• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Baja Mexico Pictures--------

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mustang

Reaction score
Someone commented that they enjoyed seeing places they would never see on their own. Wellllll if Baja Mexico isn't one of those places, I don't have pictures of it. These pictures were taken about forty years ago, when I was a lot younger and tougher. On the second of four trips to the Baja, we rode 1500 miles of dirt, rocks and spines, in 10 days. Some of it was even fun. Some of it was quite beautiful.

This was my "Japanese Quarter Horse" 500cc 4-stroke,, 5 gallon tank,, nothing else would take the beating.

Lots of miles of bad road.

For those who don't know, this is a US Government/BLM sign.

My son is on the right.

The Sea of Cortez, just coming into Baja De Los Angeles.

A family of four owned the tire shop, they lived in two car bodies.

School was just letting out at Gero Negro, about 400 miles from the border.

"Nothing like this, anywhere else on Baja.

Getting directions one of the many times we were lost.

Nice, new camp ground. I found three Jeeps from Moab Utah when I checked out our neighbors.

One of the many Missions we found along the back roads.

Everything that grows has spines, and they were all after my tires.

Santa Rosilia, where we turned around. about five hundred miles from the border.

"One of many" and I was happy when they finally got here.

Your pics remind me of my much younger days too some 40 years ago. I rode a Swedish quarter horse back then.. 400 husky. and did similar type trips up here in Canada. Unfortunate though wasn't smart enough to take pictures. Your pics as usual are great, and tell a nice story keep em coming I always look forward to your mustang pics and story, great photography, and always a story line... love it... thanks again :D :D :D

I rode a Spanish Quarter horse back then too ( a 250cc. Bultaco Frontera)
I still have it. A 1977 model, all original.

Are those "Agave" plants the type they make tequila from?

Nice pics. Bet you, your son, and the rest of the party have a lot of memories of that.

Mike said:

Nice pics. Bet you, your son, and the rest of the party have a lot of memories of that.

I don't know anything about the plant, except that we didn't see many of them. Those trips were quite radical for my family. My four boys went one time after I quit. Its so dangerous down there now that they gave it up too.

I have had a long line of "imported" quarter horses over the years. Started with a kawasaki 100 when i was a pup. Moved up to a susuki 250 through my teen years. Had a honda xr 500 and then a cr 500 that was alot like riding a rocket. Had a yz 250 that i desert raced til i had to start acting like an adult and buy a home. Now i have an old honda xr 250 for roaming around. A good dirt bike is almost as good for the soul as a horse. :D

Thanks for the pictures of Mexico Mustang. You are quite the world traveler! :D

leanin' H said:
I have had a long line of "imported" quarter horses over the years. Started with a kawasaki 100 when i was a pup. Moved up to a susuki 250 through my teen years. Had a honda xr 500 and then a cr 500 that was alot like riding a rocket. Had a yz 250 that i desert raced til i had to start acting like an adult and buy a home. Now i have an old honda xr 250 for roaming around. A good dirt bike is almost as good for the soul as a horse. :D

Thanks for the pictures of Mexico Mustang. You are quite the world traveler! :D

I could say I had a Honda XR 600,, but to be honest, it had me. I went a lot of places I didn't necessarily want to go on that "Crotch Rocket." My kids said I should get rid of it before I killed myself, so I ended up with one with training wheels on it. (4-wheeler)

My "world travel" has been limited to taking Mother to Hawaii once and Mazatlian once and a few bike rides to Mexico. To be honest, I'd just as soon be in Skull Valley, chasing mustangs with a camera. Older and wiser.

Mike said:

Mike, while I'm sure someone has distilled some variety of liquor from the variety of agave shown in Mustang's photos, those are not blue agave. In order for a liquor to be technically (and correctly) be called tequila, it must come from blue agave plants that have been grown, harvested, and fermented within a specific area in the state of Jalisco (in the vicinity of the town of Tequila) in central Mexico (near Guadalajara). Sort of like the only real champagne being the sparkling wine from the Champage region of France; everything else is just 'sparkling wine', or something else other than champagne.

So, too, with the liquor distilled from agave plants. Tequila (the drink) is only the liquor that comes from the area around the town of Tequila; everything else is an agave liquor, or a mezcal. Other areas of Mexico have their own versions of a liquor distilled form agave (blue agave, or other varieties): Bacanora (from Sonora, Arizona's neighbor to the south), Sotol (from Chihuahua, Coahuila, and Durango.... south of Texas....), Mezcal (from Oaxaca and other states in the southern portion of the country), etc.... I'm not sure if the distilled agave liquor from Baja is called just mezcal, aguardiente, or some other name....

Faster horses said:
Not being a world traveler, where is Mazatlian? I've never heard of it!

I had to look on the map. Its on the mainland, east of Cabo San Lucas, which is on the tip of Baja. About 1000 miles from the U.S. border. Not nearly as far south as Acapulco,,, which is another tourist trap. Mazatlian was one of those places in the world you need to see only once and they you realize how good we have it here. Big fancy hotels on the beach and ghettoes most everywhere else :)

mustang said:
Faster horses said:
Not being a world traveler, where is Mazatlian? I've never heard of it!

I had to look on the map. Its on the mainland, east of Cabo San Lucas, which is on the tip of Baja. About 1000 miles from the U.S. border. Not nearly as far south as Acapulco,,, which is another tourist trap. Mazatlian was one of those places in the world you need to see only once and they you realize how good we have it here. Big fancy hotels on the beach and ghettoes most everywhere else :)

Oh, okay. I was at Cabo, and Acapulco, and Columbia, and Panama, Costa Rica, and Aruba, etc. in 2009. You are right, it makes one realize how good we have it. Aruba is the only place I really felt safe...

Latest posts