleep headed east, but by the time we got to the turn-off, it was raining pretty hard. Not knowing how the road might be, we decided to stick with the hardtop highway.

Soapweed said:
Faster horses said:
Soapweed said:

We had actually planned to go down Crazy Woman Canyon after we left Tensleep headed east, but by the time we got to the turn-off, it was raining pretty hard. Not knowing how the road might be, we decided to stick with the hardtop highway.

You chose to do the right thing! If I can find some old pictures, I'll try and post a couple of them here and you can see why you wouldn't want to be there in a rainstorm. Or a car. :D

Arminto at one time had the largest safe in the State of Wyoming. In the fall thousand of head of cattle and sheep were trailed down from the Big Horns then sold and loaded on the rail road there. The Army had a marching road from there to the fort at Buffalo. There was a gun fight along it between locals and thought to be outlaws and cowboys from the CY.

I was down in that area for the first time over the 4th of July. My wife's aunt and uncle ranch south of Tensleep. Interesting country with lots of history.

Latest posts