• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

backing up

Help Support Ranchers.net:

young gun

Reaction score
does anybody know an effective way to teach a horse to back up without somebody helping from the ground. some horses i have worked with pick it up very quickly and others want to fight

Hey young gun,
Do they know how to back from the ground using a voice command? Pretty easy transition to having them back on the ground to hoping up. Most don't fight at all as they know what they are supposed to do. Some will have trouble adjusting to the weight of the rider on their back. Some forget and just back up :) let me know what you are already doing with them and I'll pass on some hints.

This is gonna sound so dumb~~ Have another trained horse in the pen.Tell it "Back" Do this several times keeping the trainees attention on the trained horse.. Now,try backing both from the ground.. If the youngster can see there's no harm to the other horse,it will learn faster..

I use what is called a "one rein method". I lift one rein and apply light pressure. I keep the other rein low and use it to stablize the head and to discourage the horse from raising it's head and trying to stick it's nose out. At the same time I am closing my legs (squeezing) at or just in front of the cinch and rolling back onto my pockets. If the horse overly resists I "pop" it in the mouth using the pressure rein. That is I flex my wrist so that my little finger extends forward and then use my ring and little finger and wrist to quickly apply and release pressure to get the horse's attention. Try to viualize a bobber when a perch first starts tasting the bait.

All I'm requiring in the beginning is that first half step and then immediately release all pressure. Ride forward maybe half way around the pen then stop and repeat the process. I always try to stop in a different spot to keep them from anticipating what is going to happen next. I also switch pressure hands. One complete step back is usually the quitting point the first day. The ultimate goal is to back the horse simply by slightly lifting the reins and applying slight pressure with my legs and hips.Z

thanks for the advice i am sure it will come in handy usually i have someone with me to help with this but since i got married and move out there hasn't been anyone to help with the horses, my wife isn't a very good horseman, oops sorry i mean horse person. thanks again for the advice if i need any more help i will be sure to check here first

I start on the ground. Basiclly if you teach your horse how to properly give to pressure you can do anything. Some horses have a hard time moving your weight up(they have to lift their backs to back) so if you start on the ground it is easier. I just stand beside them as if I was in the saddle, one hand on each side and as soon as they even barely try I release. Your results always come from your release. Please don't be offended but I don't think using another person is right. Esp. if you are intimidating the horse into backnig up. Learn how to do it yourself that way you will lay a solid foundation that will help you later.

Heel Fly said:
I start on the ground. Basiclly if you teach your horse how to properly give to pressure you can do anything. Some horses have a hard time moving your weight up(they have to lift their backs to back) so if you start on the ground it is easier. I just stand beside them as if I was in the saddle, one hand on each side and as soon as they even barely try I release. Your results always come from your release. Please don't be offended but I don't think using another person is right. Esp. if you are intimidating the horse into backnig up. Learn how to do it yourself that way you will lay a solid foundation that will help you later.

Same here as per your instructions, with the added part of touching them in the belly with the spurs, LIGHTLY! This will incourage them to lift their belly so they can arch their back and get their back feet under them.

Maybe I should have just said heels, but then I don't know if it will work with just heels. :???:

With me, spurs are used for a cue, not to inflict pain.

As with what HeelFly & JB said, I ground drive young horses before I swing a leg over 'em. It doesn't seem to confuse them as much as giving commands/cues from their back.
And as JB says, spurs are merely an "extension" of your heel, not a weapon.

i don't usually use spurs on a young horse. and you are 100% correct i spurs are for cues only never used in a violent or mean manner, i was at a fun day once and watched a young rider using spurs to try and get more speed out of his horse :evil: all i wanted to do was put the saddle on him and show em how it would feel :twisted:

Latest posts