• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bale Grazing

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We have had a few big winds here that tipped things over. We have since gotten a lot smarter about setting corners together to brace them. We will often set them up in "T" shaped or other configurations to brace against wind. Some of the fancier ones I have seen advertised have the boards set in brackets, rather than nailed on. I think these would be quick to stand up. The other option, which is what we plan to do for corrals going forward is to drive a big post and chain the panels to the post and each other.

RSL said:
We have had a few big winds here that tipped things over. We have since gotten a lot smarter about setting corners together to brace them. We will often set them up in "T" shaped or other configurations to brace against wind. Some of the fancier ones I have seen advertised have the boards set in brackets, rather than nailed on. I think these would be quick to stand up. The other option, which is what we plan to do for corrals going forward is to drive a big post and chain the panels to the post and each other.

Thanks, RSL
Big posts--I got a pile of big power poles and an excavator--are what I'm thinking. And a curved or v shape...

Somebody in Wyoming did a study---models on ice----very little spacing between boards---V shaped and faced into prevailing wind. They had a formula that 'wings' could only be so long, in proportion to height........idea is it deflects wind rather than disrupts it.....Maybe more of a right angle than a V...... I've been wanting to try this--I see a couple down the valley, the guy made kinda a V, then bent and extended the legs parallel to each other---out in the open, winds are prevailing SW but looks like a cow could circle and get some shelter no matter what--think I know where there's a pile of really heavy metal siding---anybody build one like that?

Bale grazing may work for some, but not for me. In my situation, absolutely to much waste, and in that waste area, weeds were problems in the next few yrs. good luck to you...

Joe, we have 4 of 20 some built that are 7.5 high by 24 long. 2 3/8ths oil pipe frame with 24 gauge, I think, sheeting horizontal. 18 inches underneath gap, then a split between 2 36 inch sheets. 5 ft legs at 90, but made to swivel for transport. We had 2 fold from 45 to flat in a breeze, they were wired at the corner. Didn't bend in the slide. Using chain at the ends and conveyor belt for the sheeting now. I might know where some steel is now too. These are more stable, but are used fairly close to some trees.

Local guy here has about 22 bale rings he sets out moves them over once a week and refills them. He has them strung across a 1/4 mile line. He makes them clean it up pretty well but does leave some behind for bedding. He raises top quality hay and only feeds once a week he may add a few bales during the week but that's the way I would do it if I were so inclined. I unroll all of my hay just my preference.

I know some folks that use the rings with good effect. For those interested, here are some recent numbers from our last trial round of bale grazing. These are bales placed on a site that was grazed 2 years previously, then grazed last winter. From my latest report...
"the average production of the pasture that we are currently monitoring was 2622. The average of the area impacted by the last round of bales was 3335 and the spaces between the bales averaged around 1910. So nearly a 175% increase in production in the areas impacted by the last round of bales."

We also suspect the feed quality has improved, but are waiting on those test results.

RSL said:
I know some folks that use the rings with good effect. For those interested, here are some recent numbers from our last trial round of bale grazing. These are bales placed on a site that was grazed 2 years previously, then grazed last winter. From my latest report...
"the average production of the pasture that we are currently monitoring was 2622. The average of the area impacted by the last round of bales was 3335 and the spaces between the bales averaged around 1910. So nearly a 175% increase in production in the areas impacted by the last round of bales."

We also suspect the feed quality has improved, but are waiting on those test results.
must have a lot to do with climate. All I've seen from a couple that have tried it here is big patches of weeds and it killed the grass. Must be a "here" thing.

There's a guy here who swaths about 3 quarters of grass, bales it with an Allis Roto Baler, never touches the bales, and winters his cows on the place. Cows do well, no weed problems, and his pastures are steadily improving.

Latest posts