• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

backup generator for solar well?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rynophiliac

Reaction score
Hi guys, we are looking into getting a backup gas generator for our solar powered well. I'm wondering how I figure out how big of a generator we need to buy? It looks like they differ by the amount of watts they produce ranging from 800 watts to as high as 8000 watts. Is there a way to figure out how much generator we need to buy? thanks

Mike said:
volts X amps = watts

Hi Mike,

How would I find out how many volts and amps the unit is? I know there are 8 solar panels, each panel is rated at 45 watts peak power?
thanks again

rynophiliac said:
Mike said:
volts X amps = watts

Hi Mike,

How would I find out how many volts and amps the unit is? I know there are 8 solar panels, each panel is rated at 45 watts peak power?
thanks again

Solar panels usually produce DC current so the well must also run on DC?

12 volts? 24? 48?

Do you have a battery storage system?

Get the electrical specs off the pump motor. Can tell you more then.

Not enough info.

You will also need an Inverter to use an AC generator for powering a DC motor/pump.

Check with the place you got from . Good systems it's all built in on inverter need :D

I'm gonna give the pump company a call that installed it and get the details from them on the pump and have them diagnose it. I really need to get a back up generator to have on hand for the pump anyways. It looks like we have a grundfos control box that will let you run a generator easily with ac power but we are missing the cable to hook it up.

http://thesolarstore.com/solar-water-pumping-submersible-pumps-grundfos-sqflex-submersible-sola-c-53_62_158.html?osCsid=13c7cfee1057ba045eb1fa5f4bf7e146

Have your pump dealer recommend the proper generator. That way, if it doesn't work. Well..........................you know. :wink:

rynophiliac said:
I'm gonna give the pump company a call that installed it and get the details from them on the pump and have them diagnose it. I really need to get a back up generator to have on hand for the pump anyways. It looks like we have a grundfos control box that will let you run a generator easily with ac power but we are missing the cable to hook it up.

I have the same cable for my Grundfos control box. Any vendor that sells their products can get it for you if they don't already have it in stock. I used a 4000 watt generator and it ran fine but I would for sure get the specs on the pump and work the math suggested before buying a generator.

Latest posts