• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

bale rings/feeders

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hayguy

Reaction score
are some feeders better than others when it comes to wastage issues? have you found one that works much better than some others or are they all bad?

don't know if i dare ask :? but what about sheep feeders :???:

Best round feeders I've used were called Rover 6's made somewhere around Calgary. Per found me the contact info a while back....think it is a different company now but give him a shout. They are very well made & the design wastes less feed than most others.

We like the tombstone or hay savers made by Hiqual and H&W. Spendy but so is hay :? Don't think they pull near as much hay with them.

Superior makes an excellent feeder. Pretty pricy, which explains why I don't own one :oops:
Neighbours have them, and it appears they stand up very well to bulls, and waste seems to be very minimal, so they are on my want list for the bulls if nothing else. For the cows I will continue to roll out hay as always.

AB AG study found that just a simple "soup bowl" type feeder worked pretty well to eliminate most waste. I think they may have plans available at ropin the web. We lose some course stemmed stuff on our bale grazing but keeping the electric wire in place one extra day seems to work pretty well around here to eliminate waste.
Bulls and calves waste a bit.

I bought one from Go Bob Pipe that is the best I have ever used and built to last. The bottom is not skirted, but it is amazing how they waste virtually nothing out of this feeder. And it is built to last.

sic 'em reds said:
I bought one from Go Bob Pipe that is the best I have ever used and built to last. The bottom is not skirted, but it is amazing how they waste virtually nothing out of this feeder. And it is built to last.

I went to their web site - - -they look great!

thank-you all for the input

if you listen to all the adds saying that their feeder will save x ammount of hay over the next guy's feeder, pretty soon we wouldn't have to put any hay out at all :lol: :lol: :lol:

lot's of good designs though.

I'm trying to supplement with some second cut alfalfa,lot's of leaf but stem's like tree stumps, if i roll it out so that all can get some, they leave the stem's and start using them for bedding.

if i run it through the processor i get shattered leaves blowing all over the place.

if i put it in feeders they pick at it till it's gone but i need more feeders so that all can get some

any other ideas?

I have seen plenty of cases of bloating using bale feeders with alfalfa as the leaves can accumulate in the bottom and cause issues especially on hoar frosty days. If you use a bale feeder consider moving it often. It works good as a waste management strategy as well. I have some hutterite made 3 bale cradle type feeders that also work well.

I sell the red Bextra bale feeders and everybody who's bought one seems well satisfied with them.

Your mileage may vary.....

Latest posts