• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

backwards calves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jigs

Reaction score
was having a discussion today, and it was brought up that the backwards calves are a Hereford tendancy......but no one could say if it was maternal or paternal trait.... yet crossing a heref with an angus seemed to slow it up a bit..... in all a lot of BS was spread, but I am curious, is there any solid proof that links a genetic tick for backwards calves in Hereford???

And you really think anyone here is going to give you solid proof of something negative in herefords :roll: You're going to get more backward stories and anything else they can think of.

We don't have any more backward calves than the neighbors who run straight black cows.

Nicky said:
And you really think anyone here is going to give you solid proof of something negative in herefords :roll: You're going to get more backward stories and anything else they can think of.

We don't have any more backward calves than the neighbors who run straight black cows.

:agree:

In 2003 I calved out 194 cows, and ended up pulling 5 backwards... right down to the very last calf! This seemed a bit rediculous to me :D . It seems like some years I have to pull a bunch of weird presentations, and other years it's smooth sailing, I don't think it has to do with genetics :D .

I have had many discussions with cattle people and got information from knowledgable folks that backwards calves are from genetics. However, I don't think Herefords are any more susceptible than any other breed--and I think it has to be in both the sire and the dam and it's not a prominent gene.

FWIW :D

well, I know the BS was flying today, but the one guy swore up and down that it was proven by University studies....but he never gave me the name of the University, or how they arrived at this conclusion...... dad in law has pulled 5 backwards ones so far, and i am dreading the start of calving if this luck trickles over to my side of the herd!

My old Vet buddy who's had 35+ years watching it- says the biggest reason for backward and malpresentation calves is too big of calves-and too fat of cows-- either from over feeding the cows in the winter- or using high birthweight bulls-- both of which don't allow the calf to flip over right-- and from icy conditions where the cow slips on the ice shortly before calving and the calf gets out of place.....

One of the reasons I like to use lighter birthweight easy calving angus bulls... Several times I've seen backfeet coming- but with the easier calving bulls, by the time I get the puller and calving barn stuff ready and opened up- the calf is on the ground.....

Oldtimer said:
My old Vet buddy who's had 35+ years watching it- says the biggest reason for backward and malpresentation calves is too big of calves-and too fat of cows-- either from over feeding the cows in the winter- or using high birthweight bulls-- both of which don't allow the calf to flip over right-- and from icy conditions where the cow slips on the ice shortly before calving and the calf gets out of place.....

One of the reasons I like to use lighter birthweight easy calving angus bulls... Several times I've seen backfeet coming- but with the easier calving bulls, by the time I get the puller and calving barn stuff ready and opened up- the calf is on the ground.....

Works the same way with light birthweight easy calving hereford bulls too :wink:

you keep breeding to light bulls, and your replacement heifers get smaller too.... I think breed big, and get bigger frame cows. makes it a lot easier if they just fall out of the old girls.

jigs said:
you keep breeding to light bulls, and your replacement heifers get smaller too.... I think breed big, and get bigger frame cows. makes it a lot easier if they just fall out of the old girls.

In my experience of breeding to short-gestation length bulls, you can get calving ease without compromising frame, for what it's worth :D .

WyomingRancher said:
jigs said:

In my experience of breeding to short-gestation length bulls, you can get calving ease without compromising frame, for what it's worth :D .

are you saying you are an experienced breeder??? most women will not admit that! :wink: :D :D

Limos have them too. And when you come across a set of live twins usually one of those guys came the hard way. How often do you find a new calf whos raddling a little bit. Can't say whether it happens any more now then when dad ran Blacks or the Chars :)

jigs said:
WyomingRancher said:
jigs said:

are you saying you are an experienced breeder??? most women will not admit that! :wink: :D :D

Don't start this as you will get your hands slapped!!

Didn't you see the ' memo'??????

Play nice....

I thought I stayed away from anything that was banned...no C word no size references, no death to Obama slogans....

really wonder some times how this freedom of speech works when you are regulated.....

Latest posts