• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Baldy bull market?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

GAF601

Reaction score
This is something that crossed my mind. I purchased a Black Hereford bull early '22 and my predominantly commercial Angus cows are calving. The cows have done a great job over the years and a few are up in the age. I was considering keeping a bull calf or two of my best cows and possibly keep one for the farm. Is there a market for black/ or red baldy bulls as breeding stock?

I wouldn't do it. You don't know what you would get out of that many crosses. Aren't Black Herefords crossbred? Some people sell Composite bulls, for awhile anyway. Those offspring tend to not be uniform. Are your cows purebred?

Last edited:
Its kind of like horse industry. Your name is everything. At least with horses you can show them to prove performance but with cattle buyers are basically taking word of the producer. It would be very tough and expensive to get established in my area with any type of purebred outfit.
Not sure how to explain this. I used to work for a purebred outfit. People want to buy bulls from someone who has been in purebred industry for years and if a small guy had same breeding stock they are not going to want to buy from him.
New trend here is charolais bulls ,Angus cows.

Latest posts