• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bad breach

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
Bad breach presentation on old Hereford cow last night, black calf it head was back. After just a few minutes I called the Vet. He worked couldn't hook an eye socket or catch the jaw. We ended up jacking out a leg as far as we could cut it off then the other leg. Still took a while to get the head turned and out. After a couple shots one of Oxytocin, I milked out the colostrums cow settled down, and was ok this morning.

Those must be the worst. Haven't had one for quite a few years and it is still too recent and fresh in my memory. Glad you saved the cow.

burnt said:
Those must be the worst. Haven't had one for quite a few years and it is still too recent and fresh in my memory. Glad you saved the cow.
last time I remeber doing one this way was over 30 years ago. hink it was this vet first one since he been practicing

That's a bad deal, I feel for you. I made up my mind that the next time that happens to me I'm gonna reach in there with my plastic stock handling cane and see if I can't hook the neck / head to get it started coming around. These canes are a good inch in diameter and are smooth enough that I think it wouldn't be likely to do any damage to the uterus.
It may well backfire, but last time I had a deal like that I couldn't even get the calf out the side and ended up losing both. I have felt terrible about it ever since and have been scheming to come up with a better way of handling this since that night.

Latest posts